Year-End Film Critics Awards

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Dec 2, 2010.

1. soxxy

soxxy Guest

First up, National Board of Review. The Social Network led the way:

Best Film: The Social Network

Best Director: David Fincher, The Social Network

Best Actor: Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network

Best Actress: Lesley Manville, Another Year

Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale, The Fighter

Best Supporting Actress: Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom

Best Foreign Language Film: Of Gods and Men

Best Documentary: Waiting for “Superman”

Best Animated Feature: Toy Story 3

Breakthrough Performance: Jennifer Lawrence, Winter’s Bone

Ten Best Films
    (in alphabetical order)
    Another Year
    The Fighter
    Hereafter
    Inception
    The King’s Speech
    Shutter Island
    The Town
    Toy Story 3
    True Grit
    Winter’s Bone

http://www.nbrmp.org/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  2. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Interesting top 10 list. The Social Network is probably the best film of the year with Winter's Bone just slightly behind. I would have had Let Me In on the list for sure. I was also expecting to see Black Swan on the list. I am excited about The Fighter and Another Year. I wasn't expecting Shutter Island to be in the top 10. I'm really excited for Jennifer Lawrence getting the breakthrough award, her turn in Winter's Bone was absolutely stunning.

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Hereafter? Color me surprised. I thought the story was really weak.

4. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I didn't see it, but I don't remember it getting particularly great reviews. I didn't find this year to be particularly strong in movies, but maybe it was weaker than I thought.

5. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I can't wait to see the remake of "True Grit". Not sure if anyone can live up to John Wayne though.

I'd love to see a remake of "Jeremiah Johnson" also.

6. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm in love with the idea that the Coen brothers remade True Grit. I'm just not usually a big fan of westerns, so I'm not sure if I'll actually love the movie as much as I do in my head.

7. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

I wonder why anyone would want to remake True Grit. What's the matter with the original? Then again, I think remakes of anything are annoying. Except possibly A Star is Born, which to me was really just three different movies, twenty years apart.

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but has anyone actually seen Winter's Bone? It is an AWFUL movie. The acting saves it from being on the "worst" list for me. The writing actually had myself and my BF laughing out loud because it was just awful. You could practically see writers in the background as this stuff came out of the actor's mouths.

9. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I hate to disagree, well...actually I don't, I think Winter's Bone was really amazing. The acting is great and while the writing may not be up to the acting 100 percent, I don't find it laughable like you seemed to find it.

10. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I thought Winter's Bone very worthwhile, with Jennifer Lawrence acting award well deserved. I suppose one's mileage may vary regarding the story....it's very similar to Frozen River and to Tilda Swinton's Julia, somewhat.

11. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

It can't nearly be as funny as Black Swan. :shuffle:

12. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Do tell. It won't be in my area for a while. I love Portman's Swan makeup! :lol:

13. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

But that is quintessential Aronofsky - most of his films are structured that way (some to a greater degree than others). Some have argued that the Wrestler bordered on overtly melodramatic tones (nearing the end of the movie).

14. Indra486

I found myself laughing at how over the top it was. It almost seemed like a "serious" parody of the ballet world.

Particularly, in one scene Vincent Cassel tells Portman that she MUST masturbate in order to discover her Black Swan. It just sounded like do or die.

Then it was wild times with Tom and Jerry. Yes, those are the names.

Portman also steals the door knob after, IIRC, she locks her mother in.

15. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Yikes. I've only seen Aronofsky's The Wrestler, which I liked, and Requiem For a Dream, which I didn't, except I've grown to like the score. ;)

16. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Jacki Weaver is generating a fair bit of Buzz here in Oz. She's been around for ever here and is very respected (she was great in Cosi, which is about a production of Cosi fan Tutte being staged in a mental asylum... yes, very Australian and quirky). In Animal Kingdom she plays the matriarch of a crime family. There is even Oscar buzz surrounding her role which is fantastic for her.

17. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I've seen all of his movies except Black Swan, which I plan on seeing as soon as possible. I absolutely love The Wrestler, but I can see where people detect melodrama toward the end. I can't say I like Requiem for Dream, but I think it's a virtuoso effort with incredible acting. Pi is worth checking out as well.

18. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I'm pretty sure that's the way it will be with The Coehn Brother's True Grit. I doubt they will refer much to the original movie but go back to the original source material and put their own unique spin on it.

19. Wyliefan

I don't plan to see Black Swan because psychological horror leaves me unhinged and totally unable to sleep. But I went to The Movie Spoiler to read about it (why yes, I always read all about movies I don't plan to see, doesn't everybody?) and was left thinking, "Um . . . what?"

20. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am unsure if I will see Black Swan when it finally comes to my area but I have to be honest and say that the trailer did NOT convince me like it has so many people. Everyone is just raving over this movie and can not wait to see it. I don't get it. The trailer didn't turn me off but it in no way stood out as a "must see" for me. It did look very over the top and melodramatic but I thought maybe it was just the trailer and editing. Guess not.

21. Wyliefan

Mind you, I think the concept of Black Swan is really interesting. It's just that the execution sounds . . . not so impressive.

22. Indra486

With all the rave, particularly the end, I thought it was going to be a surprise but it wasn't and there was enough clues, I think, to have guessed where it was going. I mean, I called out the ending for Oldboy about twenty minutes into the movie and everyone in my class said "Yeah, right." :lol:

23. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

I love cheesy melodrama, so I'll definitely see Black Swan at some point. The movie I really want to see is 127 Hours, but it is sadly nowhere near me.

The Washington DC Critics came up with their nominees:

Best Film:
    Black Swan
    Inception
    127 Hours
    The Social Network
    Toy Story 3

Best Director:
    Daren Aronofsky (Black Swan)
    Danny Boyle (127 Hours)
    Joel and Ethan Coen (True Grit)
    David Fincher (The Social Network)
    Christopher Nolan (Inception)

Best Actor:
    Jeff Bridges (True Grit)
    Robert Duvall (Get Low)
    Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network)
    Colin Firth (The King’s Speech)
    James Franco (127 Hours)

Best Actress:
    Annette Bening (The Kids Are All Right)
    Anne Hathaway (Love & Other Drugs)
    Nicole Kidman (Rabbit Hole)
    Jennifer Lawrence (Winter’s Bone)
    Natalie Portman (Black Swan)

24. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I've never seen The Wrestler or Requiem for a Dream (not all the way through) but The Fountain is pretty melodramatic as well. :lol: It's just Aronofsky's thing.

25. soxxy

soxxy Guest

What? No Leo for Inception or Shutter Island? :(

26. Zelda

Zelda New Member

I thought he pretty much played the same "tough guy with family issues" character in both films.

27. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I don't recall his character having a family in Shutter Island, but it's been a while since I've seen it. I liked Inception more.

28. Wyliefan

Let's just say that his family in Shutter Island came to a rather nasty end, partly through his own doing.

29. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Obviously my memory is completely shot. Moving on.....

30. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

:yikes:

I've heard horrendous things about this film. Anyone see it?