Your Favorite Concert

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Just curious re singers/musicians/bands: What/when/ who is the best concert you've seen? And why?

2. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Barenaked Ladies. Because they are good showmen and I love Steve (the chubby one.)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

The Deadmilk Men. A special place in my heart for a special time of being a teen.

4. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

All of the Bruce Springsteen & the E Street band concerts I went to. Bruce and the Big Man were such showmen - the energy level was incredible. And the concerts lasted for hours. I don't think I could bear to go to one now - I'd miss the Bruce/Clarence bromance. :(

5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I second that emotion. I am going to Bruce again this Friday night!!! Second time this year. Woohoo. It is very emotional without Clarence -- he pays appropriate tribute and it brings a tear to the eye.

Also love U2, Rolling Stones. Loved Talking Heads in concert back in the day.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Bruce just gets better and better IMO - I've seen him live perhaps a dozen times in the last thirty years, most recently last month. The energy is incredible, and yes Clarence is missed, but his nephew is now the featured sax player, plus on this tour there's a whole horn section, back up singers plus the violinist who has been on tour several years. Nils and Steven were in rare form, but Patti wasn't there (she skips some dates) - bottom line is it's Bruce's show, and he carries it.

Other recent memorable concerts - Bootsy Collins, still funking it up 50 years later, coming through the crowd to party with his fans; Rush, also better than ever with incredible live shows and music that continues to rock - HARD; Melissa Auf der Maur at a small club - the coolest chick in rock; Prince always a showman and always real; Jann Arden, songstress and comedian extraordinaire.

7. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I couldn't name a favorite, have loved so many, but thanks for the Bruce review of this show Jenny, Im seeing him again next month in Ottawa and was wondering about the show without Clarence.

Seeing Madonna Thursday. Also wondering how she's going to do now that she's, uhm, closer to my age now.

8. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I've only ever been to two real "rock concerts" in my life; both times - Paul McCartney!!!!

9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Simon-Garfunkel reunion concert here - around 2005 or 2006. It was awesome.

10. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Keane and Elbow who played small venues in Boston and both stayed on stage for almost 2 hours :respec:. I whine a lot about Brit bands I like not being big in the US, but when I get to seem them up-close, it makes it all worth it :D.

11. emason

emason Well-Known Member

1969 Newport Folk Festival - the Everly Brothers (Wake Up Little Susie, etc.) with their father, Ike. Nonstop great songs and high, high energy; I've never forgotten it. This was the weekend Armstrong walked on the moon and Ted Kennedy had that infamous car accident, but it's the Everly Brothers I remember, and this is from someone who went to Woodstock later the same summer.

12. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I saw them in 2004. Tied on my list with U2 last year. :D

13. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Motley Crue! :respec:

14. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I have been ill (well now) and was given Bruce/EStreet and Bruce/Seeger Sessions DVD's to watch and then watched a 1978 concert in Maryland on Youtube: Amazing--wish I was at every single one. That said my favorite concert was Bruce/EStreet in Kansas City in 1984. We had great seats and at one point looked all over the arena (including behind the stage) and everyone was up and moving.

15. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Nov. 6th, 1975 UCSB, Bruce and the E Street Band. Only song I knew was Born to Run, but that concert changed my life. He showed me what rock and roll could be and wrecked every concert I've seen since then because he set the bar so freaking high! If you've ever seen the video of the 1975 concerts in London, you have a good idea as to what I saw. Amazing.

16. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Add me to the list of Bruce Springsteen concert fans. I can't imagine anyone performing more solidly, and being more worth the ticket price, no matter what it is. I've been to lots of other good, even great concerts; but no one holds a candle to the Boss.

17. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Bruce Bruce Bruce.

Green Day were pretty awesome too.

18. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Probably Josh Groban for my 17th birthday-his voice is so much better live than on recording (which is already incredible) and he's developed a great stage presence. Also, for one song he came into the audience and I totally close to him and :swoon:

Barenaked Ladies were great, too! And I'll always remember my first concert, Blue Man Group...when I got banana in my hair. That was special, hah!

19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Oh, lucky you. I've been watching utube clips of her MDNA tour from all over the world. She has amazing energy for any age. The NY crowd got a special treat last Saturday: She sang Holiday, which is not on the tour set list, for the crowd for standing in the rain during the concert.

A Madonna's concert is definitely on my bucket list. I think she has at least 2-3 more tours left in her before she gets to 60.

20. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Rush! The music, the so-professional musicianship! Also saw Emerson, Lake & Palmer twice, great instrumentation by Carl & Keef. Saw 'The Guess Who' (they couldn't call themselves that, as the bass player had the rights to the name, so they called themselves the 'Cummings & Bachman Band'), where you got treated to two genres of great hits, The Guess Who & Bachman-Turner Overdrive. With three bros, one sister-in-law and one nephew, went to see Zappa Plays Zappa!( Pappa would have been proud). Also saw a tail end of Ringo & His All Starr tour (Starr had to bow out when his daughter became ill, so Mark Farner, Billy Preston, Randy Bachman & Felix from The Rascals carried on for several cities in his abcense). Met Billy & Randy backstage, where I told Billy a politically incorrect joke:"Why doesn't Ray Charles ever sky-dive?" "? Don't know". "Scares the hell out of his dog!", and he has this most guilty smirk in response.

21. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Too hard to just list one, but here are some of the best, in no particular order:
    Bruce
    Elton
    The Clash (Paul Simonon :swoon:)
    Sting
    Talking Heads
    McCartney
    Eric Clapton (with George Harrison for a song)
    James Taylor
    Rolling Stones (at LA Coliseum, in the furthest seat possible from the stage and still awesome)

22. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

The Black Crowes, because all they did was perform-No stage show needed.

Faith No More at the Button South, who also didn't need a stage show.

Geno DelaFose and Steve Riley are always good.

Would love to see Gordon Gano, Linda Perry, and the Rave ups live.

23. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Muse by far. I went to my first Muse concert as a casual fan knowing only 5 songs. By the end of the concert I was hooked. The band played with so much energy and conviction. It was so good that I had a dream about the concert the same night when I went home. No other band has ever made me go out and buy all their CDs after the concert.

I also always go see the Pet Shop Boys whenever they come to town. I always have fun at their shows even though I stopped buying their CDs since the early 90's.

24. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Too many to name just one:

- Depeche Mode - Violator Tour 1991 (? - may have been 1992?)
    - The Cure - Disintegration Tour 1989
    - Metallica - Black Album Tour 1992
    - The B-52s, Tom-Tom Club, and The Ramones - 1990
    - INXS - The Swing Tour 1984 (at a nightclub club in Houston, Texas - I gave Michael Hutchence a carnation which I got back and still have to this day :lol: )
    - Alice in Chains, Primus, Rage Against the Machine, Front 242 at Lollapalooza 1993
    - Rush - Signals Tour 1983
    - Van Halen - Diver Down Tour 1982
    - Project Pitchfork - Dream, Tiresias Tour 2009

25. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Hey Rob-I love Bruce too. I am actually one whole day older than him.

I loved Heart, Sting, and the Beatles. I couldn't hear a thing the Beatles sang from all the screaming, but it was a fun experience.

In other ways, I think the Atlanta Symphony/Robert Shaw concert of Berlioz' "Requiem" was memorable. It's a beautiful piece of music, but this concert really was unique. Symphony Hall in Atlanta's Woodruff Arts Center is narrow, with an orchestra, loge and balcony seating areas. Two platform areas jut out on either far side of the loge or middle seating area. When it was time for "Dies Irea" (spelling?) a group of brass muscians had quietly taken their places on these side loge areas. At the appropriate moment, the brass ripped forth with God's anger in sheer sassy brass, and nobody in the orchestra seating below was ready for that! People screamed....ran, etc. It was FABULOUS!

I also saw Pink Floyd there and a gorgeous production of Leonard Bernstein's "Mass" which made me cry my eyes out.

The most recent "concert" I enjoyed was a dvd of "Mater's Tall Tales." The "Cars" character Mater was at one time a Heavy Metal star with the best selling song "Dad Gum Dad Gum Dad Gum." It's hysterical and can only be truly appreciated when in the company of a 4 year old.

skateycat and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Dies Irae ;)

27. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention one show that really stood out. 1983 Lionel Ritchie, just before his "Cant slow down" lp came out. Just a real pro, killed it on a number of Commodores songs (Sail On was fantastic) and ended with a fantastic version of "All Night Long". Sort of sad that his no talent daughter has a better career now that he does.

28. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

30 seconds to Mars, Des Moines 2007. Jared sang "Capricorn" a Capella :swoon:

Def Leppard, 1987, the Houston Summit. In the round,a nd it was the last time I saw Steve Clark perform before he died.

My Chemical Romance 2010 Denver. They always put on a great show, but I was jumping around so much ( at altitude!) that I nearly passed out. :)

29. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Best experience -- Grand Ole Opry, went in July of 2009 (2010?) and it was such a fantastic venue and concert!

Best concert -- Carrie Underwood (opener- Josh Turner).. I would have paid as much as I did to see Josh alone, and double for Carrie! :swoon:

Dierks Bentley and Kelly Clarkson (separate concerts) did some pretty :kickass: county fair concerts that I went too, as well.

The Fray was terrible live.. :shuffle: But it was fun, my friends and I got tickets and between then and the concert was when they started to hit it big, so we got to see them for very cheap.

30. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Mr. Habs and I just got home from Glass Tiger and Roxette. :shuffle:
    Not the best concert ever, but a ton of fun! Loved getting our 80s on!