1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaguchi & Davis/White among Team Kellogg's™ Team USA Athletes for Sochi 2014

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating U.S. Sectionals

Press release: http://newsroom.kelloggcompany.com/...nouncement-of-Team-Kelloggs-Team-USA-Athletes

2. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Read the list. Jimmy Craig is the other co-captain. Wow, Jim Craig!

I almost never use the word "iconic" because that should be reserved for moments that really are - and now it's used to describe just about everything (thank you 24-hour news cycle for that!) but that young man (years ago - 1980) wrapped in the American flag on the ice after the semi-final win against the Russian team in Lake Placid is one of the most iconic American Olympic moments. I remember it like it was yesterday. I think almost everyone who saw it then remembers it like it was yesterday - our country needed that moment at the time (Iran hostage crisis) and those kids (and our hockey team was mostly young, amateurs - Craig, the goalee, was around 22 at the time) came through in a way that still is unforgettable - I'm getting teary again just thinking about it.

Of course it would have been the biggest let-down in the world if they had not won the gold two days later by beating the Finnish team - but they did it again! For those who didn't live through it, it is hard to imagine how riveted the entire country was on that USA/Russia match but we really were! And the USA team was the underdog by far; the Russians, a much more experienced team, were clearly favored to trounce us.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

The Russians did trounce us two weeks earlier. I think the score was 10-2. I'm glad to see all of these folks. This sounds like fun.
  4. Fudove

Fudove Member

Glad to see Davis and White get endorsements. They have been great for so long- Silver in Vancouver and maybe the only lock on a US Team spot in Sochi. Congratulations!
  5. LilJen

LilJen Reaching out with my hand sensitively

Saw this on their Facebook page. I'm sure they'll be eating lots of Froot Loops and PopTarts as a result.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Exactly what their nutritionist would recommend. ;P
  7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Always glad to see skaters get some endorsements and I'm happy for Meryl and Charlie. They've maintained a high level of skating for a long time, and always represent their sport well.