Your favorite holiday cartoon specials?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by SharonDudd, Dec 4, 2010.

1. SharonDudd

SharonDudd New Member

I am a child of the mid-50's and during the 50's and 60's in Chicagoland, we had WGN with the original Bozo and Frazier Thomas for our cartoon entertainment. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: We had "Hardrock, CoCo and Joe" and "Suzy Snowflake" so let's take a stroll down memory lane. Hold onto the handrail and observe the EXIT signs... :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT5Ohgl7eTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEe6KOWdbUs

My kids grew up with Charlie Brown and Rudolph etc. I'm just curious if other regions in the US or elsewhere had regional cartoon favorites as well? Please share them with us if you can?

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Rudolph and Charlie Brown, hands down. Some of the others are fun (LOVE all the stop motion animation from the '60s) and I'll watch them, but Rudolph is destination tv every year.

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

CHARLIE BROWN! :cheer2:

4. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Definitely Charlie Brown and Rudolph for me too.

5. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

My favorites are the "Family Guy" X-Mas episodes. The look on Stewie's face when he gets the plutonium he asked for is priceless.

6. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Absolutely Charlie Brown. Still makes me a bit teary. Also like the Sponge Bob Christmas episode.

7. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I love this episode too! I remember totally losing it when Lois pushes Jimmy Stewart off the bridge.

I'd also add Charlie Brown, which I've always loved.

8. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Another vote for Charlie Brown and Rudolph. The Family Guy Christmas is hilarious. I love the part where Lois loses it and storms out and they all want to find her and Peter is like "if this is how she behaves at Christmas, do we even want her back?" :rofl:

I also like the Grinch and when I was a kid they always showed the Teddy Bears picnic on Christmas Eve, so I dig it up every year too.

9. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yon2YuXssvo

The Year Without a Santa Claus!!!!!
    My fave!!! Love Snow and Heat Miser.

Oh and I love Charlie Brown, and the Grinch and Rudolph, and the one where the 2 elves pretend one of the reindeer is a dog and put socks on his ears. What one is that? - Oh Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Oh and Frosty. Okay - a little excited by this thread!

10. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I love the mouse version of the night before Christmas.

11. SharonDudd

SharonDudd New Member

Thanks Accordion! I totally forgot that one! The year without a Santa Claus!

12. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Got 2 B Grinch and Frosty. PS. I grew up with Bozo the clown as well! And I don't have nightmares about clowns :lol:

13. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

Rudolph, Frosty, The Grinch and Charlie Brown - must watch every year. My nieces and nephews are old enough now to start enjoying these shows and I'm looking forward to introducing them to these classic cartoons.

14. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I bought a set a couple of years ago that has Rudolph, Frosty, Frosty Returns, Little Drummer Boy (which they don't even show on TV anymore and I figured out why after I watched it last year lol!), Santa Claus is Coming to Town and a random one about a toy maker who's daughter's boyfriend goes off to war and supposedly dies and she goes blind.. oh and it's a Cricket telling the story.. it's terrible lol!

Rudolph confused me though because when I used to watch it as a kid they catch the snow monster and the dentist elf finds a bad tooth and pulls it and it turns out that's why the monster is so grouchy and everyone is happy. In the version on the DVD they just yank out all of his teeth so he has no way of defending himself. I must have watched the PC version on TV or something lol!

15. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

The Grinch
    Frosty The Snowman
    Rudolph
    Charlie Brown

16. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

A Charlie Brown Christmas, for sure!

When you watch it next time, pay attention to the color of Shermy's coat. (Shermy is the kid who always ends up playing a shepherd.) He is standing on the right hand side of the tree in the back row. When the gang yells, "Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!" his coat will change color! I think this was just a painting error, not intentional.

Trivia that many of you probably don't know: The little boy in the orange shirt who dances by shrugging his shoulders and looking side to side is named "5." That's right, his name is a number. The two little twin girls dancing are his sisters, "3" and "4." Schulz added this family, whose last name was their zip code number, "95472," to the strip when zip codes were first introduced, but they were seldom seen after the mid-60's.

17. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

“A Charlie Brown Christmas” It introduced me to jazz. Love the score.
    Also, it was the first cartoon to use actual kids’ voices.

18. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Charlie Brown and Grinch, with Rudolph close behind.

19. SharonDudd

SharonDudd New Member

It's always amazing to me what a wealth of knowledge there is around FSU! Such great tidbits!

I LOVE IT!!

MR. MAGOO!! OMG!!!!! I totally forgot about that one! Thanks guys!!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  20. cmkrcwi

cmkrcwi New Member

My favorites are the Mister Magoo Christmas Carol and Rudolph.

21. missflick

missflick New Member

How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Long live Boris Karloff.

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Another vote for Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol

And it's not a cartoon, but it has a cartoon in it - Pee Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special.

23. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

A Charlie Brown Christmas.....How the Grinch Stole Christmas....Mickey's Christmas Carol....

ETA: forgot about Rudolph and Frosty the Snowman.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  24. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Rudolph is #1 for me. But Charlie Brown too. And yeah, gotta love the Grinch.

Not exactly a cartoon, but I also love Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas (a Jim Henson muppet production). RiverBottom Nightmare Band!

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Oh yeah! Forgot about the original Grinch! Sorry Jim Carey, not interested in your “interpretation.”

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  26. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Many of my must watches have already been mentioned, so I'll add a newbie that came on the scene last year...

That would be Disney's Prep and Landing when we're introduced to Wayne and Lanny The Christmas Elves. They, along w/their other P&L Elven Team Members, are the ones who get the houses ready for Santa on that big night. Only...Wayne was hoping for a big promotion. Supervisior of the Naughty List. He doesn't get it, but gets a brand new graduate of Kringle Academy as a partner and while they're in the house they're *supposed* to be prepping, Wayne decided to let his Naughty side out and...

Now if I finished that paragraph up there, you'd know the rest of it and where would be the fun in that!?! ;) :D

This is the best Christmas animated special I've seen in a very long time. Not only was it funny and great for the kids, there were enough references for the Big Kids watching to get a laugh too. Such as all the call signs given to the Elves, Santa, the Reindeer and the Sleigh (Rosebud BTW).

There's going to be a sequel of sorts on Tuesday night at 8:30 on ABC after A Charlie Brown Christmas. It's called Disney's Prep and Landing ~ Operation Secret Santa and apparently, this year they've got a switch in bosses. This year, they're being assigned to Mrs. Claus, as voiced by Betty White.

I can't wait to see what they'll be up to this year, as I really enjoyed this last year. Last year's special's already been shown up here in Canada, but I hope to get a chance to see it again in the next couple of weeks.

Can you tell I really loved this thing? :)

27. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

The Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast Christmas episode. Gabba gabba hey, gabba hey, hey, hey... :D

28. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Now, I'm Jewish, but I do like "A Charlie Brown's Christmas" and "Shrek the Halls." Oh, and as a huge Disney fan, "Mickey's Christmas Carol."

29. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

My favorite as a child was The Little Troll Prince which probably nobody has heard of. I would kill to find it on dvd.

I also enjoyed The Best Christmas Pageant Ever which is also my favorite Christmas book ever ;)

30. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Bar-b-que!!!!!

I still have that on vhs tape.