Yankowskas/Reagan, Parsons/Parsons have withdrawn from 2013 US Nationals

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Just tweeted by @USFigureSkating.

Ice dance siblings Rachel & Michael Parsons won their first international medal (bronze) at the JGP in Zagreb, Croatia this past fall, and were contenders for the Junior World team. My hearsay info is that he is injured. :(. Their official site: http://www.parsons.ice-dance.com/

Re-posting from the 2013 US Nationals forum:
    ETA that the new fill-up rule for pair and dance teams does not apply because there are now 12 Junior dance teams at Nationals (due to Aldridge/Eaton's JGPF bye). If there had been 11, I believe the 5th place Jr. dance team at Pacific Coasts could have replaced Parsons/Parsons.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Sigh. It looks like things just aren't going to happen for Caitlin. Maybe next season, but she's already lost two years. Sigh.

3. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I hope he gets better soon. :(

4. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I was just going to say that, I wonder what is going on. :(

5. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Y/R have been very mysterious all year. There has been some talk of injuries, but my feeling is that they just aren't ready yet...

Wonder if they'll stay together; I kind of doubt it.

6. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

IS it still a rib injury for him? Any details?

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I haven't heard anything yet about Y/R. Maybe there will be a public statement later.

8. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

That will be tough for Caitlin to recover from two lost seasons. You do have to wonder what is going on with the partnership.

9. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

really sad for caitlin; with d/b out of the way, the field is very open behind c/s.
    i so badly want to see her back, it was just a joy to watch her in the olympic season.

10. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

It is sad that Yankowkas can't get her pairs career on track. She is one of the few US ladies that is an elegant pairs skater. I hope next season will be better for her.

11. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Totally. IMO she is currently the best North American pair skater. It is such a shame that she just can get a good break from her career because of partner issues.

12. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Darn, I was so hoping that Y/R would make a splash at Nationals and get back on track for Sochi.
    Caitlin is such a lovely skater. She has experienced her share of bad luck. Such a shame.

13. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

On FB US Figure Skating posted that all the withdrawals were due to injury. No further details were posted though.

14. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Man just when i thought at the beginning of this season the US was getting depth back in Pairs it's really thin now with all these injuries and breakups.

15. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Sad. (((US Pairs competition this year)))

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

17. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

WOW! :eek: At this point, are there even any pairs left to compete at Nationals? No D/C, no M/B, no Amanda Evora, no Y/R, no P/P, and there are probably more that I'm not up to speed on. Sad! :(

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Parsons/Parsons are a Junior ice dance team. Yes, there are still some decent Senior pairs left scheduled to compete. :)

19. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

So now the very real possibility comes into play that the US may only qualify one pairs team to the Olympics next season. :eek:

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I rather doubt that will happen.

21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I think they can still get 2 spots for the Olympics. There is no competition from Japan or Korea in pairs, which helps. So they only have to deal with the Russians, Canadians, Europeans and Chinese. Chances are one pair from each country will do poorly. If the US champions, whoever they are, could finish at #10 and the other pair at #18 (or #12 and #16) they could earn 2 spots (I hope my info is correct).

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

It's always possible, but it's a long shot, unless there's a big upset at US Nationals, i.e., Castelli/Shnapir are third or lower. Russia has a lot of Pairs in the pipeline, but only three of them can compete. Takahashi/Tran are out. Sui/Han are out. Castelli/Shnapir have the 9th highest total score so far this season in GP, and Denney/Coughlin are one spot ahead of them and not competing. Scimeca/Knierem are 14th on the GP list, with four Russian couples ahead of them and only three that can compete.

Last year, the four teams that didn't make the FS (18 placement points) were Montalbano/Kasnopolski, Morand/Leeman, Kemp/King, and Ri/Thae (PRK). M/K and M/L (he retired) split, last season and this season North Korea only sent R/T to 2012 Worlds, where they didn't meet the SP minimum and didn't compete in the FS, and Kemp/King have been injured and still need the Worlds TES SP minimum. Both Vise/Baldwin's and Davis/Ladwig's high GP scores of 143.X are competitive with K/K's highest score from last season (138+), and C/S's and S/K's GP highs are substantially higher.

At this point, it will be interesting to see if there are enough Pairs competitors at Worlds to drop anyone from the FS, and if they open up the minimums, it will be for skaters who've scored substantially worse than the four US teams that competed in GP this year. Just making it to the FS earns a maximum of 16 points, which means one team needs to be Top 12, which is realistic, barring disaster or fluke, like Borodulin's broken blade.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I just looked it up - 11 pairs competed in the Preliminary (FS) round at 2012 Worlds and the top 8 advanced to the SP. 20 pairs then competed in the SP and the top 16 advanced to the FS.

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Then Ri/Thae's Preliminary Round FS score (47+) gives them the World TES FS minimum (45). I'll add that to the thread on Minimum Scores Achieved. They didn't make the 4C's score (20) in the SP round, where they failed to qualify for the FS.

With the current minimums, I'm not sure there are more than 16 teams not blocked by the number of their countries' spots with the current TES minimums. If the ISU lowers the TES minimums to include more teams, Donlan/Speroff also should be competitive with any of the teams that would be let in. (They've also met the ISU TES minimums and competed in GP this season.)

25. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Yeah, it will be virtually impossible to not qualify 2 pairs with the lack of entries. On another note, when the heck are they going to decide whether or not to open up the minimums? I'd hate to see teams from more obscure countries split because they think getting the minimum score and going to Worlds is hopeless, only to have the ISU lower the score at the last minute. :rolleyes:

26. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Not likely. The pairs would have to score 14th and 15th or lower to miss out on two spots. C/S and S/K (Scimeca/Knierim) are the only two American teams currently eligible. Their SBs (relative to all others, excluding those not competing due to injury/number of national spots) would rank them 8th and 12th.

re: minimums

They confirmed the minimums for 4CC on January 3rd (the event starts on Feb 6th). It's two weeks before the entry deadline.

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Vise/Baldwin, Donlan/Speroff, and Zhang/Bartholomay still need the Worlds TES SP minimum; they all have the FS minimum, some of the multiple times.

Depending on how US Nationals shakes out, 4C's might be the last shot for any of these three.

28. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Y/R weren't even medal favorites this year even with a weakened field, so this statement really doesn't make any kind of sense.

29. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Do Davis/Ladwig have the minimum for both programs? (Worlds)

30. reese

reese Well-Known Member

No. Of the current Nationals field, only C/S and S/K have both.