X Factor USA - Season 3

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Sep 20, 2013.

1. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

There doesn't seem to be a thread for this year's show so I'll start one. I really don't like to wade through all the talking & fluff in the audition shows so I've been reading & listening to the recaps on Reality Rocks. I haven't really been impressed with anyone yet until last night's show - until Ashley Williams performed.

This 24yr old sounds a lot like Whitney Houston. She even sang I Will Always Love You, which I normally hate from anyone other than Whitney, but it was emotional & pitch-perfect. The judges & the audience were going crazy but she never lost her poise the entire song. X Factor USA may have actually finally found a commercial success. Some cute boy may win the show but I predict this girl is going to be huge. Her talent is that special IMO.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  3. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Thanks Peter. I thought I was the only one watching this season. ;)

4. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

5. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I'm watching .... mostly for Simon. :EVILLE:

I can't keep track of who the people are until they get down to the finalists so I usually just watch for the, uhm ... entertainment value at this point. For the people that can really sing, its great to watch someone who might otherwise not ever get a chance at any kind of shot at singing in front of people and possibly get some kind of deal out of it.

But I will never understand why people would want to go on national television and humiliate themselves in front of millions (okay, hundreds? :lol:) of people when they can't sing! Especially when that may live for eternity on the internet. Can they really not hear what we hear? And that their parents encourage them to try out for these shows, are they really that deluded by the "my child is perfect and can do anything if they try" syndrome that they let their kids get humiliated that way? I can't sing. I know I can't sing. There's no amount of money in the world that would make me go try out for one of those shows knowing I may be one of those people who get humiliated by the show. So I will never understand the mentality of these people who are such trainwrecks who go on these shows and go into hysterics when told they suck.

6. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

BaileyCatts, I think you are perfect and you could do anything if set your mind to it!

:D

7. BaileyCatts

:rofl: I guess that's the problem!!

8. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

Haven't watched yet but I'm hoping there are some great contestants. Thanks for the links, PeterG :)

9. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

My favourites from last night:

Wesley Mountain - Wanted (skip to 2:40 to miss the intro which is both creepy and charming at the same time...........)

Lorie Moore - I Have Nothing

Timothy Olstad - A Thousand Years

All three of these singers who covered Mary J. Blige are great, but I liked the third (Isaiah Alston) the best (he's at 1:40):

Allison Davis, Isabel Requina, Isaiah Alston - I'm Goin' Down

And this young lady is very talented, but her song choice left me fairly :blah: ...

Celine Polenghi - When You Believe

taf2002 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I'm loving Alex and Sierra as well as Lillie McCloud so much that I think this thread deserves to be bumped up. That, and I've given up on The Voice! :lol: My favourites from last week:

Alex & Sierra - I Heard It Through the Grapevine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMadq2cGvc0

Khaya Cohen - My Girl
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFH7m-S2NJ4

Lillie McCloud - All In Love Is Fair
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIdNFhQd6nw

Alex & Sierra - Give Me Love
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt7lVbIbdSU

Rion Paige - Born This Way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX5YAr0kBEc

Ellona Santiago - Titanium
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBVQa7RWi3k

Restless Road – Easy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYR3gfHVpKw

Rachel Potter – Anyway
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U95gQt0yDfY

Josh Levi – Stay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9uVn3VvJmo

Restless Road - Don't You Wanna Stay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahrH9ogTa24

11. BaileyCatts

Shoot. I completely forgot to tune back in after that long break. :( I had November 13 in my head as it coming back and I didn't even flip to that channel last week. At least it was just the first one and not like the finals. :lol:

I like Restless Road so far. Alex & Sierra I like but sometimes they give me a creepy vibe (they are a little bit too intimate with each other sometimes; its like they are verbally having sex or something :lol: ).

I don't like Rion Paige. She annoys the hell outta me with the way she jerks her head around. The others are just kinda bunched in there until I see them as the show goes on.

12. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Wow - 10 favorites! I thought most of them sucked. I notice Josh is the only guy you liked this week. That was true for me too. I also liked Khaya & Lillie but the rest of the night was boring to me. When are they going to have the results show?

13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

These picks were from the Wednesday and Thursday show, the latter of which would have been the results show, but because of voting glitches, they decided that everybody would sing their "save me" song. Which made for a very fast-paced show...which was actually great! Instead of mindless jabbering of the judges, we just got to listen to people sing. It was great! So with 13 people all singing twice, I picked ten favourites from the 26 performances. :)

I often use mjsbigblog to catch up on reality/competition show I miss. There's comments about all the performances and youtube links so you can see what you missed. :)

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  14. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I wonder why they didn't just re-air Wednesday's performance show instead sans the fluff and bs with the correct numbers? I remember the same glitch happened on Idol and that's what they did for the results show.

Yeah, it was refreshing watching all 13 performances without the fluff and bs. They should do that every week. It would make it much less painful to watch.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  15. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Maybe they realized the Weds performances were crap and those performances should've never made it out of the "idea" stage. At least this week was significantly better, even if half of them were still pretty awful...

16. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm DVRing this and only watch if someone here mentions a particularly good performance. I haven't watched in weeks.

17. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Who was your favorite last night, poll from Mjsbigblog-

Alex & Sierra 105 votes
    Josh Levi 41
    Khaya Cohen 35
    Ellona Santiago 33
    Jeff Gutt 19
    Rachel Potter 18
    Restless Road 15
    Sweet Suspense 11
    Lillie McCloud 9
    Rion Page 5
    Tim Olstad 5
    Carlito Olivero 1

18. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

The song choices were mostly horrible & the staging was distracting & OTT so it was hard to watch most of the performances without FF thru them. I liked Josh, Khaya, Sweet Suspense, & Carlito the most. I hate it that 2 of the people I liked had the stupid look of turning their ball cap around. Josh even had his turned halfway around with the bill sticking out to the side. But he's a kid so I sort of gave him a pass. I don't know what Carlito's excuse was.

I liked Lillie's & Ellona's voices but not their songs & I didn't think they did as well as usual.

Jeff & Rachel came off as trying too hard. Rachel always has a look of desperation on her face. And that scream brought back the PTSS from Danny Gokey's Dream On.

IMO Sierra should not sing solo, especially lead off the song. Her voice is not nearly as strong as Alex's. (His voice is fabulous - he should have tried out as a solo act.) I really didn't like the arrangement last night.

For all the praise, I think Restless Road is pretty mediocre & I don't see any improvement.

Tim & Rion have good voices but no star power. Tim also has the handicap of always picking the most boring songs.

19. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

ita that alex by himself is a good singer. alex and sierra as a couple are a twee artsy group that opens a local hemp festival. they make every song sound exactly the same.

20. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

My rankings for last night:

Lillie McCloud - Ain't Nobody - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK_8z-L9Nto
    The class of the field. :respec:

Carlito Olivero - Rhythm Is Gonna Get You - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCLskYyAHDE
    What's up with the negativity from the judges?? This was his best vocal so far, and his dancing was amazing. And he definitely has the X-Factor

Ellona Santiago - I Wanna Dance With Somebody - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu0wxmiB2s8
    Ellona is always a lot of fun. Not a perfect vocal, but always entertaining.

Khaya Cohen - Borderline - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxTFvdMDXDU
    The first half was great, but when she let loose by flirting with the judges, she seemed to lose the melody and then couldn't get it back. :( But she's a real talent, she made me think of Amy Winehouse with her vocal.

Josh Levi - Straight Up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVIk...ew-vl&list=PLbwFu5MkedP9X87p8UPPTfTNrvjKa8uLf

Restless Road - Footloose - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHT70KBC-wU
    Decent vocals, but they sound like they could have used a bit more rehearsal time to gel

Alex and Sierra - Addicted to Love - A rare fail on this duo's part

Sweet Suspense - Mickey - Not bad, just not great either. Not a song that requires any special vocal ability, so a strange choice...

Tim Olstad - Againist All Odds - Tim was better than most I've ranked above him, but he's a boring personality singing boring material. :yawn:

Rachel Potter - Alone - Limited singers should never choose songs by singers who are FAR superior. Especially power ballads which always separate the girls from the women.

Jeff Gutt - I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight - Jeff was not horrible, but I just don't get what anybody sees in him. He's like Tim Olstad Sr.

Rion Page - We Belong - This should have been great. But her vocal kept falling off the melody. Very strange as she usually nails it! :(

21. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

oh no one of my fav's Khaya is in the bottom.. she just sang for her life though and was amazing..

22. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I wonder why they changed their minds on revealing the rank in order which they mentioned last Wednesday.
    I have never heard of that song by 5th Harmony on the radio. Let's see how long their fame would last.
    So far my fave contestant is Alex/Sierra. They don't have the best vocals, but they put an interesting twist to the songs. It doesn't hurt that they are a cute couple.

Lillie has the best voice, but boring performer. Rion and Khaya probably are the most balanced singers.

23. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I hope Carlito is the next to go, I find him painfully boring to watch. It's like bad karaoke.

24. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

More boring than Tim? Not possible.

25. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

True. Although I find Tim more likeable.

26. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Rachel is a friend of a friend. Sad to see her go. Looked like she knew that this was the end of her dream.

27. BaileyCatts

Maybe its because 'Mickey' is one of my favorite guilty pleasure songs, but I thought Sweet Suspense was great! They were fun and charming and I thought they sang it great. Can't believe they were the first to go. Especially over Tim, who has no personality and sang one of my most hated songs ever. ;) How was he not in the bottom 2?

She may sing well, but I really don't like Rion. Watching her perform is like watching a choreographed routine in which I know a full second ahead of time exactly what movement she is going to make. 5-6-7-8 jerk your head, pick up your foot, shake your shoulders raise your arms, jerk your head, pick up your foot pick up your foot, shake your shoulders ffrreezzee. I knew exactly what she was going before she did it. It was very forced and unnatural to me. So annoying to watch!

I didn't really like Lillie that much before, but love her last night. Can't believe Khaya was in the bottom either. I hope Restless Road improves a little. I really like them but they are kind of middle of the pack right now I think.

28. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I liked the individual girls of Sweet Suspense but they never gelled for me. I liked "Mickey" but that was probably because the rest of the night sucked so bad. I agreed with Demi that they "ain't no Fifth Harmony" (although that comment was really mean). I really like FH.

29. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

My rankings for this week:

Alex and Sierra - Best Song Ever - I don't know why the judges keep harping on Sierra when others in this competition make major errors (sorry Khaya) and if Sierra has any problems, they're very minor. :mad:

Lillie McCloud - This Woman's Worth - Lillie is a better vocalist than Alex and Sierra, but I just wanted a bigger moment with this song. I think maybe she played it a little too safe? (Unlike Khaya, who stumbled her way out of the competition...) So maybe Lillie was smart to play it safe then. :lol:

Carlito Olivero - Satisfaction - He definitely has The X-Factor.

Timothy Olstad - Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word - Tim really kicked up a notch this week, this was his best vocal ever. Still, he chose an uber-predictable, not to mention boring, song to sing. Bye, Tim! :(

Ellona Santiago - Burn - Not a perfect vocal, but good enough. :)

Jeff Gutt - Bohemian Rhapsody - Was it just me or did Jeff have major help from the backup vocalists during the hard parts? He was good, not sure if he needed them?

Josh Levi - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Josh is only this low because of the arrangement of the song. It was interesting and I kind of liked it, but kind of didn't like it at the same time. Too drastic a change from the original.

Restless Road - Fix You - Decent enough. They've got some harmonies happening, which is pretty good considering they're new to singing with one another. Weird that one guy got singled out for his lack of stage presence when the other one has only one facial expression: deer caught in the headlights... :lol: Colton really carries the group, both presence-wise and vocally.

Rion Paige - Your Song - The judges loved this, but I thought it was rather a mess. :fragile:

Khaya Cohen - Let It Be - Tried way too hard, so too many errors. AWFUL song choice as well...why didn't Demi have her do Amy Winehouse or Duffy or Estelle, etc.???

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

alex and sierra remind me of an updated starland vocal band