Yoga poses dangers to genuine Christian faith says Seminary president

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by pollyanna, Sep 22, 2010.

1. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Yoga can be dangerous to Christians' faith, says Southern Baptist Seminary President

Yoga poses dangers to genuine Christian faith

Yoga Is Un-Christian

Um, okay. :rolleyes:

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

This isn't out of left field. I know someone who practices yoga as her religion, and constantly explains to people that it is the only path to God. She is now instructing yoga and running workshops on how to find God through yoga and opening "chakras". These ideas are contrary to Christianity as well as other faiths.

3. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

To quote Dawn French as Catherine Spartacus Zeta Douglas Jones, "It's crrrazy, mahn!"

4. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

And I know plenty of people who practice yoga with a focus mostly on body and mind -- and some who use it in their spiritual practice. I am very leery of anyone who professes that they know the only, one true path to knowing God, whatever their beliefs may be. It may be the ONLY path for them -- it doesn't necessarily follow that it is the path for everyone else.

ETA: My most recent experiences with yoga have been in churches. I guess they didn't get the message about what a danger they were exposing the participants to. :slinkaway

5. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Let me tell you something, when I'm in downward facing dog, there's nothing religious going on. Yoga makes me feel good physically and it makes me not quite so neurotic. I just wish these religious zealots would worry about their own souls and not about people doing yoga...

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

It's always seemed to me that the more secure one is in their OWN religion, the less they are disturbed by what anyone else is doing....

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

^^ this.

8. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

AMEN to that!

9. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I just wanted to point out that yoga refers to spiritual practice in general. There is a very false misconception that yoga necessarily includes asanas (body postures).

10. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I think most in the U.S. and other Western countries are most familiar with the asanas of hatha yoga, with its controlled breathing and relaxation/meditation, so that is what the word "yoga" evokes for them.

11. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

So true. I'll say it again: so EFFIN true!

12. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Oh how I hear you on that one!! When I'm in that pose there are only two things going on in my mind. One, how much longer till I can move into the next pose, and two, please fingers stop sliding on me!! :D

I'm not neurotic, but I started Yoga about ten years ago (Eeeek!! Didn't realize it's been that long...) as a way to both do a form of exercise that wouldn't put much strain on my bad knees and also get into better shape than I was in. What I love now about Yoga is how calm and centered I am after doing my Practice. Not to mention how it's really helped w/my Blood Pressure too.

Here Here and AMEN!!!

13. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

Oh, for Pete's sakes ... I've been practising yoga since I was 18 years old ... and, no, I'm not going to tell you how long ago THAT was ... but, suffice to say, it's been a CONSIDERABLE length of time. I practised yoga at 18 for the same reason I practise it today ... as a form of exercise which keeps me extremely flexible and in generally great shape.

I am a Christian and yoga has NOTHING to do with my religion. NOTHING!

I'm willing to bet that 90+ per cent of North Americans practising yoga are doing so for the physical health benefits and as a form of exercise. For them, it has NO connection with religion whatsoever.

Honestly, sometimes I'm just embarrassed by what some "Christians" try to make an issue of. Take care of your own house and stop trying to lay a guilt trip on the rest of us who are just trying to stay fit and healthy. It's just not that deep, folks.

her grace and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Nonsense, Sally!

It starts with doing yoga "for the physical health benefits." Then it's eating arugula. And quinoa. And playing soccer. And meditating. And having an occasional glass of red wine. And studying the writings of Tagore, Krishnamurti, Rumi, and the Buddha.

Before you know it, society is going to health Hell in a handbasket.

It's time someone took a stand against stretching!

;)

15. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awwww, do you really think??? I mean ... I don't really want to get all stiff and all ..... but, if you say so ...

16. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

Yes, yoga has its roots in Hinduism, but the yoga practiced today in Western countries has little or nothing to do with Hinduism. :rolleyes:

17. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Huh, and I was totally going to blow a yoga class off that's coming up in an hour. More reason to go :p ;)

18. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

...raising the question why people are bothered by what this Seminary president is doing and saying...

19. PDilemma

To clarify, I have done yoga in the past and have no problem with it. (It is not currently an option for me because if I take it elsewhere, it will cause problems with my SiL and I'm not interested in being instructed by her for many reasons--including that she informed me that she would charge me MORE than regular students). My point is that some people might have disagreement with it on religious grounds. If a devout person of any faith goes into my SiL's session or yoga-related workshops, they may very well be uncomfortable with or completely object to being told that they will only find God through yoga. That doesn't make her wrong (although this is the ninth or tenth path to God she has told us is the only one and that we must all embrace with her in the last three years--so I'm sure she'll soon declare herself wrong and move on), but that kind of approach does give legitimacy to a Christian person (or a person of any faith that sees the path to God differently) objecting to yoga.

20. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

On a side note, does anyone else find that yoga so does NOT live up to its reputation as gentle and effective exercise? I went to postnatal yoga class this week. Generally, the idea was to get into a muscle straining and painful position, then use one's breathing to learn to like said position. Give me the elliptical machine and circuit training any day.

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think there's anything un-Christian about the physical side of yoga minus the meditation and so forth, and that's how a lot of Christians practice it.

However, I think there's a flaw in Kasey's statement as a general principle (no offense, Kasey). A person in a teaching/leadership position in a denomination or religion -- and president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary is considered such a position -- is hardly supposed to just sit around being "secure in their own religion." By definition, the position entails being concerned about the souls of others and offering guidance to one's fellow believers. One doesn't get appointed or hired as a religious leader just to contemplate one's own soul.

It's the same in the majority of religions, I believe. A priest, a rabbi, an imam . . . that sounds like I'm setting up a "walked into a bar" joke. But seriously, all these leaders are expected to teach their followers and be concerned about what they're doing.

To use an admittedly extreme example, one would think that the Catholic bishops who gave a pass to child-molesting priests were pretty secure in their faith, but the entire world would have been better off if they had been a little disturbed by what others were doing, and stood up and said, "This is NOT acceptable and it will not go on."

Good point. Mohler said this to Christians. If you're not a Christian, why let it get to you?

millyskate and (deleted member) like this.
  22. PDilemma

I did yoga for about 20 weeks a couple of years ago with walking on the off days. I really saw no progress in muscle tone, etc...This year I tried ballet once a week and biking once or twice a week. I've seen major improvements in strength, flexibility and muscle tone that I never saw from yoga--and in half the time. Plus ballet class is fun and a bit social rather than silent. Working from home and doing school online--I need something fun not an hour of more silence. (And, for the record, I talked SiL into trying yoga with me two years ago, but now the story on her studio website is that it was "prescribed by her herbalist for stress"--so apparently, I am an herbalist. I'm still waiting to get paid for that "prescription").

23. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

:D

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  24. genegri

genegri Active Member

^ I can agree with that sentiment when it comes to Yoga, but unfortunately I cannot agree when it comes to Christianity. Not in this country, at least. Until some Christians stop forcing their ideals down other people's throats, they are disturbing me and millions of people no matter how secure we are.

25. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

what country do you live in? :eek:

26. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Maybe the world would be a better place if they did. :p

27. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Not bothered by it. Just amused. :cool:

28. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Seems to me that the whole "condemn any faith that isn't ours" is a pretty un-Christian attitude.

29. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I do yoga twice a week. It has improved my overall health, made my skating stronger and made me more able to handle stressful situations by using the breath (i.e., I was able to do a head MRI sober/not on lalaland pills).

I have done yoga in churches as well. The church didn't appear to burn down. In fact, the only church that I've been in that ever burnt down, to my knowledge, was the one I married my first husband in, LOL.

My main studio is very conscious of peoples' views. They always say something to the effect of "say Namaste if that's right for you," "OM if you want to," blah blah. Chakras are discussed, but more as a way of describing how different parts of the body react to poses vs. religious viewpoints.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  30. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Are you even serious? That's what you think would be an example of what Kasey said? :huh: Kasey meant being secure in your faith and not worrying about other religions and/or another path to God one might have. The last time I checked child molestation is not a religion, and Catholic priests are part of the Catholic religion, so the Catholic bishops better be disturbed when priests are committing a crime.