Youngest and oldest skaters to land triples.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by essence_of_soy, Sep 3, 2012.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

The two skaters off the top of my head that have landed triple jumps either in competition or exhibition are Kevin Reynolds (as a ten year old at a Canadian national juvenile championship) and Brian Boitano aged 48 last year at the 2011 Caesar's Tribute.

Are there any others that have landed triples older or younger (in competition or exhibition)

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Nathan Chen was definitely landing triples at age 10, when he won the 2010 US novice title. I think he had a 2A the year before.

3. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Nathan Chen was also 10 when he won his first Novice nationals, performing many triples.

4. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Midori Ito? She might have been younger than 10 when she learned to jump triple jumps...

For the ladies, Biellman was almost in her 40s and still landing triples...didn't she?

5. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Mira Leung was eight when she landed her first triple.

6. sk8indel

sk8indel Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  7. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think you're right about Brian being the oldest.. I'm racking my brains but I can't think of anyone older than him doing it.. he is slightly older than Kurt, and I'm pretty sure Hamilton was a bit younger than 48 when he retired.

8. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Wasn't Donald Jackson doing triple salchows into his early 60s? Not sure if he ever did it in a show at that time, or just on practice ice.

9. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Hell, I think Jozef Sabovcik was still trying a quad every year on his birthday and he's 48 now...certainly still doing triples in shows.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. JanetB

JanetB Well-Known Member

When I spoke to him 2 years ago at Skate Canada he was still doing double salchows and he would have been almost 70.

11. honey

honey Active Member

I have a tape with skating on it from the mid nineties and there is a Centrum vitamins commercial with Donald Jackson landing a triple in it (likely 1993-1994ish)...I believe he would have been in his 60s.

12. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

That would be great if you could find it.

According to Wikipedia, Don was born in 1940, so in 1993/4, he would have been 54 (which would have made him the oldest person to land a triple).

13. honey

honey Active Member

Somehow, I was able to find the commercial! I have literally dozens of tapes from that time but found it on the second tape I looked at.

Seems my memory was a bit off :lol:. The commercial was during the 1995 skate Canada and shows Don in a clip from 1990 at the age of 50 landing a triple sal. Still impressive though!

14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

IIRC Midori Ito was 8 when she landed triples (not sure which ones).

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. blue_idealist

Jozef is still skating in shows? Which ones? I think I remember him being on a Disson show a couple of years ago..

16. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

On Youtube I'm seeing "reflections on ice 2012" and "music on ice 2012" as shows Jozef has done this year, and he's frequently in the Sun Valley summer shows...

17. tkrm7778

tkrm7778 Member

There are several Russian girls, who landed triples at age 9.

This year in April Anastasia Gubanova (b. Dec 2002) landed clean 3F+2T, 3T+2T, 3F, 3T in competition Crystal Skate. Here's this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1wEvh3X61c . She's probably the youngest female skater ever to have landed a clean triple flip in competition (but I don't know for sure).

Also Valeria Evseeva (b. March 2002, her coach is same as Elena Radionova: Inna Goncharenko) landed a clean 3Lo at age 9 in competition in January this year. Here's this moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Pq4IyzmN5d4#t=131s

Last year in February Viktoria Bezrukova (b. June 2001, so 9 years old at that moment) landed clean 3T and 3S in competition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt4uZKlAwsw Her coach is also Inna Goncharenko.

Maria Sotskova landed clean 3S+2T in competition in March 2010, one month before turning 10 years old (she is b. in April 2000 and she's old enough for next year's JGP) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8xxfVEpq8

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Glacier cat

Glacier cat Member

Probably Plushy was one of the youngest skaters doing triples. He won a national major competition "Crysal Skate" at age 7, against boys three or four years-older than him.
    And I have seen his old video that he was doing triple toe in 1992. He was 9 or 10. Unfortunately I don't know where I can watch Russian children's competition in '80s. Anyone know?

19. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

He did a triple salchow in Vancouver on his 65th birthday. A friend got it on video. He is skating now in the Toronto area and landing doubles at 72 years old.

20. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

21. lulu

lulu New Member

That it is amazing. :kickass:

22. Nagano Forever

Nagano Forever New Member

I'm very much in awe of Brian Boitano's athletic ability at his age. He is a fabulous athlete!

23. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ Brian is still amazing! Can't wait to see him skate again this weekend @ Mike's show!

24. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Midori landed first triple at age of 8

25. used2skate

used2skate New Member

Isn't it interesting to see who is still there after several years. Agnes Z, Kiri Baga, Vanessa Lam, Gretchen Donlan (she won the final).

26. bartek

bartek New Member

Is Fumie Suguri still landing triples? She might be the oldest woman. I think Irina Slutskaya still lands her triple loop even though she doesn't compete like Fumie and they are about the same age.

27. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

The final of what? Junior Olympics/JI/baby Nationals/whatever it's called now? Did she actually land a triple though? Good for those ladies to still be around and not to burn out.

28. blue_idealist

What about Midori Ito? Did she land any triples in those Adult worlds?

There's also Anastasia Gimazetdinova.. Caryn Kadavy (I never noticed if her jumps in shows are triples or doubles).. can't think of any others right now. If Kadavy does do triples still, she must be the oldest one.

29. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Through a quick search on youtube I could find Denise Biellmann landing a triple as recently as 2002, when she would have been about 39. Not sure if she's done it since then.

30. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Gizmo only looked like she was 44 landing triple jumps in 2010, she was actually only 29 or 30. :cheer: