1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yankowskas and Coughlin Announce End of Partnership

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by babbyrabbit, May 4, 2011.

1. ros01

ros01 Member

Re the comments about Rockne not waiting a bit longer to find someone, who's to say he won't get involved in this game of musical partners and switch? Only one year with Marley, and I don't know how committed they are.

2. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb Active Member

My thoughts exactly :wuzrobbed
    and I love that movie :) Christmas Story is a classic

:swoon: If Sasha needs a place to stay, he can stay with me :grope:

That sucks Yankowskas & Coughlin were a great couple. I REALLY hope he is retiring and not dumping her for Caydee.

I definately am thumbs up for a pairing of Caitlin & Rockne or Caitlin & Bryce. I wish her the best of luck in finding her "Trankov". She is a great talent which hopefully doesnt get wasted.

Ugh...still in shock over this :(

3. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

If E&L really want to retire, they could come back next season, win the title and then retire. Thus keeping alive the win-the-title-and-split/quit trend yet saving us from an up and coming pair doing that.

4. Pairsis

Pairsis New Member

Caitlin really needs someone who has the same beautiful line and stretch as she has. There are very few male pair skaters that can match her. I would say Drew Meekins would be one as far as line and extension. The other two male pair skaters that come to mind are Chris Knierim and Andrew Speroff, however they both seem to be very happy with their current pair partners. Caitlin really needs someone at least 5 '10 or taller, I think Rockne would be too short for her. Are there any othe rmale pair skaters out there in the US who would be a good match for her?

5. figurefan

figurefan New Member

American pairs just tick me off! Stick together already!

I'm hoping the skating with Denney thing is just a rumor, he cannot be that stupid. Even though Caitlin was the eye catcher in the pair, he was improving and was learning how to present her. If he retires then fine but if he goes to another partner, IMO he gave up the only shot he had at a World medal.

I have given up on waiting for the next great American pair...I do not see it happening anytime soon.

6. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

:wideeyes: WOW! In NO WAY did I see this one coming! Maybe they really feel they have gone as far as they can go with skating. I feel they did achieve the highest position at Worlds that they could have with what they currently have. Anyway, I wish them a successful future in whatever they pursue from here and I'm going to miss seeing them. Caitlin bar none has the best posture and line of any US pairs lady in my recent memory, maybe ever! I hope she is able to find a pairs partner who is worthy of her talent!

7. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I still can't believe this. What a mess. John better be retiring because if he comes back next year with Caydee Denney he's going to go from one of the most beloved skaters to persona non grata in record time. Denney/Coughlin will never get any love from international judges. They are looking at the same ceiling Denney/Barrett hit.

Again, such a shame. This was such a breakthrough season for Caitlin and John. They had every reason to believe they could make it into serious podium contention by Sochi. Who's next? Shibutani/Shibutani? They also had an awesome, totally breakthrough year. Meryl/Charlie?

grrrrrr...

8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Was reading on Marissa Castelli's wiki page that she is 4-11. I didn't realize she was that petite. IMO, she would be Rockne's ideal partner.

Caitlin would then team up with Bryce in my fantasy world.

9. ros01

ros01 Member

If Caitlin can find a good partner, maybe this is a good thing. I always thought she had lovely line and stretch and that John's posture didn't match hers at all. I didn't see worlds yet so am surprised to hear people talking about a world medal for them, but their placement is great.

10. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Ok, don't murder me for this one, but I kinda thought about this after two IN articles talked about this being the last time they performed "Ave Maria."

Now, clearly, the last time a skater/pair skates a program is usually the end of the season, but calling it a "farewell" just struck me in a weird way. People don't usually say that about other skaters.

11. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Maybe Rena and John should come back...maybe Kyoko and John Z could come back?

12. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Does their photo stay on the USFSA banner? A little strange if they both pair up with new partners this year.

13. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I don't see why not, their medals didn't get taken away. They still earned that spot and should be kept up there.

14. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Very sad to hear this. :(

Don't like the comments about Rockne and Mary Beth...they showed enormous poise at Nationals and I am very excited about their future. The judges definitely gave them the thumbs up and I'm pretty sure they are committed to their partnership. Here's hoping, anyway!

15. casken

casken Well-Known Member

:eek:

If the Denney rumor is true, and I don't think it is, then the Denney family must have thrown a boatload of :bribe: at John. I can't see any other way.

But I don't believe it. It makes no sense for John as him and Denney will always be known as the more awkward half's of previous teams. The only positive is that they'll make each other look less stiff than they did with their previous partners.

Drew Meekins would be interesting for Caitlin, I'm just curious what kind of support he would get from the USFSA. I don't quite see them convincingly pulling off the romantic thing that the judges seem to love in pairs skating. :shuffle:

She desperately needs a partner though. I'm actually hoping she already has one lined up and she's just holding off the announcement.

16. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Yeah, John called it a "farewell tour", and while he tweeted after the SP, he's been silent since, despite them doing so well in the LP... Between this and the Denney/Coughlin rumor, it seemed evident that something was up.

17. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

Horrible, awful, crazy news!!!

I'd like to see her paired with John Zimmerman. I can dream, can't I???? :D

18. easilydistracte

easilydistracte Active Member

[Getting to the party late, as usual. . .]
    This is stunning news. The timing is so weird, especially since they have just started achieving successes and recognition on the international level. What the hell is going on with US Pairs, anyway?!!

I think she'd do well with Bryce or Drew. Hope she finds a great partner soon. Best of luck to both Caitlin and John in all their future endeavors, whatever those may be.

19. chachacha

chachacha Member

Drew Meeken, :lol: She is to big for Drew Meekin he had a hard time lifting Jessica who was smaller then Caitlin and he is to skinny. She needs someone over 6' and a bigger build.

20. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Gotta just love American pairs! Geesh.

21. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

That's it for me. :( In the future, the only pairs teams that I will get emotionally invested in will be in dance. I hope that Caitlin finds another partner soon! I enjoyed watching her skate at Worlds this season.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

That's surprising. I got to meet Caitlin at Nationals during an autograph session, and I was amazed at how tiny she was. Tiny tiny tiny! If Drew can't lift and throw Caitlin, then who could he lift and throw? :confused:

23. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Caitlin is 5'3" yes? So for a pairs girl that's actually not tiny, even if she is really skinny, a girl who's 4'11" or 5' is bound to weigh less, and for pairs that's more of an average height for a girl. Anyhow, a girl of her height should ideally with a guy at least 6' tall. Julia Vlasov was too big for Drew and was also 5'3".

In any event, I'm really sad they are breaking up after having such a successful season. I was thinking they might have a shot at medaling come Sochi if they stayed together...

24. Verbalgirl77

Verbalgirl77 is silently judging you

Oh, man. You've gotta be kidding me! :wuzrobbed

We need to ID a quality guy for Caitlin ASAP. She and Bryce would be a dream but I doubt they'd be able to get him. This is too bad.

25. chachacha

chachacha Member

Well, I have not seen Drew since he skated with Jessica so maybe he has bulked up but Caitlin needs someone taller and bulkier then Drew Meekins. He struggled on lifts with Jessica and she was not even 5'0. Plus, although Drew has beautiful lines and I had loved to watch him skate, I think he perhaps should maybe look to skate with Caydee Denney, she is tiny tiny tiny!!!!!
    Which is what he needs.

26. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I apologize for not reading this whole thread, but is Stephen Carriere tall enough for her? He was thinking of switching to pairs. I'm thinking he might be too short, but he's a really nice skater, imo. Would love to see him get an opportunity to continue. He was always held back a bit by his lack of pizazz, but that wouldn't hurt so much in pairs. Everyone will be looking at the girl anyway!

27. Marroncream

Marroncream Active Member

:fragile:
    I really liked them...

28. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Someone upthread said she is 5'2, but ok.

29. shuilee

shuilee Well-Known Member

Bryce Davison + Cailtin Yankowskas = American version of V&T!! :respec: I want this super-team to happen ASAP!!

30. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I know Bryce has duel citizenship, but would he still have to be released by Skate Canada? Sorry, I'm sure this has been answered in other threads, I just can't find it at the moment.