Your Favorite Potato Chip

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

It is just after 8 in the morning on Sunday right now, I am slightly hungover, and eating chips. :)

2. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I love Tostitos hint of lime :swoon:.

3. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

My fav has always been Lays Plain. However, I had to cut back on the amount I was eating -- weight gain was happening and I noticed an increase of abdominal gas occuring so I cut back to a small bowl about once a week or longer.
    And then last night happened.
    I ate a bunch while reading in bed.
    About 2.5 hours later I am feeling even more nauseous than usual, my upper abdomen is very uncomfortable and my bowels are screaming at me. That was at 1:50 am. By the time I visited the bathroom to relieve the pressure in the bowels (5 trips in all), took Alka Seltzer for the upper discomfort, added an extra blanket cause I was getting chills and found a position my back was comfortable with, it was after 3:30 before I finally got back to sleep.
    Moral of this story ... no more chips at night time; may possible have to remove from diet completely :( This really sucks cause when I feel sick I usually want Canada Dry Ginger Ale to drink and I nibble on the Lays for the salt. Perhaps once I have my gastroscopy I'll know better whether one of my fav snacks will become a "banned substance" for this old lady!

4. duane

duane New Member

I'm from Detroit, where 'Better Made' potato chips are made. The factory was right around the block from where we lived, and it was so cool as kids standing at the window watching chips being made.

But Better Made never had anything on Lays when it came to taste. My favorites are plain and sour cream and onion.

5. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I hear ya. I LOVE popcorn. Can't eat it, though, diverticulosis. :(

6. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

I love ruffles all dressed.

This thread reminded me that th brand I grew up on, Hostess, is pit of business, at least here.

There used to be two types of ruffles chips - with thin or fatter ridges. Maybe one was actually called ridges? Do they still come in both types?

I also like the Miss Vicky's sea salt and vinegar, but they hurt your teeth after a while.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I just had a flashback to when I lived in Scotland for a while as a kid. They used to have a kind of crisps that came plain, but with a little blue packet of salt in the bag. You then added the salt yourself, as little or as much as you wanted. Don't know why that was such a good idea, but I remember it being very popular.

8. venja

venja New Member

I was waiting for someone to say this. I love all dressed chips and Doritos spicy nacho chips.

Chips are my downfall - once I start eating them I can't stop until I finish the bag. Cake, too.

9. jenlyon60

jenlyon60 Member

Yes, Ruffles used to have different ridges. It's only been maybe the past 5-6 years (maybe a bit more?) that the ridges have been what they are now.

ETA: And I can't find them in the states, but Balsen Paprika Chips (which I used to buy when I lived in Germany) are YUMMY. Better than American barbecue-flavored chips.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Oh happy memories! When I was 10 I went to Germany for a couple of months, and being a very picky eater back then, I basically lives on spaghetti, nutella and paprika chips :)

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I like plain Lays and Carolina BBQ Utz.

For non-potato, I like BBQ or Chili Cheese Fritos.

Trader Joes has awesome Rice Chips with Adzuki Bean and peppery baked Lentil chips.

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Rice chips? One of my favourite snacks in the universe used to be cream cheese (plain or scallion) on plain salty rice crackers. I say *used to be* because that was when I lived in New York for a couple of years, where the cream cheese is To. Die. For. Ben's :swoon: and even whatever the local deli served up were far superior to anything I've ever found here at home.

Just as well because I used to eat it by the tubload. Sometimes for dinner.

Anti snark is that I have a business trip to NY later this month :rollin:

13. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Utz, regular is fine, nice and salty!

14. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Was at the grocery store today and got the brand name for the New York Cheddar chips that are my favourite - it's Kettle.

Is this a Canadian brand or can you get them in the US as well?

They are the most awesome chips IMO.

15. misskarne

misskarne #408

I don't know about the US, but I know you can get them here, and I love their Honey Baked Ham or Honey Soy Chicken. Yummy!

Also, you can't go past Smith's Chicken or Salt and Vinegar.

16. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

My absolute favorite potato chip is a locally-made brand, "Tri-Sum" but they're hard to find and expensive. After that I go for Utz. I don't really care for Lays - I find them really greasy. Cape Cod Kettle chips are good too.

17. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I used to really like Kettle brand -- the NY Cheddar is good, but I really loved their Honey Dijon and their Salt & Vinegar in particular. But the last few times I've had them I've found that the bottom 1/4 is just dripping in grease. Ick. Now I prefer Tyrrell's or Deep River.

18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Funny, around here, Utz was my absolute favorite until about 10 years ago. Then they got really, realy greasy and I switched to the less greasy Lays.