Your Favorite Concert

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Sep 10, 2012.

1. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Gosh I have seen so many!!!!
    George micheal came here four years ago and it was fantastic , it was easily into the tour and he sound phenomenal

I s dire straights onthe brothers in arms tour, which was grand

One of my all tme fave concerts was not the best from the band but it was on my dream list to see a show at wembly in London. And I managed to score free tickets to U2 after I did some volunteering for like half an hour before the show, it was totally unexpected and fabulous to be in that space!!!

I would love to see Bruce Springsteen , he is such a entertainer I can only imagine how great the show would be
    I saw Madonna a fewe years ago and will be heading to see her with overage and jp1andonly in a few weeks!!!! Can't wait I need a. Good dancing night out :)

2. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

My tops are INXS in 86 or 87 in Milwaukee. I was like the only black girl in the crowd at the age of 16 but seeing Michael Hutchence up close... priceless. He was truly a beautiful man.

George Michael in 1988, Faith Tour in Alpine Valley WI.

RHCP(Red Hot Chili Peppers), Blood Sugar Sex Magik tour 92. Greatest live band ever. The most fun I had a concert, EVER!

3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Simon Rattle conducting the Berlin Philharmonic playing Brahms' 3rd Symphony :shuffle:

I haven't been to many rock concerts, so the Spice Girls reunion tour tops my list. I've loved them all my life. It was like my 7-year-old-self's dream come true.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, & James Taylor. We've seen Bruce 3 times, Billy , at least 10, and JT, at least 15. Re: JT - that includes the concert tour he did with Carole King 2 years ago.

5. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I have several, but the 3 that stand out the most are:

1) Radiohead in May of 2008 in St. Louis
    2) M.I.A. on Cinco de Mayo 2008 in Nashville
    3) Arctic Monkeys in 2010 in Athens, GA

I have to give a special mention to Girl Talk. While his shows aren't concerts in the conventional way because it's all digital from his computer, I've now been to 10 shows of his and they've all been radically different and extremely fun.

6. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

7. halffull

halffull halffull kind of day

David Bowie or The Police Picnics (went to several of those) :)

8. paulac

paulac Active Member

Prince, Club 3121 @ The Rio, Las Vegas January 2007
    Unbelievable band

9. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

One of my favorites was a Neil Diamond concert that I attended 40 years ago. Another was Yizhak Perlman at the Hollywood Bowl ... about 25 years ago.

10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

It would be really hard to narrow it down. But I saw Radiohead at an outdoor venue in 2003, and I'll always remember that because (a) they were absolutely fantastic and (b) the show started in early evening, and the combination of their stage lighting, the music drifting over the tops of the tall trees, and the sun going down was simply magical.

I went with a friend who has some mobility problems, so he couldn't stand in the general seating area on the stadium field. And by the time we got there the only seats left were in the stadium bleachers, about 2/3 of the way up and near the very far right hand side of the stage. So this is one of my more memorable shows ever, even though I could only see about 1/3 of the stage :lol:

Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  11. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Back in my University days I would often see the late great Stan Rogers in concert at various bars and coffeehouses around town. Loved him, and he was gone much too soon.

I saw the Barenaked Ladies back before they hit it big (and again twenty or so years later)- lots of fun. I think I preferred the earlier one, when they were a little less "polished".

Great Big Sea gives a great energetic concert.

A few years ago I saw Sting during his "Symphonicity" tour. A lot of fun, and some fresh new takes on his hits with the orchestral accompaniment.

Among those who haven't really made it big yet, Heather Dale has some lovely songs and has performed in some lovely concerts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWj5g4V4QKg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfOeANDsXbA

A favourite singer of mine died last week- I used to look forward to his performances every year. RIP Owain Pfyfe

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  12. duane

duane New Member

I've never been to a concert! If I could go back in time, I would have loved to have seen Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall or an early Motown Revue. I've heard concerts by Queen and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were/are amazing.

No way could I ever attend a rap concert, or those by artists who (due to lack of true talent) rely too heavily on dancers, light shows, pyrotechnics, etc.

13. Aimless

Aimless New Member

Dweezil Zappa playing his father's music. He rehearsed for over a year to be able to pull off those intricate rhythms. He had a terrific ensemble--such hard music to play. The ultimate tribute band. I had no understanding of Zappa when I was a kid, but now I appreciate him a lot. Saw them at Westbury Music Fair on Long Island, on a slowly rotating stage, packed with musicians and instruments. A memorable intellectual and artistic experience.
    And Crosby Stills Nash and Young about 6 years ago, outdoors at the Jones Beach Theatre, on a evening of the most gorgeous weather, the sweetest air, and all those songs that have been part of my entire conscious life.

14. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Ella Fitzgerald!

The tickets were sold out in minutes but my brother kept calling back and they eventually added seats on stage with her!

Other highlights are

Spirit of the West
    Sting
    The Barenaked Ladies (small pub or large theatre or arena - they were always great!)
    Great Big Sea

15. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

This isn't easy because I went to several in my younger years (20's and 30's). Out of all of them, I would say that Journey with Steve Perry stands out the most. :)

ETA that Heart, John Cougar Mellencamp, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, REO Speed Wagon and AC/DC were pretty cool, too. :)

16. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

:cheer:

I ended up skipping Coldplay this June because the ticket prices were just too high. There are definitely advantages to Keane etc. not being as big!

Hard to pick, but one of my top would probably be Muse + U2 (first 360 tour) at Giants Stadium due to the combo of perfect weather and vantage point.

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of Bruce Springsteen admirers - I have seen him over a dozen times over the years and each and everytime he has upped the bar - which takes some doing. I think he is even better now than he was over 35 years ago - he leaves all of himself out there on the stage - total blood, sweat and tears :swoon:

18. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Am sure it doesn't hurt that both bands are very good live & play with tons of conviction. That was a :kickass: tour.

I'm a huge Nicole Atkins fan, but only got to see her live this weekend as the opening act for the Jayhawks at the Williamsburg concert series. She lived up to how great she sounds in all the live recordings I heard -and then some!

And since I am a dork, here are some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHCEOi8pvpw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A23EMbtq094

19. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I saw the Chili Peppers in 1986 at a very small concert in Massachusetts. They wore socks, and that's about it. They're an amazing live band.

20. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I have seen so many shows, it's hard to pick out one (or even 10), but I always loved seeing Ani DiFranco play - whether performing solo or with her longtime drummer, Andy Stochansky, she would both play ferociously and ad-lib the whole time, stopping in the middle of a song to say whatever was on her mind and then jump right back in where she stopped. I saw one show of hers at Bumbershoot where she and Andy traded instruments and she ended up knocking over the drum kit. She was laughing so hard she was crying, but in the end they came together at one mic and finished the show a capella.

Bands/performers who put on an incredible show:
    Fugazi
    the Meat Puppets
    Jonathan Richman
    Harm Farm
    The Butchies

and last year (or the year before?) I saw a Kaki King show that was just transcendent :swoon:

Honestly, it would be easier for me to list shows I've seen that weren't very good.

21. jotay

jotay New Member

As a preteen my sister and I saw The Beatles in Cincinnati!

22. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

When I was a Freshman in college, the RHCP performed at the Tate Student Center at UGA in the Fall of 1985. Tickets were a bank-breaking three dollars :rofl:, and they wore the same er, costumes as they did when you saw them --- everyone was :eek: :wideeyes: (hell, I'm surprised the University let them perform on campus "dressed" like that).

It was an outstanding show.

23. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Elton John, Thanksgiving 1974 (Caribou tour), when I was about a week shy of 14 yrs old. It was my very first rock concert, he was *amazing* (opened with Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding) AND John Lennon came out as a surprise guest and they did Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and When I Saw Her Standing There (and also, Whatever Gets you Through the Night, but the other two were magic). I saw a lot of great shows over the years after that, but that was unmatchable. When I realized it was John Lennon, I (and however many thousand were there) just started screaming. It was absolutely incredible.

Obviously we didn't know at the time it would be, but years later read it was his last live performance. He was the only Beatle I've ever seen live.

24. D&Sfan4ever

D&Sfan4ever Living in a Snark

Avantasia (2010) - They came with all the best singers of the 5 albums this superband has to date, and it was perfect, like a live CD.

Unisonic (2012) The best singer and guitarrist Helloween has ever had, together again, presenting their new band and CD + some old Helloween classics to remember old times = Heaven.

Megadeth (13 and 14/9/2012) the first night they played some songs of "Peace Sells..." +, as a gift for the fans, "Countdown To Extintion" in its entirety. The second night they played "Countdown To Extintion" in its entirety. Both nights with an amaysing sound and you could clearly see they where having a blast while performing.

25. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This is going to be a little obvious coming from me but Kelly Clarkson. Her vocals are absolutely in a league of their own and it is most obvious in concert. Just incredible to hear someone sing truly live and sound like that.

The other concerts I really liked were Joss Stone and Jonny Lang.

26. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Lucky!

27. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I'll add a sub-category: Best show that I'm sure I didn't appreciate fully.

A friend dragged me to see Pearl Jam a couple of years ago. I didn't know much of their music (I sort of missed the grunge/alt days in music), but it became clear to me that PJ fans would consider this one of the most amazing shows. My friend did, and she's been to 1001 shows of various performers, it seems.

When I say I didn't appreciate it fully, I mean it's because I didn't know their music, and I'm sure I couldn't appreciate it like one of their fans. But it was an amazing show, that's for sure, and woke me up to checking out some of their stuff.

And yes, PrincessLeppard, 30 Seconds to Mars was a great show. :) Same with Papa Roach - I'd never buy their music, but they give it their all.

Crash Kings - also among some of my favorites with their live performances.

I've really loved a few of the David Cook shows I went to, of course.

But I'll never ever get over the fact that I didn't see Journey or Steve Perry back in the day.

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Add to my list;
    The Jacksons stadium tour back in the 80s. Amazing.

Cat Stevens

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  29. pair mom

pair mom New Member

I saw them at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto...2 shows!!!! :) Didn't have any voice left the next day to start Jr.High...but most of the teachers figured out why! ;)

30. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

You are so lucky, I would have loved to have seen them! Bitchin' Camaro.

I was a big fan of Spot 1019 back in those days. I saw them play at UC Santa Cruz and a couple of shows in San Francisco in the late '80s & early '90s. They did a reunion show in San Francisco this June and I went to that too. Fun times.

My all time favorite rock concert? Wow, that's tough. But I measure the cost of all tickets against the $36 I paid in 1986 to see U2, The Neville Brothers, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Jackson Browne, Lou Reed, Joan Baez and Bryan Adams for the Amnesty International Conspiracy of Hope tour.

The only show I remember feeling underwhelmed by was a Los Lobos show that was plagued by sound troubles and a general lack of enthusiasm from the band.

I had very low expectations going in for the Los Lonely Boys show I had tickets for a couple of years ago, and they were a treat! Fun music, very talented, very enjoyable. Nice guys.