Your favorite step sequence

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sk8ingcoach, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Jeff Buttle: Naqoyqaatsi. Those little disjointed jerks he does fascinate me.

Patrick Chan: Virtually all of them, but his second Aranjuez sequence is just glorious. Though that whole program might as well be described as a footwork sequence interrupted with spins and jumps it's so complex.

Stephane Lambiel: Poeta. Both of them. Amazing.

Virtue/Moir: Their non-touching sequences in their 2007 OD, 2010 OD and 2011 SD were just sublime pieces of skatecraft.

Takahashi/Tran: "Feeling Good."

Takahashi: His "Eye" Tango SP steps were jawdroppingly good.

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks Jun Y, Nours, floskate, briancoogaert, and others (especially for the links to programs and step sequences). These wonderful examples (David Liu, Petr Barna, Robin Cousins, Dai Takahashi, Matt Savoie, and Jeremy Abbott in particular) of lovely performances and transcendent moments in time are truly what makes figure skating exciting, and its what figure skating is all about at its best. Kudos to the skaters and to the coaches, and last but not least, to the choreographers!

4. miki88

miki88 New Member

I think you are referring to her Chopin Ballade Exhibition. Here is a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4jXbjQL45U :)

I also really like Mao's step sequence in her Clair De Lune SP.

Takahashi always have exciting step sequences.

Under 6.0 system, I loved the step sequences from Michelle's Romanza program (fast and great ice coverage) and Lu Chen's Spring Breeze SP, which beautifully conveyed the theme of her program.

5. falling_dance

falling_dance Happy for Kozuka, Sad for D. Murakami

6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Interesting discussion of 6.0 vs. IJS. Almost all of the examples that immediately sprang to my mind were 6.0 programs, because of the creativity and emphasis on musicality. I remember them because of how they fit into an overall program. I remember the exact part of the music that was playing. Also, speed! Some IJS skaters like Takahashi and Kostner have difficult footwork with great speed, but some skaters are painfully slow and I hate that thing where they stop, and like, are going to head in the other direction, and then come back, and stop again, and finally get on with it. So ugly. Going through these youtube videos, the old ones seem sooo much shorter!

In addition to many already mentioned (Candeloro's D'Artagnan, Yagudin's Winter), here are some other favorites:

Oksana Baiul's Swan Lake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zKfZVurJY&feature=player_detailpage#t=123s - The steps are simple, but it's the most musical ever... the energy, expression, and excitement :swoon: The spiral sequence here is also exquisite.

Surya - Caravan... again simple, but fun, fierce, fantastic interp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5G8rQl7L0g&feature=player_detailpage#t=148s

Kostner's one foot sequence from her 2003 SP... her early days... light and unpretentious http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KZBz7juIsg4#t=108s

Abt - Artsakh... such a dancer http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-zipCnbnxp4#t=66s
    the second sequence is even better http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-zipCnbnxp4#t=133s (please disregard the jackass Hamilton talking about Eldredge's quad)

I think it was Dmitrenko who had a lovely circular step on one foot to Albinoni's Adagio circa 2000, which I can't find

youtube is slow for me, so I'll just post names...

N&K - Ain't No Sunshine

DenSta - Baroque with the lovely interweaving straightline steps

G&P - 1995 OD And FD

A&P and L&A - 2002 ODs, flamenco

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

YES YES YES to all these. I would add:
    The original and best drunken pirate footwork, from Braden Overett

Footwork in Jeremy Abbott's Santana SP choreographed by Kurt Browning (heck, I love the whole program too)

Jeremy's 2011 LP Footwork (whole program, really) so delightfully reflective of the music and the film. Compare the two step sequences with the sound muted and see how utterly different they are in style. Now this is a skater with RANGE (and thank you, Pasquale Camerlengo).

Jeremy 2012 LP The second sequence especially. Of COURSE.

8. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

How about in pairs? I find that most pairs step sequences are not good, but perhaps you all know of some good ones?

9. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

90s boys

Speaking of Alexander Abt and one-foot step sequences, this isn't a competitive program, but it is pretty incredible

Couldn't find Dmitrenko's one-foot sequences, but this one is fun, starting from the double axel

Two great step sequences and a double axel-steps sequence from Sebastien Britten

Amazing ice coverage with good complexity and what's that right at the end of the circle? Second sequence is good as well

Let's up the ante on that circle into double axel

I love a good serpentine step sequence with a fun theme or effortless speed

I love the energy (and the 1.5 toe loop) in this sequence from Andrejs Vlascenko here

another sequence with 1.5 jump from Michael Weiss

10. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

11. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Cohen - Malaguena

12. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

13. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

14. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

15. karlon

karlon New Member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  16. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

17. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Abt was/is a wonderful skater who didn't get his due, but did you have to drag the comments about Todd into this discussion? That said, I like Scott Hamilton as a skater/person, not so much as a commentator.

Re; footwork - just about anything Kurt does!

18. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

19. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Never heard of David Liu. That was most enjoyable!! Dude was all COP before COP--interesting and creative spin positions included.

20. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Possibly my favorite Abt routine. I wish he had done a Blues program because his edges are perfect for it.

Ah the gorgeous skating skills of Japanese men ...

One thing that emerges for me is how large the gap was among skaters in terms of step sequence choreography in the 6.0 era. The step sequences from skater to skater were very different in their technical content and difficulty/intricacy/variety (to borrow a phrase from components). I wonder if skaters and coaches back then felt they had little incentive to put a difficult step sequence in a program and practice really hard for it.

21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Abt's SP skated to the Russian sailors dance has wonderful footwork. I don't remember if he skated it in 2003 or another year.

22. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

He had it for two seasons, 2002-3 (the year he won Russian Nats) and 2003-4.

Remember when he did Gasolina at the Red Square gala a few years back? That was fun.

23. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed Abt back in the day, and thought he was underappreciated, but his posture annoys the heck out of me.

24. elif

elif Active Member

25. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. screech

screech Well-Known Member

27. lala

lala Well-Known Member

28. elif

elif Active Member

29. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

That is the first routine that popped into my head as soon and I saw this thread. I just love it.

Much better than having to listen to Scott! Thank you!

I loved the Sailor routine...and Gasolina was such fun. He did some really great exhibition numbers...Zorro was another one! (for fun his Pulp Fiction & Mambo, also loved What a Wonderful World & the A Postcard in Winter)

*sigh* I really miss Abt!

30. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I must add Mao's step sequence in her Rachamaninoff LP in 2014, particularly in Sochi. It had both technique and emotion.

Chan's step sequence in his 'Elegy' SP was wonderful. Actually most of his step sequences are. He flies across the ice.