You have to see them skating live

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by The Accordion, Nov 2, 2010.

1. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I noticed in a few threads people mentioning that they understood better why Patrick Chan's marks are as high as they are after seeing him skate in person.

I have also noticed a discrepancy of opinion on his skating, marks and placement between people who have been at the competitions compared to those who have watched on TV or online.

In your opinion - what other skaters fall in this category? Seeing them live makes a big difference?

(PS - I am just using Patrick as one example - so please don't make this a bash thread)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. miki88

miki88 New Member

I think Kostner is another example of a skater that is better seen live for her speed and ice coverage. However, I still feel that TV view is better for evaluating artistry of a skater, because it's up, close, and personal, whereas skating skills are better appreciated live.

3. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I think Michelle Kwan had a lot more charisma live than on TV. I used to think she was overmarked on the presentation score, until I saw her live and then I understood why her second mark was so high.

I think dance is where seeing it live makes all the difference. Speed is a huge part of the mark in dance, and it can be deceptive on TV. Last time I saw them live Sam/Bates and Bob/Sol were slower than on TV, and K/K had far more charisma and appeal.

4. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Not a current example, but seeing Grishuk & Platov live definitely had that effect on me

5. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Emily Hughes, maybe not so much for skating skills but for personality and extroverted energy. She always got a big reaction from the crowds at Nationals, at least the 3 years I was there (05-07).

6. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I think it's so individual.
    I perceive Chan the same live and on TV; I think if somebody has been to a few competitions, then the skating skills translate to the screen because one thinks in 3D and imagines the skaters live. But Verner and Joubert stood out for me live due to that darn " charisma". I am not advocating judging on charisma, either- it's that i was rather surprised at the strength of the intangible.
    As fas as I remember; Flatt, Dube/ Davison, Kostner, Vol/ Morozov looked better live.
    D/W were unforgettable live at 2009 Worlds- am not sure about TV.
    Generally I find skaters much more beautiful live.

7. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

For me it was Verner. I was never particularly a fan until I saw him in person, but it wasn't a "charisma" thing as someone else noted (because I don't really see that so much in him) but rather his skating skills, which were muted by TV. In person his skills really stood out (even against he who shall not be mentioned because I've seen him live too and I still think he's overmarked :p ).

8. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

Ryan Bradley is a great performer.

He lights up an arena when he is "on". Seeing his LP live at Skate America last year was one of the highlights of my trip.

9. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Alissa is even more amazing in person then she is on TV. Same with Jermey.
    The one year I went to nationals Kwan wasn't there and Sasha was. She was beautiful. The only time I enjoyed watching her. But I will never go back to nationals unless I am working or something.
    I never really "got" ice dance until I saw Davis and White in person either. It's not even close to what you see on tv. The power, the speed, the edging is to die for.
    Also people don't look so orange on the ice.

10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

You see skating so much differently live. Ice dance is almost impossible for me to really appreciate on TV, but live you see these incredible differences in power and edging and speed. On the singles front you see some skaters move effortlessly down the entire length of the ice in just a few strokes, while others are like the energizer bunny whirring away furiously but not getting anywhere fast. You also see some skaters that just command attention, and others that don't. Jump height and distance covered also is pretty tough to see on TV.

And I think you're right -- the skaters don't tend to look as orange live, I guess because their makeup is behaving the way it was intended -- to look good in the arena. (Though I still think that most of the skaters look just as great at practices without all the over the top makeup.)

11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

When I saw Kwan at 1998 Worlds she blew me away. Her SP was amazing. I totally got her.

Plushenko when he was a young one was fantastic too.

12. jobelle

jobelle Member

I agree with those who say ice dance is better live. I'm a big dance fan ... my sister not. But after attending the free dance competition at Skate America 2008, I remember that we both came away commenting that the programs make a lot more sense when you can see how the choreography, lifts, etc. fill the ice and create patterns -- not to mention the speed and power you see live that doesn't always translate well to the TV.

I came away from the same competition thinking that Flatt is better in person and absolutely wowed by Yu Na (but I 'm wowed by her on TV as well).

13. bek

bek Guest

I actually would like to see Patrick live one day. It does sound like he'd be amazing to see.

14. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I didn't used to understand the fuss about B/A until I saw them live and had to admit that they were pretty good. ;)

I remember being very disappointed by ChaiSahks because they weren't nearly as fast as on tv. This was in 2004 so maybe they had just slowed down by then!

15. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Seeing Miki Ando live (at 07 worlds) totally changed my opinion of her. In person she is much faster, more refined, more elegant and a better performer than she across on TV. Her jumps are also monsters. :)

Seeing Mao live is a treat too.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

As much as I dislike his style, I admit that it's impressive to see Plushenko skating live.

YuNa Kim is really impressive as well, because you see how fast she is compared to the others, and the ice coverage is immensive !

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Seeing skating live allows to appreciate the speed and ice coverage, and basically all the skating skills. On TV it's harder to see, eventhough for some skaters with brilliant SS it's still visible on TV, like for Chan or Kostner.
    That's why IMO it's close to impossible to judge the components only based on a TV viewing. Judges have the nose on the ice and they see the skills, the speed that we can't really see on TV.
    On TV we get to see the interpretation part since we can get close face captures that is hard to see live except if one has a first raw seat !

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

One aspect which is rarely captured on TV is how silent the blade is, even during furious and intricate step sequences.
    Yuka Sato really made a impression on me...at 94 Worlds practice.

19. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Oh, I must also mention Surya Bonaly; I saw her at 95 worlds when I was just tiny, but I remember her so vividly. Having seen her live there, and having watched her on TV many times since, I must say she comes across 3423523 times better in person.

20. IneZR

IneZR New Member

I definitely changed my opinion on Kostner after seeing her live. Her skating skills are to die for and I can understand where those high PCS come from.

Domnina/Shabalin - I couldn't take my eyes off them even during the warm-up. Even with Maxim's injury they had the best lines in business and very powerfull stroking.

Bobrova/Soloviev are really fast in person.

Also, seeing Brian Joubert live made me appreciate him so much more! His skating is very powerful, and the height he gets on his jumps is pretty amazing too.

21. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Definitely Plushenko. Not that I ever thought he looked bad on TV, but I saw him practice at the 2003 worlds, and I was really blown away by the speed and power of his skating relative to his competitors. (And that speed isn't limited to the ice; the man walks faster than I can run.)

Ice dance in general bored me silly until I started going to Skate America and watching practices, and now I'm hooked. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be more interested in ice dance than in the ladiezzz, and yet here we are.

22. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Surprisingly Flatt was pretty impressive. I wish I could've seen more "on" Kostner because the one time I saw her skate, it was one of her epic disasters.
    Yuna was electrifying, and another surprise, Ando was great--but I didn't like the same skate when I saw it on youtube.

Agree with many on Joubert. He's one of the most charismatic skaters live.

23. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I think it is always better to see them live. TV, although it captures the facial expressions, and can focus on certain aspects (like the feet) in a moment, can't give you the whole picture.........the speed and presence can't translate over tv.

One person who really surprised me live was Irina. She always looked bulky on tv.......not bulky! Tiny tiny....and could she fly!

24. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Inoue/Baldwin - at the live competitions I saw them at, they were *clearly* world class. Even if they blew their jumps or what have you, it was their overall skating that put them at that level. Very fast, very powerful, mature and polished - clearly, at the time, far superior to other US pairs teams in terms of their overall "package". IMO, that doesn't come across for them on tv, but live, it really did.

25. mia joy

mia joy New Member

The difference is always huge, regardless of the skater. The first time I saw skating live, I literally couldn't breathe. The fact that it was a show with some of my favorourite skaters ever didn't help at all ;)

However, I do agree in some skaters' cases the difference is even bigger than normally. I agree about Joubert - not only is he much more charismatic and dynamic, but also he looks way slimmer (and well, therefore hotter :p) live than on TV. And his skating looks easier and smoother. I especially love watching him at trainings, when he's wearing simple black clothes. His competition costumes really don't do justice to him at all.

26. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

His footwork and flow across the ice, yes. His jumps, not so much.:rolleyes:

27. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

People kept telling me that I'd LOVE Plushenko once I saw him live. So I saw him live, and I still don't love him.

But I will say that Rachel Flatt comes across very very boring on TV and is really much more impressive in person.

The first time I saw Suguri or Kostner in person, I was shocked by their speed.

28. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Tomas Verner. Not only is he a charismatic performer but he has really good edge quality and his jumps are huge. Especially his 4t - it's an absolute monster :).

Miki Ando. She is really fast and slender in person and her jumps are really impressive. She also seems more expressive than on TV.

29. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Different question: why DOES the TV camera chunk up so many skaters? I'd agree that with almost all of the skaters, when you see them live they aren't nearly as thick as they often appeared on TV. Irina Slutskaya and Sarah Hughes both turned out to be quite slim and even relatively fine boned up close, but both look much larger on TV. (Phaneuf still looked very big in the shoulders and head in person, but she's one of the few exceptions.)

30. miki88

miki88 New Member

Well they do say TV adds ten pounds (or is it twenty?) ;)
    I think there are qualities that are appreciated differently on TV and live. Skaters who have great extensions and positions are better shown on TV unless you sit in the front row of the rink.