Your best cold-fighting remedies, stat!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Anita18, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm getting married in about a week, and I woke up yesterday with a sore throat. :wall:

So far, zinc lozenges and daily neti pot use have kept the worst at bay, but my throat still hurts. My sinuses have been pretty meh for the past two days, but I think more neti pot can take care of that...Normally colds run VERY fast through me. If I feel a sore throat one day, the next day I'm knocked flat. So feeling pretty normal on day 2 is a good sign, but I'd like to nip this in the bud completely, ASAP! I also plan to be sleeping more, because this week I've had projects due and my sleep schedule has definitely suffered. :eek: I will skip class all next week if that's what it takes!

My mom suggested salt water gargle, and I suppose that can't hurt. I tried it this morning and I'm not sure if it helped much. Maybe the water has to be hotter?

Any tips?

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Salt water gargle every few hours is a good idea. Chinese medicine likes to get you to sweat it out--drink hot soup and get under the blanket, sweat! Put on socks and keep your feet warm. Drink plenty of fluids as you are doing it.

Basic Traditional Chinese medicine recommends making a soup of fresh ginger and green onion--super gross but you sound desperate.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Warm salt water is good, but it needs to be done hourly. Chai tea is nice for a sore throat, though its best to avoid adding any dairy. Chicken soup is also never a bad idea.

Hope you feel better!

4. Anita18

Geez, and my mom said just gargling before bed worked. :lol:

Sounds like I'll have to bring some salt to work tomorrow then! :) If I still feel this okay....

I got accustomed to fresh ginger soup when I was recovering from stomach flu. Best anti-nausea remedy EVER. I'm sure green onion couldn't make it any worse. :lol:

Sweating shouldn't be a problem since it hit 80F yesterday. :lol: I was sweatin' last night, that's for sure!

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Bring the soup to work too. Stay out of draughts and air conditioning, if possible.

6. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Chicken soup ... and lots of it. Hope that you get better soon.

7. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Hot ginger.

Mix up some ground ginger in some boiling water with lemon and honey.

8. KCC

KCC Active Member

Lots of fluids. Lots of rest. Vitamin C (seems to help me). Eat healthy. Try to minimize your stress levels -- tough to do right before the wedding, but deep breaths/gentle stretches/meditation would help, too.

9. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I agree with the ideas: fluids, rest, warm salt water gargles for throat, and neti pots. BTW, ginger helps a lot with morning sickness too... thinking ahead here, I know, lol. Hopefully you recover asap!

10. madm

madm Active Member

Best remedy is sleep. Lots of it. Recharges your immune system.

11. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Ditto. I have staved off many a cold by hitting the sack a few hours early.

12. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Skate America! Go!

Sleep. Salt water, but you have to make is saturated salt water, lots of salt, shoUld taste horrible! I usually do 2-3 times at most.
    Capacol (sp?) works well for me.

To me too hot things (like soup and tea) sometimes akes a sor throat worse. I like ice water or ice cream. I have heard it makes the cell in your throat contract, where as hit liquids makes them expand. Alcohol is the same, rum toddys are not a good thing ;)

Sleep and be well soon

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Zinc and Vitamin C. And I totally agree with madm, SLEEP (as much as you're able). And congratulations, btw!

O-

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Could say that alcohol kills anything. Have a great hens night.

Otherwise lots of rest.

15. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Zycam and Cold-eeze lozenges non-stop. Vitamin C. Lots of fluids - ice pops can numb the throat.

16. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

Elderberry/Sambucol changed my life. I used to do Zinc/Zicam, but this seriously works so much better!! Aside from the time I had a bacterial infection (strep throat) the Sambucol worked every single time! Good luck! Being sick leading up to your wedding is not fun. If it doesn't get better in a few days stop by the doctor to make sure it's not strep.

17. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Cold-eeze knocks it out in 24 hours for me. Leaves an aftertaste for a few hours, but it really works. Drink plenty of water, because it can also be constipating.

Surely stress is a factor in your busy life. Relax as much as you can and focus on enjoying your wedding day.

18. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Especially given the time of year, consider whether it's allergies. Stay inside, away from pollen.

19. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Oh, and my mom swears by Coptis Purge Fire. She has always had a weak throat, meaning she'll get a sore throat followed by a cold of varying degrees fairly often. Otherwise, she is one of the healthiest people I know! It's important to take Coptis Purge Fire as soon as you feel the symptoms coming on. My mom said it works for her every single time. I don't have her sore throat weakness, but I do keep Coptis Purge Fire around just in case.

O-

20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I go for Cold FX and/or Zicam throat spray.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  21. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

A really good steam room works for me, it seems to get out all the toxins.

22. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I really like Airborn tablets. It has most of what everyone has mentioned; ginger, zinc, echinacea, vitamin C and more. I also like Alka-Seltzer cold plus tablets. Agree tea with lemon, honey and maybe a little whiskey; lay down with a heating blanket and sleep and sweat it out. Good luck Anita!

23. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I like airborne as well. That and ibuprofen are my medicines of choice for a cold. Medicines can be way too strong for me (affects of the medicine is worse than the disease) and Airborne has chewables that I can take a lesser dosage. I used to take coldeze, but I am one of those who loses their sense of taste when I take it. It started off being just a few days but last time it was several days after I had stopped taking it. You will want to watch out for that if you decide on the coldeze.

Best of luck at the wedding.

24. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^A.H. I totally agree. That zinc taste makes me gag, I'd rather be sick! Zicam used to have a nose spray and nasal swabs but the government made them take them off the market and I can't remember why. That is/was the only way I can tolerate zinc. At least in the Airborne the fizzy orange tastes good!

25. acraven

acraven Active Member

I swear by zinc lozenges, but I agree that they can really affect your sense of taste. I adhere rigidly to the daily dosage maximum (which I think is four lozenges) and normally cut down to three by the 3rd and 4th day. I try to stop using the lozenges at the end of the 4th day, because I once suffered through several days of tasteless food after continuing to use the zinc longer than I really needed to. It's bad enough that food tastes funny (so does toothpaste!) for an hour or so after I use even one lozenge. But for me they pretty much keep the sniffles and sore throat at bay.

26. Anita18

My sore throat is pretty much gone as of this morning. :) I still took a zinc lozenge after lunch for good measure. :p Thank goodness it's been really warm here, so I'm sweating it out! :lol:

Yeah loss of taste is what I've heard about the zinc as well, but the most I've taken so far is 3 a day and I can still taste stuff....I'll still keep up the daily neti pot for the next week just to make sure it's gone. :)

Now for the daily wedding weekend weather watch. :cheer: Earlier this week I checked and it said 65F and rainy. :( Then a few days ago it was 72F and sunny. :) Now it's climbed to 84F and "unusually hot" and I'm like, "Um, you can stop now..." :rofl:

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Wasn't there a lawsuit involving Zicam? Glad you are feeling better, Anita18!

Sweating out a cold has worked for a few thousand years. That's why I said avoid air-conditioning because you will stop sweating or as Chinese medicine puts it, your surface will close. Drink plenty of warm or room temp liquids, OK? No iced drinks until you totally out of the woods.

28. halffull

halffull halffull kind of day

Me too, works wonders but you have to start before the cold is full blown. Lots of sleep too.

29. Anita18

I did have some iced tea at lunch but the ice quickly melted in the heat. :shuffle:

30. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Yes, there were lawsuits, but they concerned mostly the sense of smell with taste as a secondary problem. http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/zicam.asp The lawsuits were settled and Zicam stands by their product.