Yankowskas and Coughlin Announce End of Partnership

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by babbyrabbit, May 4, 2011.

1. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

What?! They'd had such a break through year that this will make no sense unless one of them is retiring. I really hope it's not financial, but if it was I'd hope USFS would have tried to help somehow.

ETA: If Bryce is up to the challenge, I can see him with Caitlin. I hope she finds a strong partner. As for Denney/Coughlin, his lines aren't the greatest but I was okay with it because 1) he seemed like such a great guy and 2) Caitlin grabbed most of my attention. I don't think Caydee would do it.
  2. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

This is the strangest break-up I've ever heard. Makes no sense at all.

(And if it is true that he is going to Caydee, then he's an idiot. But I assume it's still speculation that he's switching to Caydee.)
  3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It's hard to imagine USFS releasing Yankowskas. Davison was born in the US and I assume has dual citizenship, and he's already sat out the year. They would look beautiful together, considering his line and skating skills. And they'd really bring the pretty.

It makes a lot of sense, since he looks like Morozov with Volosozhar compared to her. Denney is much less refined, and Coughlin is more physically suited to her.

Yes.

If both have new partners next season, the new teams qualify for the GP alternates list.

With the new proposals to choose based on rankings, would they use the ranking of the previous partnership, or would they go to the bottom with no ranking?
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  4. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I'm in shock...
  5. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I think it was stated in the D&D thread that Bryce does have dual citizenship.

I think they'd be a beautiful pair providing his injury isn't too serious and he was willing to skate for the US.

And I agree with some of the above posters. If John did dump Caitlin for Denney, then he's a freaking idiot.
  6. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Can Bryce still skate at an elite level? I know he's recovered, but I thought his condition was chronic and could happen again at any time.
  7. isamelia

isamelia Member

Maybe Yankowskas wants to move back to Boston to train and Coughlin wants to stay in the Springs? What is Ben Okolski doing these days?
  8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I asked a coach at our rink (a former pairs skater, contemporary to all the current seniors) this weekend if he had heard anything about Coughlin supposedly stopping skating with Yankowskas. His response was essentially "No, no one has said anything about that. Why would he do that?" I said I had heard he'd be skating with Denney, and was told "that's stupid".

I'm sad to say it seems like the internet was right. (Although if John is just ready to retire, that's another matter...)
  9. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Too soon to tell. :(
  10. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

No. Rockne is little for a pairs guy. Caitlin needs and deserves a tall, lean Trankov type.
  11. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Perhaps Denney's mother has offered to pay 100% of the training and other bills?

This is preposterous. When I heard this rumor last month, even I wasn't cynical enough to believe it was true. And that never happens!
  12. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I think that could work, if they could convince Davison to move out of Canada. He also needs to be fully recovered... Who knows exactly how far along he is with that. I wonder if he's been in contact with anyone yet as far as possible tryouts are concerned.

She's tiny for 6'2" John Coughlin. She's at least 5'2", if not a bit taller. I imagine she'd want a partner at least at Bryce Davison's height (5'10" or so), and someone even taller than that would be nice. It's hard to be picky in pairs though.
  13. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

All I can say is if the Caydee rumor is true, John needs an MRI of his head before he puts on skates since he may be suffering from some delusions and could be a danger to himself and Caydee.
    oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Ziggy answered this on another thread, emphasizing that ranking would be based on the current (2011-12) season, meaning that either new pairing (if Coughlin is continuing) would need to earn points at competitions, like Senior B's, that qualify for points to create a ranking.
  15. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

The first American pair I was excited about in a long time. :(

It's unbelievable to think he would switch partners for Denney.

Please let it not be true. :p
    tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Maybe they just did not get on very well? That would be very tiring if you have to be with the other person day in day out year after year...
  17. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^ I'm unclear. Is John retiring or is he switching partners???

Bryce having dual citizenship is tantalizing! That would work for me. I assume this would be a US pair, but Canucks would probably throw their yarn at him when they skate internationally... :shuffle:

ETA - so I assume that many here believe that Caitlin is a superior lady pairs skater to Jessica Dube??
  18. Cloudy_Gumdrops

This hypothetical pairing would be better off in the US.

Canada has 2 strong pairs in M-T&M and D&R. L&S aren't bad either. I"m sure there are others I've forgotten about

The US's strongest pair at this point is E&L, and they're not exactly consistent.
  19. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Where did you get that impression from?

Has Dube even been mentioned in this thread?
  20. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Unless things changed in the past couple of months or they were lying in interviews, that's not the case. All of their interviews/articles indicated that they were very close friends (but not a romantic item).
  21. reese

reese Well-Known Member

And there have been some pretty consistent rumors that E&L will both be retiring in this off-season...
  22. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think everyone is unclear. But "considering his options" seems like code for "I have another partner, but don't want to sound ungracious to Caitlin". If he knows he's retiring, retire. She is said to be "looking" for another partner. It seems like if he was looking, he would say so too- but if he has already found one and doesn't want to be engulfed in phone calls from pairs skaters and their coaches, he won't say that he is "looking".

As for Dube, I don't know what other people think, but I don't think the comparison is relevant. She dumped Bryce, so he's free (assuming he is well to skate). No one is suggesting taking Bryce from Jessica to have him skate with Caitlin.

That would make me sad, but it would not be surprising. It seems they are both in the stages of their life where they can move onto other things.
  23. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Well, IMO, Caitlin is a stronger partner. She's a pretty strong partner period. Still young, great lines, graceful, consistent, etc.
  24. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

From the USFS press release:
    For what it's worth, I recall reading or hearing that Coughlin had not committed to competing past this season, and so I am not going to assume that the split is directly tied into the possibility of Coughlin skating with anyone else, including Denney.

I respect both Caitlin and John for the wonderful success and improvements in their skating that they were able to achieve together this season and wish them both the very best in the future.

ETA: Coughlin's most recent tweet was on 4/27 before Y/C's Worlds FS:
  25. olympic

I dunno. Thought I read that somewhere here
  26. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

That would be a shame, especially since, with all the retirements/breakups, they have a reasonably clear path to the 2012 US title. Maybe stay in one more year and go out with a bang...?
  27. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

This is insane, but it explains his quote in this IN article on Worlds:

I hope Caitlin finds a new partner soon.
  28. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I can't remember.. did Dobbs' old partner Jakobssen officially retire?
  29. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Ugh!

I'm glad she intends to look for a partner, though. She's too talented to end her career now.
  30. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Well I hope she finds a new partner successfully, she's easily the best lady American pairs skater I can think of in...thinking....thinking...

It's been a while
  31. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I'm assuming he's retiring. A shame because it seems US pairs just don't stick together, even after success. Y&C were lovely. :(
  32. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Now, now, don't go jumping to any conclusions about Canadians! :D

If Bryce can regain his health, and find a good partner (which Caitlin certainly would be), then more power to him, regardless of which country he ends up skating for. It would certainly make more sense for them to skate for the US. Pairs is a tough discipline, finding a good match is even harder, and I wish them all the best if they can make it work.

We don't even all knit. ;)
  33. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

I'm gonna go with 3-axel landing rockstar Rena Inoue ;)

I love Caitlin though, and I think her skating is gorgeous. I really hope she can find someone suitable to skate with.
  34. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Has Drew Meekins retired officially? Is he too slight in build for Caitlin? They'd bring the pretty, that's for sure. (although he'd have to up his jump dependability.)
  35. icestar1123

icestar1123 New Member

longtime stalker, first time poster :D

so sad to hear that they broke up...hopefully she can find a partner that can match her amazing skills...she is hands down one of the best pairs ladies that i've seen come out of the US in such a long time.

best of luck to both of them
    doubleturn and (deleted member) like this.
  36. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto New Member

I think caitlin's gonna pair up with drew meekin...
  37. olympic

Oh yeah. Forgot about him. Is he still in the game??
  38. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Yeah, they might want to rethink that considering if you are alive and breathing, you may be in contention for the National title next season. I know they are quite a bit older than the others and probably want to retire sooner than later, but age is just a number. Then again, if a team like Denney/Coughlin really does get off the ground, the US pairs field would be slightly less barren.

That would be surprising.
  39. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Oh crap! :blah: That is all.
  40. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

E/L will be the favorites on paper, and I'd love to see them win, but I suspect either Marley/Brubaker or Castelli/Shnapir will win - assuming they all land their SBS jumps, M/B and C/S seem to have the momentum and I imagine TPTB see them as the teams of the future (assuming they don't split over the summer :shuffle:).