Your Favorite Dick Buttonisms

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Dec 24, 2010.

1. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Was that at 1998 US Nationals?

2. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I think it's hard to top (quote approximate): there's not enough death in that death spiral.

I also like "It don't mean a thing, if it aint' got that triple" (from 88 olympics about Joanne Conway who skated to Ellington and .... fell on her combo).

3. caro-ira

caro-ira New Member

Dick: May I pinch your cheeks?
    Irina: All the old men like to do that.

4. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

5. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

One time Peggy Fleming made a comment on someone's beautiful layback or some other thing Dick liked, and his response was, "Peggy, will you marry me?" Peggy replied that she was married already!

I always loved Dick's praising of skaters that they have left the sport different and better just because they were in it.

6. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Banned?
    Uncle Dick suffered a terrible head injury in 2000. I'll always give him a pass...

Favorite: (about Tim Goebel) He's built like six o'clock.:D

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

banned? skating changed networks in the US

8. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

All the ABC commentators except for Dick Button moved to ESPN when ESPN took over the ISU contract in 2005. He remained on ABC for the USFS stuff. Until all the skating moved to NBC/Universal sports.

9. JamieElena

JamieElena Active Member

Dick was on the ESPN broadcasts sporadically after the contract change, right off the top of my head, 2006 US Nats and 2008 Worldscome to mind immediately.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  10. pixie cut

I believe he was eventually added after a couple of years.

Nationals were part of USFS's contract. He never stopped doing the USFS stuff -- Nationals, Skate America, cheesefests.

He didn't do Worlds or any other Grand Prix events that were on the ISU contract for the first couple of years of the ISU contract with ESPN. I think he returned for 2007 and 2008 Worlds.

11. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Dick Button's contract renewal situation for ISU Events post-2005 was related to his association, perceived and/or actual, with WSF. He has had opportunities to commentate since because of his popularity with loyal fans and he is an American legend:

- Friend of Ulrich Salchow
    - 2 Olympic Gold Medals
    - 5 World Championships
    - European Champion
    - 7 National Championships
    - The first to perform 2A in competition
    - The first to perform a triple jump, the 3Lp, in competition
    - The first to perform a flying camel spin
    - Harvard BA
    - Harvard JD

There are not too many like him left :(

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  12. pixie cut

He was at the launch press conference for the WSF, but I believe the ISU's antagonism to him runs deeper. Several ISU Council members past and present have always resented Button's creation of professional skating competition. Dropping him from the broadcasts was stupid and petty and eventually they relented and he rejoined the broadcast team.

13. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

14. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

And he got a pretty good gig at the 2006 Olympics on NBC. :encore:

15. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

And he won an Emmy in 1981 for Best Sports Personality :)
    He is a spokesperson for Traumatic Brain Injury
    He created the very popular (and silly) Supersports program where players from different sports competed in stuff like weight lifting, bowling, & swimming.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

No, it was way back in the mid 90's when Kyoko Ina skated to it as a singles skater at nationals!

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  17. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying that. I remember when Kyoko did both disciplines, too! :D

18. pixie cut

It's called Superstars.

I believe he also created Battle of the Network Stars.

19. DreamSkates

DreamSkates New Member

When he calls skating "delicious" - well not my favorite of his comments, but maybe a favorite from his list of odd comments.

20. yankgrl46

yankgrl46 New Member

When Irina skated her Tosca at the 2001-2001 GPF Dick made a comment on her spirals to the regard, "That's just ugly...someone should tell her to go stretch." Pegyy also giggled at how poor her spirals wore at the same competition.

21. satchelpooch318

satchelpooch318 New Member

Speaking of the 2006 Olympics, we can never forget Uncle Dick's "gay quintuple whammy" commentary of Chait and Sakhnovski's Olympic Free Dance! (I just fast-forward to the end of the dance @ 4:06, since it's the only part of the video that actually interests me... :shuffle:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Ij7g-Qy8c

22. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

That's totally the one I sat and replayed and transcribed back in 2006.

". . . And sort of like watching an Alfred Hitchcock movie, where you knew the bomb was under the chair, you were just waiting for it to go off. It didn't happen here. If you're going to be . . . try to copy an icon, you better be very careful about it. Once you've seen Maria Callas in Tosca, or heard Judy Garland sing 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow', you better be careful about trying to copy it. If you're going to sing the National Anthem, you better be Whitney Houston, and not Roseanne Barr."

And this weird one I wonder about from time to time:

Johnny Weir, 2003 Nationals LP, after the first fall, before the second fall that ended the program -- Dick was going on about how if you're really hurt, you should get off the ice, but if you're not, you shouldn't stop the program just to straighten yourself out. He said something to the effect of, when Terry Gannon asked if it had ever happened to him, "Yeah, I fell on my face. I landed into the barriers, I pulled myself up, I couldn't see the person standing two feet . . . I got so angry I couldn't see straight. But I finished, and I kept falling. And then I walked onto 52nd Street outside Madison Square Garden . . . ah, I'm sorry."

23. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Mr. Button will be on "Access Hollywood Live" (FOX network) in the within the next 1/2 hour.
    He made a supposed to be funny or cute "piggy face" on the camera during the announcement that he is the only male back to back Olympic champ and that he is from Skating with the Stars. I don't know if this is a rerun airing or even what it's all about, so I didn't put it in TV announcements.
    ETA: It was a rebroadcast of when he was on SWTS. They showed clips of the show.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  24. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I think Peggy was acutally the one who said "I'd like to see a little more swan to that Swanlake"

25. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

During Alexander Abt's footwork, at the end of a rough skate: "I'm not sure he knows what dance hall he is in."

About xxxx (fill in the name of any very young and slender female): "She's the quintessential Balanchine dancer!"

About Pluschenko's Nijinsky LP: "Nijinsky must be rolling over in his grave. Not much Faun here."

During Debi Thomas' jazzy SP in the 1988 Olympics: "She has a street-smart sensibility"...which I found hilarious, because it was so racist (but not in an evil manner)

Then there's his famous singing "Thank Heaven for Little Girls!"

2004 Nationals, during Danielle Kahle's SP: "She's a Cutey Bumps if there ever was one!"

"The Anna Karenina of the ice, going down the grand staircase..." - Volchkova

"The Grace Kelly of the ice." - Roz Sumners

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  26. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

27. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

28. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Another weird one, at 2005 Nats after the SP, Johnny got a 6.0 and Dick remarked how strange it was to get one with a fall.....except Johnny didn't fall in that program.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

30. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

When Elena Sokolova finished "The Masquerade Waltz", and Uncle Dick said "She's an awfully cute gal, a 'cupcake', but this program doesn't work for her", giving Elena the nickname that stuck like, well.....cake frosting ;)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011