Yankowskas/Reagan, Parsons/Parsons have withdrawn from 2013 US Nationals

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 8, 2013.

1. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I don't think they have ruled out applying for a bye to Worlds. :sekret:
  2. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

And if they are healthy, it would be silly not to let them compete given their results.
  3. madm

madm Active Member

Caitlin and Rockne used to train together (with different partners) in Colorado Springs. They are well aware of each other's size and capabilities. IMO Caitlin is much too big for Rockne. An ideal height difference would be 7-8" or more. Caitlin is close to 5'4" and Rockne is 5'9".
  4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Using the ISU Communications for Torino and Vancouver and Wikipedia for the 1991, 1993, 1997, and 2001 WC results, there was never a situation where the total number of spots earned by countries earning 3 or 2 spots at the pre-Olympic Worlds was greater than the number of spots for the Olympics from pre-Olympic Worlds:

Pairs (16 spots):
    2010: 14; 2006: 16*; 2002: 15; 1998: 15; 1994: 15; 1992: 12

*Next country down the list earned one spot.

Dance (19 spots):
    2010: 14; 2006: 18; 2002: 18; 1998: 16; 1994: 17; 1992: 13

(Although it's mathematically possibly for there to be 27 28 qualifiers in singles if eleven countries had two skaters who, in combination, each earned two spots, and the gold and silver medalist were the lone entries for their country, it hasn't been close for the last six Olympics at least, as it has in Pairs and Dance, and I didn't look at details.)

Were the top US Pairs to under-perform, with neither beating P/Z or J/C (and P/T winning bronze), but were still to earn two, I suspect USFS, or any other country in the same position, would ask the ISU for an exception, since it would the first time earned spots would be split.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  5. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

There are 10 young (ish) teams that are ready for the challenge this year at Nationals. I for one am excited for some new blood.

Anyone who has seen Caitlin this year should not be surprised by the withdrawal announcement.

I am certain Caydee and John will go to Worlds if he is able. (They have put in an official bye request)
  6. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

What do you mean? I thought it was because of Josh's injury.
  7. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Offering my condolences here too, as well as over on the Pairs Thread. BUT, I actually think this is a blessing in disguise. It will give them more time to heal properly, *gell*, and perfect their programs for next season. :cool:
  8. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

this
  9. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Really? Really?

Pulling out of all competitions this year (including 2 Grand Prixs) all the way back to skate Detroit because of an injury to Josh? You can question me all you want, this team will never see the light of day.
  10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Given the (un)reliability of your previous posts, it's not worth questioning you.
  11. AJ Skatefan

I'm just asking what you mean. Your previous statement was rather vague so I was asking for clarification.
  12. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Clarification isn't that poster's strong suit. Peppering subtle hints and then dropping the microphone and walking off stage is what we usually get. Take it or leave it, I guess. :hat1:
  13. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

If you have information, share it. All these vague hints based on supposed insider knowledge are pointless otherwise.

While I have no idea what's happening with Y/R, it is hardly unprecedented for skaters to miss extended periods of time and even full seasons due to various injuries.
  14. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

My assumption is the poster is referring to the fact that Caitlin never really looked in competitive shape, nor did the team ever really get off the ground as far as looking strong contenders for this season domestically or internationally. Whether or not it is due to injury, I don't know, but judging from what little they put out this year they were never going to be in the medal hunt and were most likely not ready to compete at Nationals this year. Missing this year leaves little hope for Sochi, so I would be suprised if this team stayed together after this season. Perhaps they withdrew to avoid a poor showing moreso than an injury. I guess I am just not suprised by this withdrawl considering they didn't finish a competition this season.
  15. AJ Skatefan

Thanks carriemarie. That makes sense. A straightforward answer.
  16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Where did Yankowskas/Reagan show this year? I doubt Denney/Coughlin would have looked all that great in a small, mall rink with a tree in the middle of the rink.
  17. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

It's what the ignore feature is for.... LOL!
    Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

:lol:
  19. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

:lol: That was my point. They haven't put anything out really (although they did a SP at Detroit this summer, right?), so I personally wasn't shocked they withdrew. It's not a slam on the partnership. In theory it sounded really good, but the lack of competitive results led me to believe there was little chance they were ever going to show up at Nationals. They never got their programs out there and if they have been off the ice for a considerable amount of time for whatever reason it just not realistic to debut at Nationals for a brand new team. Injury, lack of training, the inability to gel, whatever. This has been a disappointing year for them. Perhaps they will focus on next year, but with the way US Pairs go I have a feeling they will break up. Regardless, best of luck to them.
  20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I understand why they wouldn't be ready given their lack of preparation due to his injury, but when did people see the two of them perform to conclude that she's not in good shape? The only thing I saw was a YouTube video clip in the mall shot from way above. She didn't look particularly out-of-shape to me, but it wasn't much to go on.
  21. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I believe jdonavan posted about seeing Y/R's Skate Detroit SP (no public video, AFAIK). But that was back in July and I wouldn't expect most brand new teams to look competition ready so early in the season.
  22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Add to that, last July was when she had been off for almost a season, and they had been together for four months.
  23. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

I am not trying to be mysterious, I apologize If I have. Please refer to ANY of my postings regarding this team...They have all come to fruition. I was and am a fan of Caitlin Y. She was a beautiful breeze of talent that seemed to energize the entire US pair program. As we have seen in the past (many times) a bad breakup can suck the wind out of the sails so to speak. CarrieMarie did nutshell it for me. Thanks!
  24. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Evora/Ladwig did this same show a few years back and it was stunning....sigh...Retired one year too early I guess
  25. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

I have hopes for Josh and Caitlyn. If I go on what she posts on instagram, I would say she is happy with her partnership with Josh. But I could wrong. Seeing them compete at Nationals would have made my month, but if they are not ready and want to make a big splash next year by skipping Nationals then that is the better route. Kinda wish Emily Samuelson did that, oh well. Staying together and sending positive vibes is the way to go. Isn't that part of the formula for a good pair, longevity?
  26. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

I kind of hoped that Caitlyn would skate with Themi Leftheris. Oh well, whomever she skates with, I wish her the best. She really is a lovely skater. Few US women have such good posture.
  27. B.Cooper

B.Cooper New Member

28. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

I don't think anyone is trying to say she is sitting at home on her couch eating bon-bons. She is a naturally thin girl. I think the point trying to be made is that they most likely were not in competitive shape due to injury, lack of training due to injury, and lack of competitive experience, so this withdrawl isn't a big suprise. It would be unrealistic to think that they would be ready for Nationals with all the time they sat out in the fall, especially considering they are a brand new team. I don't think anyone is disputing an injury, but perhaps there were other factors to this withdrawl as well. It's really doesn't matter at this point. It is what it is. It's too bad as I would have enjoyed seeing them in Omaha.