Yo Yo Ma L'il Buck Dying Swan

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rob, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

2. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

UNREAL!!!

3. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Awesome indeed. Thanks for sharing.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Wow! How does he do that, it looks like he is being held up mostly by a string or something. I wonder if he has super strong ankles or if he has some kind of special shoes to help him do that without hurting himself.

5. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

That's pretty freaking amazing. It even looks like CGI some of the time- his moves are that unreal.

6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. That is really different.

But it is not the Dying Swan!!!! The Swan never died in the music. Only when I play it on my cello does the Swan truly die.

7. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Rob - amazing find! The moves were incredible and the music was just gorgeous. Yo Yo Ma is a genius.

8. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

My ankles ache just watching that. He's the kind of dancer I'd like to see on SYTYCD to see whether he can take coaching and do something more.

But what a gift to be able to hear Yo Yo Ma in that kind of intimate setting.

9. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

She did in the Fokine ballet as performed by Pavlova -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW01o9x0Alc&feature=related
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dying_Swan Pavlova wore a red brooch to suggest the swan had been shot. After that, The Dying Swan became the popular name of the ballet, in US/UK anyway. Don't know about the Russian. Plisetskaya did it as an old swan resisting death by drowning. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-the-dying-swan-ballet-unravelled-449998.html

Ooo there is an embarrassment of Dying Swan riches on You Tube. Lopatkina! :swoon:

10. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

My favorite.

11. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Awesome. I just saw Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble a couple of weekends ago and I just love how he merges different styles of music and art.

12. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That was all kinds of awesome - it's not as classically beautiful as ballet but those sort of movements involve a rare kind of body awareness and control. And :respec: to Yo-Yo for opening up classical music to all different kinds of environments and audiences.