Yet another reason not to rent a computer (or other major appliances)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by deltask8er, May 4, 2011.

1. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Those rental places always seemed like a long-term ripoff to me. Now it's turned into a nightmare for one family.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=209&sid=2368845

:2faced:

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I really hope this was a Mac because paying $1000+ for any other computer is beyond ridiculous and does not make "financial sense."

deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  3. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

That's funny since Macs are ridiculously overpriced. I paid $1700 for my computer. I would have had to pay way over $3000 to get the same specs if I wanted a Mac. Yeah, that would have made sense financially. :lol:

Now, buying any computer from a rental place doesn't make any sense financially whatsoever.

4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Rent to own laptops typically costs 3-4X what you pay to buy them outright. One firm that rents prior year Dell desktops charges a minimum of $25 a week for 52 weeks before it's paid off. That's $1300 for a bare bones machine that's obsolete when you get it.

5. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

People tend to rent computers because they don't have the credit or cash required to be able to purchase one. No, renting one doesn't make financial sense. However, for those who actually need one, and have bad credit and no cash, rental can be their only option.

6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

When I was stationed in San Diego, companies like this would lure the young sailors and their wives into credit hell.