X factor USA Season 2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by tarotx, Sep 13, 2012.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

2. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

IMO, Carly and Tate were both extremely lame last night, Leann Rimes sounded like garbage and should never sing again, and 5th Harmony by far was my favorite act and sounded pretty good.

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

leann is more focused on fighting on twitter than anything career related, she sounded awful

4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Consensus of the recappers is that no one cares who will win. I'm guessing X-Factor is done after this season.

5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I have only gotten through Carly's third song so I haven't heard Tate and 5th H's last number. I think they were all just fine. But I don't care who wins because thus far, the X Factor finalists last year and the Voice finalists haven't really gone anywhere.

I think Carly is unusually talented, just needs to mature. She knows how to work a song and is learning how not to overwork a song, She finds unique things to emphasize. And she's pretty. I think she will do well on Broadway if not as a pop star.

Yes, you could hear how much richer Leann Rimes voice was, but she was practically chewing on that song. Way oversung. And wasn't she 13 wor 14 like Carly hen she came out with that song?

Tate might be the most "ready" to win because he sounds like a lot of the country singers out there, but then again, he sounds like a lot of the country singers out there. Not really unique or that memorable. But good.

Fifth Harmony really does need to learn to harmonize. They all have good voices and a marketable look. Not sure that will get them anywhere. They will need a really good catchy song.

Haven't they already renewed it for next season? They've announced the auditions. I guess they could just cancel them or just not air the show even if they start the auditions.

6. my little pony

the sitting backup dancers behind tate, playing some sort of patty cake, are awful and sort of fascinating

wait they just stood and sort of mooned everyone

7. my little pony

was that a half dozen dwarves dancing behind carly?

8. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Pitbull looks like a combination heroine addict going through withdrawl with all those shakes and an old man in Miami with those pants pulled up to his chest

9. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I predict Tate Stevens will outsell Buddy Jewell.

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  10. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I actually wanted 5th Harmony to win but ABC* so I'm happy with Tate.

* anybody but Carly

11. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

I'm very happy that Tate won. I honestly can't say that I thought he was better than Carly Rose ... or ... that Carly Rose was better than Tate. For me, it was like comparing an excellent orange with an excellent apple because their music styles are so different. They are both excellent at what they do and I'm sure both will have successful careers. But, I gotta admit, for some reason, Tate just stole a little piece of my heart in this competition and I ended up rooting for him to win. HUGE congrats to them both .... great job, guys!

12. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Tate is probably the easiest to try to market, so I'm sure Simon is happy (uhm, if it's his production company that they sign to that is). But I liked Tate so I'm glad he won.

13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Would you say they will have as successful a career as Josh Krajcik, but not quite the success of Melanie Amaro?

14. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

I think both Tate and Carly are way more marketable. Even if Tate isn't a huge success, I would still bet he would have enough moderate success to keep him from going back to his day job. The country fans clearly support him, and with the right packaging he'll do well.

Carly is a little bit more of a question mark because she's so young, but she always has musical theater to fall back on, which if she played her cards right, she could make a comfortable living doing, since she was headed down that path already.

15. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

Leann and her team really need to get a grip on things.

16. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Rob said of Carly "She knows how to work a song and is learning how not to overwork a song." I really disagree with this. I liked her at first but she got to where every song had too many runs & she would put strange emphasis on some words. And she did an awful lot of posing. It was starting to make me sick. I just wanted to say "get over yourself". I also didn't like her song choices, they were all so serious. She is 13 not 43. I don't buy that kind of song.

I liked Tate & I thought he has a really good voice but I'm not really a country fan. I thought he would have a decent career without the win but I'm happy for him.

But I really warmed up to 5th Harmony. My favorite performance of the season was the one of Demi's song. I didn't get to see when they sang it with Demi because my DVR cut out. I also liked the tea party one. With the right management & some good songs, they could be a hit.

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

That was so bizarre! Were they kids?

18. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

Wow ... negative much? Would you feel better if I said I HOPE they both will have successful careers? Because I do.

19. my little pony

oh you have a much more logical mind than i do, that never occurred to me

20. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

The results are much better than the Voice, which was a major disappointment, considering I enjoy watching the Voice more than X-Factor.

21. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I don't think it's negative or positive, just factual. No talent show other than American Idol has given any contestant any kind of career of note. As others have said in the threads for these shows, they make money off of the TV advertsing and don't seem to care much about whether the contestants have any kind of success in their music careers. It will be interesting to see if people keep watching the voice when the biggest success anyone on the show has is a single that hits #98 on the Hot 100 and falls off the chart the following week. (And their album doesn't even sell well enough to crack the Top 200 chart...) :(

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. masofs

masofs New Member

X factor UK has given some careers... One Direction, Leona Lewis and Cher Lloyd, for example.

23. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I have never heard of Cher Lloyd. AFAIK Leona Lewis has had one hit - Bleeding Love. I don't know if she can sustain any kind of popularity. But one thing these shows do is give these musical acts a chance they may not have otherwise had. What they do with that chance is up to them but at least they get heard on a national & international stage.

24. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I'm not ashamed to admit I watch The Voice for the judges and because I think the format is interesting. The competing talent is merely a bonus. :shuffle:

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

This ^^^^^^^

26. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

same here ;)

27. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Same here.

Wasn't Miranda Lambert on Nashville Star? I'd say she has a career. I think there are a couple of others from that show who have done fairly well in the country market.

Cher Lloyd just had her breakthrough single in the US this summer so it remains to be seen how long a career she will have, but she currently does have a career in music. Her single sold over 2,000,000 copies. She's been popular for a couple of years in the UK.

One Direction definitely has a career in music, they are huge right now. But for how long? Dunno. Jonas Bros. have lasted a lot longer than I thought they would.

Leona Lewis only had the one hit in the US, but she's had nine top 10 hits in the UK.

And Susan Boyle is still milking her Britain's Got Talent success.

ETA Leona Lewis also did one of the songs from Avatar that was nominated for an Oscar.

28. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Other than American Idol, how many significant singing competition shows has the US had until The Voice? Nashville Star and Rock Star are the main ones. The revival of Star Search and America's Got Talent have singers, but they really are not singing competitions in the same vein and don't really promote careers in the same way.

Doing a Wikipedia search, Nashville Star produced one very significant star - Miranda Lambert. The Season Four winner, Chris Young, has been nominated for a Grammy and CMA awards and won some other country awards. He also has had five number one singles in 2010 and 2011. And the Season One winner, Buddy Jewell, had his first album go gold and was No. 1 on the country chart (13 on the top 200 album chart). His second hit No. 5 on the country chart (No. 31 top 200). That seems like a pretty decent track record.

Rock Star is hard to judge because it was designed to find a lead singer for a band. But INXS's post-Rock Star:INXS album with J.D. Fortune sold decently and the Supernova album sold okay. Neither was a big success, but they didn't tank.

As for The Voice and X-Factor, they have not rushed albums out to capitalize on the singers' wins. Part of the problem, imo, is that they use iTunes during the show, so there already are a number of songs from the singer available. Consequently, there is not the same demand for an album. That is different than in the early years of American Idol when, maybe, there would be one single available from a compilation album. In many ways, I think the show's ability to profit from the performances during the season undercuts the long-term success of the artist after the series.

29. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

And outside of singing, Terry Fator from AGT has been playing Vegas for years - he reportedly got a $100 million dollar long term contract. Jackie Evancho is still making a lot of appearances and recording.

The Jabbawockeez from America's Best Dance Crew have had a Vegas show for a couple of years too.

And a lot of the SYTYCD kids are working dancers.

30. masofs

masofs New Member

So happy that Terry is doing that well. He is brilliant.