Your Favorite "Healthy" Recipes

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Ok so Paula's news combined with a zillion new year resolutions and my desire for simple, healthy (or slimmed down) recipes that happen to taste good is my goal here. My contribution is from Kathy Manweiler and her recipe for fruit salsa with cinammon-sugar chips. Anyone have anything delicious to share?
    Fruit Salsa w/Cinammon-Sugar Chips

For salsa:

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1/2 teaspoon lime zest, finely grated

1 tablespoon honey

1 cup watermelon, seeded and finely minced

1/2 cup fresh blueberries, finely minced

1/2 cup fresh strawberries, finely minced

1/4 cup fresh raspberries, finely minced

1/4 cup kiwi fruit, finely minced

For tortilla chips:

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon cinnamon

Five taco-size flour tortillas

Water

To make salsa: In a small container, combine the lime juice, lime zest and honey and stir until well mixed. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the watermelon, berries and kiwi. Transfer the five-fruit mixture to a fine-mesh strainer and let excess juice drain off for about 5 minutes. Return the drained fruit to the bowl and fold in the lime juice-honey mixture. Chill the salsa until ready to serve.

To make chips: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small container, mix together the sugar and cinnamon. Cut each tortilla into eight wedges and put the wedges on a nonstick baking sheet. Using a pastry brush,

lightly coat each tortilla wedge with water and sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture on all of the wedges. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the wedges are lightly browned and crispy

(I eat way too many sweets so I use this to substitute (or use whatever fruit I have available.) I'm sorry I'm not sure of the calories. I was just trying NOT to chow on cookies or loads of chocolate.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Best Spinach Salad Ever

2 packages pre-washed fresh spinach
    2 cans mandarin oranges
    1/3 cup slivered almonds
    1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1/3 cup diced red onion
    three dashes of oregano
    three dashes of lemon pepper
    1 part olive oil mixed with 1 part of your favorite Italian dressing

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  3. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

This recipe is from the Eat-Clean Diet® website
    http://www.eatcleandiet.com/the_kitchen_table/recipe/recipe.aspx?id=799

Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breast

* 2-3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
    * 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
    * 1/2 cup light feta
    * 1/3 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
    * 1/2 tsp minced lemon zest
    * 1/4 tsp garlic powder
    * 1 tsp dried basil
    * pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place chicken breast between plastic wrap and pound to 1/4 inch thick (butterfly to help). Combine spinach, feta, sundried tomatoes, lemon zest, garlic powder, basil and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Lay chicken breast skin side down on a baking sheet. Put approx 2 tbsp of spinach mixture on widest part of chicken breast and then tightly roll the breast, leave seam side down on baking sheet. Sprinkle a small amount of remaining spinach mixture on top of rolled chicken breasts (this is more for looks).

Cook for 25-30 minutes.

My kids and I LOVE this dish.

4. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

A healthy & very simple marinated grilled chicken recipe (around these parts, it's called "Redneck Chicken"):

1 bottle fat free ranch dressing
    1 bottle fat free italian dressing
    1 chicken, cut up

Combine both dressings & marinate the chicken pieces for 24 hours, then grill. That's all there is to it!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  5. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

That sounds AMAZING!!

This thread is a great idea. I've been eating healthy since the first of the year and have already dropped 10.4 pounds. I'm always looking for things that are flavorful, but very low on white processed flour & sugar, carbs and fat. Being diabetic myself, I have to watch all that.

I'll look through my recipes and will be back.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

These all sound good and Kruss congrats!

7. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Way to go and keep it up Kruss!!

BTW, Clean Eating magazine is an off shoot of the Eat Clean program and I love it!! We've tried several recipes from various issues the last year and not a one has been a flop. Highly reccomend the magazine.

As Spinach salads go, I got one off of The Biggest Loser website over at NBC after seeing it shown during their Thanksgiving special and it is AMAZING!! It calls for the obvious main ingrediant, ;) , sliced pears, pomegranite seeds/pods and sliced red onion, w/a dressing of Apple Cider Vinagar, honey and...Something else. :eek:

I can't look for the link just this minute, as Cdns coverage is about to start up again, but will be back to add to the thread after the coverage's done. Highly reccomend this salad though. Really, really YUMMY!!

8. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I have the Clean Eating cookbook and I've yet to have a bad meal out of it. The spinach mac and cheese was :swoon:

9. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Protein Granola bars:

1 can low fat or fat free sweetened condensed milk
    2 cups plain oatmeal
    2 scoops whey protein powder (whatever flavor you want)
    1 cup total for your choice: dried fruits/nuts/candy etc.

Dump everything in a bowl and mix. Spread on a 9x13 pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in 375 degree oven for 18-22 minutes (the lesser time will make chewy ones). Let cool, cut to whatever size you want, and store in airtight container.

*I like to put the container in the fridge just to make sure it doesn't spoil. When I do that it'll last me about 4 days. I like to eat these for breakfast or as a quick snack.

BTW, I ♥ bodybuilding.com. It has some recipes here.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  10. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Baked Falafel

1 x 400g tin drained and rinsed chick peas (or you can used dried that you've cooked etc.)
    2 x cloves garlic
    1/4 teaspoon bi-carb
    1/2 cup fresh coriander
    1/2 cup fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
    Splash of olive oil (the olive oil helps hold it together)

Preheat oven to 200C and then combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Use your fingers to form the mixture into 6 patties. Transfer patties to a tray (shallow muffin trays work well) and bake for approx. 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown. I turn mine half way through.

11. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

What do I attribute my stamina at my age to? Clean living! I always drink Jack Daniels out of a clean glass ;) .

Seriously, since Bobby Burns Day and the Chinese New Year fall within a few days of each other, I think I'll combine the two and celebrate with some sweet 'n sour haggis!

12. AragornElessar

Angelskates, is bi-carb Baking Soda? Just making sure, because I'm almost positive we have all of those ingrediants in the house and the Parents will be eating out tonight, so...:) Might just give that a whirl tonight.

As promised last night...

The Biggest Loser ~ Spinach Salad with Pears and Pomegranate

13. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I would really like to have a good salad, but I am scared to death to try one. I've had real issues with lettuce (iceberg, and occasional romaine). I get horrible stomach aches afterwards....does anyone have any salad suggestions or perhaps a different type of lettuce that is easier on the digestion?

14. KikiSashaFan

Greek salads (cucumber, onions, peppers, feta cheese, olives, olive oil and whatever else you like) don't use lettuce. Does spinach cause the same issues?

FiveRinger and (deleted member) like this.
  15. FiveRinger

I've had spinach do the same thing once, but I thought it might have been a parasite since I ate it off of a salad bar and didn't prepare it myself....but I could be wrong

16. AragornElessar

Give it another shot then FiveRinger, but make sure you clean your Spinach using Vinegar first. Either spray it or put it into the sink and pour enough of it in for it to ensure that all of the leaves get a wash of it. Let it soak for a minute or two and then wash it w/cold water.

After that dry it w/either a paper or cloth towel. That'll kill any parasite you might get on the Spinach.

Hopefully, that'll let you be able to enjoy a Spinach Salad w/out any of the issues you've had w/Lettuce. :)

17. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

My fav salad:

lettuce
    fine shredded cheese
    sliced cucumber
    onions
    catalina dressing

Instead of snacking on chips, etc., snack on carrots or celery.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  18. Angelskates

19. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Thank you, Cachoo and AragornElessar!

20. AragornElessar

Thanks Angelskates. I know certain ingrediants here in Canada can be named differently in the US or UK, so I always ask when I see something I don't recoginze in an ingrediants list.

Speaking of that...Does anyone know what Castor Sugar is? In the latest Majesty magazine, there's an article about a cookbook made up of stories and recipes from the Castle of Mey. It was the Scottish retreat of the Queen Mum and is now a museum of sorts dedicated to her. This book will help raise funds to help to keep the Castle open, repairs and whatnot. Anyway...The recipe picked for this article is Lavender Meriangues and calls for this Castor Sugar, but neither I nor my Mom know what that is.

I know...Not exactly the healthiest thing to ask about, but thought someone in here would know. :)

21. Angelskates

22. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

My favorite salad these days is romaine lettuce with carrots, dried cranberries, sometimes a few chopped walnuts, a little shredded monterey-jack cheese, and chopped gala apples, with a little ranch dressing or roasted onion parmesan dressing. Yum.

23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

You might want to stay away from bagged/pre-washed greens. They say they are clean, but so often I found that they smelled musty (same with baby carrots), and later I found out that there are chemicals that processors are allowed to use to clean and preserve but don't have to report, like ammonia. Makes sense when you consider that greens you prepare at home only last so long before they wilt and brown, and yet those bags have expiry dates that are sometimes weeks away.

I suggest buying your greens as whole as possible, washing in a sinkload of water, draining and doing a second sinkload if necessary, then using a salad spinner or paper towels to dry. Then just cut or tear to size yourself.

I know the bagged/pre "washed" veggies are convenient, but the process really just takes a few minutes and in the end might be worth it if you have a sensitive stomach. I actually find preparing salad and veggies rather soothing with all the chopping and making the dressing or sauce - kind of like some people find knitting therapeutic I guess. :)

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I always go for more nutrients packed greens like spinach and then mix it with vegetables that are brightly colored like red cabbage, red bell pepper, baby carrots, etc., for their anti-oxidants benefits.

25. AragornElessar

Ah ha!! Mom and I both thought we ought to know what it was, but came up w/nothing. Thanks Angelskates!! :)

26. FiveRinger

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions....I am going to try to incorporate some of these in my diet, even though I'm a little nervous about the lettuce. I haven't eaten off a salad bar in years, nor have I bought pre-washed greens. I will try to buy whole bunches of lettuce and see if it makes a difference.

Greek salad never occurred to me, and that's an excellent idea!

I will let you all know how it turns out. Fingers crossed!!

27. KikiSashaFan

If you find organic lettuce is better for you, it's super easy to grow. All you need is a tiny bit of land or a window box and some seeds and away it goes.