Yokohama tapped to host next World Team Trophy

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Akira Andrea, May 19, 2010.

1. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article by Jack Gallagher in “The Japan Times” in Japan.
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 JST
    By Jack Gallagher

The article:
    Yokohama tapped to host next World Team Trophy
    http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sp20100519it.html

Reference:
    9-12 Dec., 2010 Junior Grand Prix Final (Beijing, China)
    9-12 Dec., 2010 Grand Prix Final (Beijing, China)
    15-20 Feb., 2011 Four Continents (Taipei, Chinese Taipei)
    28 Feb. –6 Mar., 2011 Junior Worlds (Gangneung, Republic of Korea)
    21-27 Mar., 2011 Worlds (Tokyo, Japan)
    14-17 Apr., 2011 World Team Trophy (Yokohama, Japan)
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Yay, another WTT! Thank you for sharing, Akira Andrea!

:cheer2:
  3. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

Cool. I'm still not sure about how I feel with this comp but I'm glad it'll be happening again.
  4. natalia65

natalia65 New Member

Which makes the rest of the world almost completely figureskatingless :huh: :mad: :mitchell:
    Let's abandon competitions and watch shows instead.:barrel
  5. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

:shizuka1: Why do you think so? :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  6. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Well, Asia seems to be where the money is at for figure skating, so it make sense from that perspective.
  7. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

ISU Council decided some time back that World Team Trophy would be an annual event, except in Olympic seasons. So every 3 out of every 4 seasons, WTT will be a part of the international figure skating scene.
  8. FSUSF

FSUSF New Member

What a crappy international competition.
  9. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

There is no prestige in this competition yet but maybe that will come with time? Though is that even possible because the sports really about individuals and two person pairs?
  10. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Where in Yokohama would this hold this I'm wondering. Ice shows usually use the Prince Hotel Rink in Shin-Yokohama. But that rink is very small for this kind of international competition. [seating capacity I mean].
  11. icedance21

icedance21 New Member

I have to agree. I honestly don't understand what the point of this competition is except to obviously milk the sponsors for all they're worth. After a whole season of competitions, forcing elite skaters (assuming their countries qualify) to participate in this (essentially a) cheesefest is just another example of the ISU's poor prioritizing.
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  12. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

As for the rink,the World Team Trophy 2011 is going to be hosted not at the Prince Hotel Rink but at the specially installed rink in Yokohama Arena, where has a sufficient seating capacity for the international big event.
    At this arena, the competition of the figure skating seems not to have been held yet, but ice show "Disney on Ice, in Yokohama" has been held every year.

Refernce: Yokohama Arena
    http://www.yokohama-arena.co.jp/english/profile.html
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  13. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Did you even watch any of the event when it was held last time? :confused:

By all accounts, the event was really popular with the skaters and Japan and Korea are where the :bribe: now is in figure skating.
  14. natalia65

natalia65 New Member

It is never cheap to fly unless you are a witch, so here we go TEB , Euros in Bern :bribe: for Europeans; CoR in Moscow without knownig Russian is an adventute plus :bribe:, SA, SC for the rest of us respectively.:(
    I know there are lots various small competitions in Europe but the pleasure is definitely doubtful.
  15. natalia65

natalia65 New Member

On the other side the market will be overheated eventually and the interest for figure skating in Europe and North America will be lower and lower at the same time.
  16. care bear

care bear Active Member

Europeans can travel to European competitions. It's cheap, do not talk nonsense. For example HAJ -CDG by Air France costs 90 EUR or HAJ-ZRH by Air Berlin 91.95. Or they can save the money for a trip to Japan, Canada or U.S. :cool:
  17. care bear

care bear Active Member

Europeans can travel to European competitions. It's cheap, do not talk nonsense. For example HAJ -CDG by Air France costs 90 EUR or HAJ-ZRH by Air Berlin 91.95 EUR. Or they can save the money for a trip to Japan, Canada or U.S.
  18. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Aren't you being a bit overdramatic? It's one season. You have to make hay while the sun shines.
  19. care bear

care bear Active Member

To make the market better the Europeans need some olympic or world champions from Europe. 2010 all champs came from Asia or N America.
  20. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

I suspect a lot of federations will be very careful with sending entries to Junior Worlds and Worlds based on the cost and the anticipated results ... but then if the ISU proposal gets approved the numbers will go down anyways :wall:
  21. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

Yes, but how all of the poor Euro federations can pay all of the Asian expenses of their teams I don´t know.
  22. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

I feel shame because I was insensitive to your discouragement, which I understand now.
  23. natalia65

natalia65 New Member

and you only have two options that's what I mean.
  24. natalia65

natalia65 New Member

And North America gets... wait a sec... two GP as last year and the year before and before...
  25. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

False. Los Angeles hosted worlds in 2009.
  26. natalia65

natalia65 New Member

The point is that there is no connection between number of champions and figure skating events in the area.
  27. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

How so? Both the Men's and Ladies' world champions are Japanese (and Junior champions, too). And there is definitely a connection between the number of events and the number of fans in the area. The U.S. may have the reigning Olympic Men's' champion, but if they held the World Team Trophy in the U.S., I doubt that they would be able to fill a venue the size of the Yokohama Arena.
  28. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

In April, 2009, the World Team Trophy 2009 was held in Yoyogi National Stadium in Tokyo. If it's usual year, the season greets the ending with the Worlds of the end of March, but it became the form that the end in this season shifted one month approx for this event.
    Nevertheless, in every day, the venue seems to have been buried by crowds of audience and, in the free skating in Ladies, about 10,000 audience seem to have watched the event.

The photo: (from “Sports@Nifty” in Japan)
    Photography: By Masami Morita
    "Thanks a lot Tokyo!", thanks expressed by US Team.
    http://iceblue.cocolog-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/04/23/evanben904s.jpg
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  29. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

I hear US Nationals has been relocated to Mumbai, India and Europeans will be in Bangkok, Thailand so that nobody has to leave Asia all season. :p
  30. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

:yikes: :yikes: :eek:
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  31. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

World Team Trophy was a great event last year.

The $30,000 prizes were the biggest in skating history.
  32. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Russia, USA, Canada, Japan, China, France, Italia are the only countries that could present decent skaters in all disciplines. How do the countries qualify again?
  33. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

That's a good point. We will probably see mostly the same teams from year to year. As the South Koreans found out the hard way, one superstar doesn't get you into this particular competition. You need a real team.
  34. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Could you elaborate on your statement regarding "South Koreans found out the hard way"?
    As of my knowledge, not many Koreans even knew such cheesefest was being held until it was known that Asada was blatantly propped up with a ridiculously high score.

IIRC, Asada scored over 200 points and even got a level 4 for her usual mediocre turn to the left turn to the right footwork. :scream:
    What a coincidence this happened right after Kim won the 09 Worlds becoming the first lady to score over 200 points and Asada got bumped off the podium.
    The funniest thing was that ladies singles was the only discipline that ISU decided to officially recognize scores in it's books. :rofl:

I know some skaters would benefit from the prize money from competing, but it's still no more than a post season cheesefest.
  35. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

That suprised me, so I looked it up. Other than the ladies, the scores were rather low for the other 3 disciplines. It doesn't look like anyone other than the ladies set personal bests.
  36. icedance21

icedance21 New Member

I'm not sure this is a "competition" one would necessarily want to be forced to attend. :p Other than the prize money, I'm not sure I see the benefit. In that sense, for some, it may be better to be from a smaller country without great depth across the disciplines.

That being said, will Japan be the permanent host of the WTT or are the US/Canada/etc. going to host as well?
  37. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

The ISU put this in place to be a money making venture .... which it seemed to be. As long as Japan coughs up the yen, they will be the hosts.
  38. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

why is this any different than what Oz/NZ federations have to do virtually all the time? Or all the years when there was only on GP in Asia?
  39. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Britian, Swiss, Germany, and Czechs could send good teams.
  40. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

You forgot Canadian nationals in Vietnam.

Off the top of my head I can't think how many trips some other NAs have made, but over the past year Joannie had the WTT, Cup of China (IIRC) and the GPF, plus I think she's been to Japan (and Korea?) for SOIs each spring. If she stays eligible she should just get an apartment and coach in Japan. :p