Your Favorite Potato Chip

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Sep 27, 2012.

1. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

The Hanover Pennsylvania area is the potato chip capital of the world. Of all the brands made there, my favorite is Utz.
    (Snyders of Hanover Pretzels are made in Hanover as well)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

My all-time favorite potato chips were Charles' Chips -- they came in huge round tins and IIRC, you could have them delivered by the company on a regular basis (like dairies would deliver milk). I haven't seen them in years, though, so I'm wondering if they even exist anymore.

Lately, I've been loving Sweet Potato Chips (can't remember the company who makes the ones I like, but they're pricey enough that I only have them occasionally. They're awesome if you pop a bunch in the oven on a cookie sheet and melt bleu cheese on top of them :swoon:.

Dill Pickle-flavored Potato Chips are also awesome.

Chocolate-covered potato chips are the perfect blend of sweet and salty :swoon:. Our family usually has a big batch of them every year at our Hannukah/Christmas family get-together.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Cape cod regular. Simple and perfect.

4. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Like Jenny, chips are my favourite, more so than sweets.

I love plain, Old Dutch ripple chips. I'm a simple chip gal. Although, I have developed a taste for Miss Vicki's sweet chili chips, and Lay's cheddar and sour cream.
    I don't eat chips very often... Mr. Habs and I both have a huge weakness for them, so we find it's better to not have them in the house. :shuffle:

5. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Covered Bridge even makes a lobster-flavoured chip - they are a special Maritime treat for me :)

6. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Yes, my favourite. :)

7. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Utz everything! Regular chips, ripple chips, kettle chips, pretzels! Way better than other US brands. Was ranked #1 chips, by Consumer Reports.

Cyn, I remember Charles Chips. We always got them from my Dad's clients at holiday time. That and the big can of different flavored popcorn. And a bottle of some liquor, of some sort. Sometimes we would get the Italian "boot" filled with cherries, soaking in grain alcohol. My brother and I decided to (sneak) try a cherry once (we were about 5 & 8) almost fell over, they were so strong! Love sweet potato ships! A bunch of companies are jumping on that band wagon recently.

We have a grocery store near us that was making homemade chips for a while. They were beyond belief YUM! I don't know why they stopped making them. :(

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  8. znachki

znachki Active Member

I've tried every variety I could find, but none of them stacked up :(

You mentioned the Doritos, I liked those too, and I wondered about that.

If I could only ever have one chip-like thing for the rest of my life, it would be Nacho Cheese Doritos. Yum!

9. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Lays Salt & Vinegar.

10. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm a potato chip tester.

Really. (Well, actually, I'm the assistant) We test 1000's of individual varieties for chip quality, to find new and better choices for the farmer and processor.

The best chips are still hot from the fryer. :D I never get tired of them.

We eliminate clones that are not nice and white, but personally, I like the ones that have more colour. The colour is caused my the sugars in the potato caramelizing, and it's yummy.

I like my chips fried, not baked. I like Lays better than Old Dutch, and I prefer plain with lots of cream cheese dip. I don't like kettle cooked chips. They hurt my mouth too.

I also test them for French Fry quality, and boil and bake quality.

11. cruisin

12. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

A dream job. :lol:

13. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Oh. my. lord. I would weigh 500 pounds. Seriously. Of all gastronomic temptations, my greatest downfall is potato chips. I gave them up at the beginning of the summer and lost 15 pounds, but I still pause at the chip aisle in the supermarket and dream of the deliciousness contained there.

My favorites are Kettle Salt & Pepper, Salt and Salt & Vinegar. After that, I like Cape Cod plain. And within any bag, my greatest delight are the ones that get stuck together or got folded over onto themselves.

I like them dipped in plain sour cream or yogurt, but sometimes I also use a soft goat cheese spread. And sometimes I use them like crackers with hummus.

If I could only get my 20's metabolism back I'd be in business. :swoon: But until then, I have no self control and therefore just have to stay away entirely. :(

14. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Me too, but then I'm not a condiment fan either. Not even ketchup on my burgers and fries.

Chips should be lightly salted and kettle cooked (Miss Vicky's are good).

I'll eat barbeque chips (Lay's) in small quantities, but prefer them plain. Salt and vinegar chips are painful to eat, and other flavours are just unnecessary.

15. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

Crushed up very fine. The cookies actually taste like pecan sandies. They are very good.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  16. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

This, or barbs. I like to dip my plain chips in applesauce.

17. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

New York Cheddar is my favourite - I can't remember the name of the brand, actually, just recognize the chips by the bright yellow bag.

Second is Old Dutch Ripple Chips.

Third Mrs. Vickle's Ripples, but they are really oily, more oily than the Old Dutch.

18. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Back when I was younger, Ruffles original flavor was my fave. But it would make me feel yucky after I ate almost the whole bag. Now my fave is Trader Joe's Potato Trio (made from red, blue, and Yukon gold potatoes) with no salt. The fat content isn't too bad either, 6g/serving, no saturated fat. Unfortunately, I guess I'm the only one that likes them because they discontinued them in less than a year. So I guess I'll settle for Tim's no salt chips with the same amount of fat, except it has 0.5g saturated fat. I like the taste of naked potatoes and the crunch/crispiness of low fat potato chips.

19. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I'm jealous! Talk about living the glamourous life! :glamor:

20. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

21. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Ketchup

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I sympathize :( The list of food and cosmetic products I love that have been discontinued grows and grows, along with favourite restaurants that have closed. Sigh.

A chip :sekret: in our midst!!

23. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I love potato chips but only eat them plain, no dip. Saltier the better.

My favourite are Hostess ( hard to find, one local supermarket still stocks them) , and when not available, Lays. I don't mind Herr's. Don't like Old Dutch. Will not eat Pringles. They taste like pressed mashed potatoes to me. Mushy and hard at the same time is not what I want in a crisp.

24. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

These. They're pretty much only available in western West Virginia - I grew up on these, and to me, nothing tastes as good. I could have some shipped to me in Minneapolis, but I like to keep them a special treat for when I go home.

25. intheknow

intheknow Member

When I lived in Baltimore, I developed a great fondness for Old Bay flavored chips from Utz. I don't think you can buy them outside of Maryland. BTW, you can get Charles Chips in the can on line (and pretzels, too) from the Vermont Country Store.

I feel about potato chips the way most people feel about chocolate!

26. cruisin

You can get them in NJ. I think Utz started out as a local market brand. You couldn't get them in NJ until about 10 years ago. I had them in the Philly area, and loved them.

And if any of you can fid the Xochitl tortilla chips in your stores - definitely try them, they really are amazing!

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Any tips for homemade chips? We have a deep fryer that we've used for fries, but never chips.

Type of potato? Single or twice fry? Other tips?

28. cruisin

I've never done chips. But, I have deep fried corn and flour tortillas, for salads. Yum Xs 10!

29. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Wow. I didn't even know that was an option.

30. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Oh yes you can! :scream: