Your favorite old fashioned lady skater (pre-Janet Lynn era)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Feb 5, 2013.

?

Who is your favorite old fashioned lady skater (from the pre-Janet Lynn era)?

1. Sonja Henie, Norway

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Cecilia Colledge, Great Britain

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Megan Taylor, Great Britain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jeanette Altwegg, Great Britain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jacqueline du Bief, France

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Barbara Ann Scott, Canada

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  7. Alena Vrzáňová, Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. Tenley Albright, USA

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  9. Carol Heiss, USA

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  10. Sjoukje Dijkstra, Netherlands

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Peggy Fleming, USA

28 vote(s)
    43.8%
  12. Gabriele Seyfert, East Germany

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

This is such a good idea. It totally sounds like something Academy voters would eat up.

2. sadya

sadya Active Member

They said in a skating documentary that being a ladies champion also meant representing your skating club or country off the ice. So apparently even how skaters dressed and ate was important.

Sjoukje Dijkstra talked in her autobiography about her time with Gerschwiller. When he coached her, she lived in his house with his family. Off ice both Gerschwiller and his wife were strict about the behaviour and habits of Dijkstra and that meant everything in daily life. (and he almost never gave compliments, Dijktra wrote that her winning worlds was 'not bad' according to Gerschwiller, that was a huge compliment coming from him. I remember footage of an interview where the press was very happy with the winning performance of Dijkstra and when they asked Gerschwiller about her performance all he said was she had some mistakes they'd work on, the reporters were surprised and said there were no mistakes in that program, 'yes, you wouldn't notice them, would you' said Gerschwiller, I can't remember the exact words he used though]

Chan once talked about Osborne Colson also commenting on his behaviour off ice, he gave an example of Colson dining with Chan's family and correcting the behaviour of Chan even then. It was probably very normal for athletes all those decades ago when Colson was younger to be completely moulded in a certain person with certain behaviour on and off the ice.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  3. SkatingLover

SkatingLover Member

Gabby Seyfert forever!!

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  4. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I wish coaches would do this today in all sorts of sports. I hear the word "character" constantly in sports commentary, yet I rarely see anything except athletes displaying interest in themselves. This is quite scary consider the amount of trouble an athlete can get into with the amount of money running through their hands.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. sadya

sadya Active Member

I forgot to add I voted for Colledge because I loved her in a documentary where she talked about how she learnt to bend backwards from a circus performer and so developped the layback en she almost beat Henie, I enjoyed listening to her stories very much and of course she had more interesting ice moves.

6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Tres voidy! What are those jumps at 3:35 called?

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

8. bardtoob

I believe they are one footed Waltz jumps, that is, an Axel take off with a half rotation landed on the same foot.

Rarely the case, but, in this context, you are so WRONG, skateindreams ;) . . . the proper name for those jumps are COLLEDGEs.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction!

10. bardtoob

For all I know, I probably learned it from you :D