Your favorite figure skating memorabilia

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by DickButtonFan, Aug 8, 2010.

1. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

My Dick Button autograph
    copy of mk's necklace
    shen and zhao's autograph
    melissa Lowell books
    my figure skating clock
    Sonja Henie photo
    skating cards and stamps
    yamaguchi autograph
    weiss autograph
    Kerrigan autograph
    yagudin, butyskaya, nnn photos

2. iDanceonice

iDanceonice New Member

My autographed Stars on Ice Canada picture is my absolute favourite. Next to that, I'd have to say my autographed photo with Michelle Kwan from Skate America 2002. She was on our flight home! That's a close one though with my autographed Victor Kraatz skates...this thread is making me remember all of my favourite skating memories! Thanks, DickButtonFan!

3. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Mine are pretty much all the autographs and photos I've ever got from skaters ;) especially my photos with Tomas Verner, both Alban and Brian together and John Kerr.

But there are also some specials:
    - an autographed photo Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas sent me by mail - my first ever skating memorabilia, which I got even before seing skating live for the first time
    - a Scottish tartan scarf I got from the Kerrs' parents in Zagreb 2008
    - a little vid of me chatting with the Kerrs that someone took in Zagreb and I then found in the net by accident :p
    - a backstage pass I unexpectadly got from Povilas during a show in Vilnius
    - may be silly but a teddy bear I was supposed to throw to the ice for Tomas, but somehow forgot and so it stayed with me, I named it Kick-ass and it's now on my bed reminding me of my love for figure skating :lol:

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I have none. :(

Don't tell my sister-in-law. In her delusional imaginary world, I have hundreds of porcelain figurines of my favorite skaters.

If anyone has ever seen such a thing, do let me know. They might be mine. :p

5. mkats

mkats New Member

My Kimmie-signed skates :) Sadly they're too broken down to actually skate around in anymore, but still cool!

6. musicgurl

musicgurl I know a place...

My Kurt Browning autograph on the back of his boarding pass that my dad, who works for Air Canada, got me last Christmas:D. Seriously the most awesome Christmas gift he could have got me:D.

7. floskate

floskate Vacant

My prized possessions are:

my figure skating video library,
    my pin collection from Nationals, Worlds and Europeans,
    and my book and magazine collection which dates back to the '40's for magazines and the 19th century for books!!

It takes up practically a whole room which my other half hates, but I luuurves it. It's my own personal miniscule version of the World Skating Museum :lol:

......Ok I'm really sad :shuffle:

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

"My Sergei" ! And other books. :)

9. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

When I was ten, I got the Michelle Kwan computer game, which came with a replica of her necklace. I wore it for ages and was so upset when it got lost. If I still had it, I'd probably wear it occasionally. :p

10. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

My extensive collection of pictures of skater's butts. Taken when I attended numerous competitions. No, I am not a pervert. Just a really bad photographer with a very bad sense of timing. :wideeyes:

11. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

I used to have a book that was just photos of mens' butts. Can't remember who the photographer was. Randy Gardner seemed very excited to be included.

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The only eligible skating event that I've been to was the 2003 Worlds in D.C. I got autographs of MK, Plushy, KVP, Mishin, Goeble and a few others on my ticket stub.

13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

My collection of skating videos, which I keep on 2 different drives so that I don't lose them.

And especially my 1981 Worlds pin from Hartford (the first big championship I ever attended live):

14. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

my "Passion Lives Here" banner from the Palavela, I had to stand on some camera guy to steal it

15. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

my photos taken with the skaters we've been fortunate enough to meet :encore:

Kurt's autograph on my A is for Axel book

having the opportunity to talk to the skaters (usually after a practice or after the competition) - priceless! :D

my skating book collection, especially Skate Talk by Steve Milton

a little red plush corvette I got as a freebee at 2003 Worlds

16. pumba

pumba New Member

I have no memorabilia, but I'm proud of sharing something with my favourite skaters:p
    I attended the show with all Russian stars right after the Torino Olympics. I was dying to give something to - Totmianina/Marinin, but my friend invited me the last moment so I could find nothing better but a plush hippo :shuffle:. After their performance I threw the toy on the ice but it fell 5cm before. I was crushed :drama:. Luckily a little girl who was picking the flowers took the toy and gave it to Tatiana. That was the biggest toy she was holding. I was in the seventh heaven :encore:
    I'm pretty sure they give all toys to orphanages, and that is also so nice of them.

17. ngcskate

ngcskate New Member

Christie Jenkins. I have the book too:lol: there are a couple other skaters in the book too.

I have so much stuff, probably enough to fill a room. I have books going back to the 1800's, programs back to the 1920's, pins, magazines, books, etc. To pick a few favourites though...

Personal letter I got from Victor Kraatz responding to a scrapbook I made him.
    Gold medal that was presented to me by Don Jackson (when our synchro team competed in Ottawa).
    Many autographs from Kurt that were sent from Caroline, most favourite is the one with the return address of simply - Kurt!
    My Denise Beillmann autograph - my dad worked with a relative of hers and she got an autograph for me during a visit.
    Photos (and memories) of visiting Brian Orsers mom in Penetang and getting the opportunity to see and hold all of his medals, including the world championship and Olympic medals.

18. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I don't collect figure skating memorabelia - however, one kind person here on FSU was giving away several items, and I was able to get, amongst other things, something that may make others laugh, but which I love - a snow globe, which revolves and plays music, of Kristi Yamaguchi doing a spin. You can't tell it's Kristi. It looks like random female skater. It even has little snowflakes dangling off it. It's very cool.

I love snow globes, but don't own any, so this was a fun addition to my house.

19. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

All my podcasts. :)

skateycat and (deleted member) like this.
  20. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I treasure your podcasts, also!

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  21. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

A pair of skates with Michelle, Dorothy & Nancy's autographs on them. Some awesome friends got me a backstage pass for a COI tour stop several years ago - I took some a pair of skates with me and they all graciously signed both skates.

22. sk8junkie

sk8junkie New Member

I like those, too! :)

My most treasured skating memorabilia is the program guide from the 1998 World Championships in Minneapolis. In it, I have autographs of Carol Heiss-Jenkins (she was completely charming), Randy Gardner (who was incredibly humble), Victor Petrenko (who was very nice and appreciative to every single one of the dozens of fans that were swarming him), and a number of others. But the best one was from Dorothy Hamill - she found an advertisement in the program guide for an alcoholic drink which has a picture of a burro on its back inside a wine glass with its hooves up in the air. She thought the picture was hilarious was laughing while she was autographing it.

I've also got a program from a professional competition with an autograph from Peggy Fleming - she was doing commentary across the aisle from where I was sitting.

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

I no longer collect figure skating memorabelia. I've given it all away except for my Kristi globe. I also have one of Peggy (or is it Dorothy?) and Michelle. I think they came from Hallmark. Mine are stored with Christmas decorations that I no longer use. Maybe I'll get them out this holiday season.

24. bookworm

bookworm New Member

-Kurt Browning's autograph - technically my mother's from a golf tournament he was at
    -My ticket from the FD at this year's Olys, plus the two of the skating pins from it
    -A list of competitors from 2009 4CC, the first event I attended

25. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Not an actual "thing," but I ended up sitting next to Katarina Witt at the 2005 Skate America in Atlantic City. My friend, a total skating celebrity stalker (kidding, kind of), was sitting on my other side and practically did somersaults in his seat, he was so excited.

I just stayed calm and to myself, and she ended up talking to me a little bit. She was really friendly and sweet.

26. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Being kissed to the cheek by Gwendal Peizerat 2000 and John Kerr 2006. :eek:

27. highrisegiraffe

highrisegiraffe Member

I have Jeffrey Buttle's skates (autographed) that he wore in Sweden to win his World Championship.

28. alhrayth

alhrayth Well-Known Member

I wanted one of those too, but never found the right moment to "retrieve" one, LOL!
    Hmmm I have so many craploads of random stuff but I think some of the importand (for me) could be...

- a Candeloro autograph I got at Euros 98 - it was my very first one, at the first international competition I ever attended... I was thrilled!
    - a good luck charm Massi & Fede gave to me (and my friends) at the first ever dinner we had as a group of friends possibly 6 years ago, I still have it in my wallet
    - all the 06 Olympic Volunteer's stuff, and in particular a little key that worked the coke/assorted drinks machines in the Village, which I got from the ITA team leader as he wasn't using it and it help me and my friend have free drinks during Olys in the village (the machines didn't take money, just the free key!). Not a big thing because the TL was not even using it, but it was very useful for us!
    - the "staff" sweatshirt from Nats 2008, because I worked organizing those and on the back there's a BIG logo, which I planned, drew and developed!
    - lots of random passes I have - like a chaperone bus pass (Euros 2002, Lausanne) which I used, even if was issued to PMM's dad (but it had no photo, andd he gave it to me when he left, LOL), a coach pass (Euros 2010, Tallinn) which in the end I did not even use but had been given to me "just in case I didn't find a ticket for the FD" by a coach of another discipline, who was leaving... plus a crapload of passes issued to my name as volunteer, staff, journalist, etc
    ....omg more I think of this theme, more things come to mind...

29. Kelleys6th

Kelleys6th Active Member

I have many autographes and books, along with pictures. My favorite pieces are:
    2008-2009 SOI Program with everyone's autograph but Sasha. :rolleyes:
    A newspaper article and picture with Sarah Hughes and my skaters group just after September 11, 2001. She had to train on Long Island at the time, and we would just be finished skating, so we'd talk while she'd be warming up and stretching. Of course we all know, she went on to winning the 2002 Olympics. :D
    My autographed copy of "My Sergei."
    And my Lenox figurine of Katia Gordeeva's "A Celebration Of Life."

:cat: