Yankowskas and Coughlin Announce End of Partnership

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by babbyrabbit, May 4, 2011.

1. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Ohhh... FUUUUUDGE
    Only I didn't say fudge...
    :fragile:

2. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

OMG! WHY?!
    They were the first US pair I liked in AGES! :fragile:

3. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I wish we'd get an update on Bryce. It'd be nice to know if it's actually possible for him to come back to skating on a high level.

4. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

But she is relatively short with 5 feet 2, so that would work well. (I thought she was a lot taller, she skates really tall!)

5. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

My mother does not get Universal Sports. This conversation occurred regarding worlds:

Me: Y/C got sixth place.
    Mom: That is amazing for one of our pair teams! Wow!
    Me: Isn't it? Maybe they can move up from there.
    Mom: If they actually stay together. They probably won't. U.S. pair teams don't.

She called it.

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  6. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

That was my first thought too, right after :confused:

7. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

If this is true, it is the only possible scenario that makes any sense at all. (or if she wanted to retire). After all, if you don't want to train and compete anymore, then you don't, no matter how great a season you've had or how promising you are.

If they were just splitting and both continuing to skate pairs, this would be very difficult to believe. Unless they simply have "unreconcilable differences" as a pair.

Too bad, though. Their future looked very bright.

8. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

That would be awesome if he could continue his skating (with somone like her)

Both her and Dube are 5'2"

9. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

No! Just crazy.

10. chachacha

chachacha Member

I'm Utterly at a loss for words!

11. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

introducing...and saying goodbye to
    well, they were lovely.
    i hope they move on to great things.

12. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

First it was Castile/Okolski. Then McLaughlin/Brubaker. Now Yankowskas/Coughlin? I'm done getting emotionally invested in US pairs teams. It doesn't ever go well for me.

I wish them well in their futures...but what a great big 'what if' for their future together on the ice. I think we could've seen some true greatness from them.

13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Wth?!! No way!! I remember someone saying they might retire on here a few weeks ago (must have had some sort of insider info) and I didn't believe it.. how sad!! They didn't look unhappy at worlds. I hope he's actually retiring and not looking for another partner. I don't think he's going to have as much success right now with someone else.

14. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

*facepalm*

I swear, being the top pair in the US is like being the drummer for Spinal Tap.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  15. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:eek: Wow, I am super surprised. I am speculating this has to have been mainly a financial decision, which makes it understandable but still sad. However, I am glad John and Caitlyn got to make it to Worlds and skate so well in such a packed field.

16. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a total shock. So sad to see them split, just after finally winning a US championship and being 6th & the top North American team at worlds.

Is John really done with competing!?!? That would be the only thing that would make this split make sense as maybe he's ready to move on to the next chapter in his life.

17. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

What in the world?! They showed so much promise together! :eek: Wow...

18. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

That would be really sad :(

19. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

WTH?!

First US pair I've liked since I/Z. That LP at worlds was gorgeous!

:(

20. ElinorD

ElinorD New Member

Just adding my shock & sadness to the mix. I haven't cared for pairs skating (at all, not just US) in a number of years - But I tuned in to watch them skate. They really had something special.

21. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

This makes NO sense. No wonder we can't get a Worlds-podium team out of the U.S. program.

Damn.

22. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

*SNORT* You owe me a laptop-keyboard cleaning.

THIS is why I don't follow US pairs. There's not point in getting attached anymore. What gives?

23. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

I'm in shock too. I really liked them immensely.
    Hope she gets a new partner very soon.

24. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I don't know about that, you had like a decade to get attached to Inoue&Baldwin. :p

tlk, mag, jamesy and 5 others like this.
  25. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Might be for the best in the long run for Caitlin. She has star quality and i'm not sure John will ever be the partner she needs to get where she wants to go.

26. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'd put my money on money being the major factor. Maybe John figured a US championship and a trip to Worlds was the high note of his career and better to end now. It's soooooooo expensive to be a pairs skater in the US. I wish him well.

I wonder if Smirnov would like to move to the US? Caitlin has that classic Russian look.

27. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

She really does. She looks like Obertas. I hope she finds a :kickass: partner, because she deserves one.

28. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Caitlin is so :glamor:, she needs to find another high-level partner. She's just stunning :swoon: on the ice.

It would be a real shame if this was all about :bribe:. They've finally had the results that will bring them some good funding.

29. floskate

floskate Vacant

Wow that's just awful news. I was only saying in the Worlds pbp thread for pairs LP how much I enjoyed them and jokingly hoped they would stay together, thinking there's no way a pair who debuts top 6 at Worlds in THAT field would split.

:(

30. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wuzrobbed: :wuzrobbed: :wuzrobbed:

*ahem*

I'm totally perplexed as to why he would end the parntership! I loved their skating so much and was really looking forward to seeing them grow. Caitlin is an absolute rockstar, and I hope she can find someone equally as brilliant.

I suppose part of the reason for all of these break ups is the expense? But then why don't U.S. ice dancers have as many break ups? I'm so sad to see this pair part ways, but they have to do what's best for themselves and I hope it all works out.