X factor USA Season 2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by tarotx, Sep 13, 2012.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/x-factor-...al-song-choices-simon-loves-needling-demi.htm

"And both acts were persuaded into performing songs they weren’t entirely comfortable with on the top 12 performance show. Garcia preferred the idea of Alanis Morissette’s iconic rocker “You Oughta Know” instead of Tina Turner’s “Proud Mary” and Lyric 145 wanted to transform Aretha Franklin’s “Respect” into a hip-hop anthem instead of performing the mashup of Katy Perry’s “E.T.” and Queen’s “We Will Rock You.”"

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm going to miss Lyric 145, but I suspect that someone will pick them up. They're just likeable!

3. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Britney's girls have no power in the lower registers. The songs she chooses have too much vocal range or they are just boring. Carly and Diamond pull it out at the end with the big notes. But Arin has been almost at the bottom for 2 weeks now, and Beatrice not far above him.

I can't believe CeCe was 5th - she was dreadful. But Demi totally blew it with Jennel. Lyric 145 was one of the only acts I liked and I am not that into rap or hip hop. Too bad they didn't get to sing the songs they wanted.

I thought Fifth Harmony was really good till the end, then they went all kinds of off key.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think Britney's girls have no power in their lower register because she has the young group. Girls tend to develop a stronger lower register as they age and that often doesn't even really start to show much progress until well into the 20's I would say, if not later.

5. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I would put Cat Deeley in the same category as Christina although I admit Khloe is worse than either of them. Cat makes me want to barf.

6. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

The sing-offs are much better than the actual performances because the mentors don't know how to pick the right songs for them. Demi is trying to make Paige and CeCe into dance popsters which they are not. Paige, Cece's, and Jennel's sing offs showcased the strength in their vocals, unlike the their performances which emphasized on choreography, not voice. The choreography for all their perfomances are cheesy and overproduced which doesn't help them.

In all of the singing competitions, it seems that for all the ones that make it on the live shows, the auditions are their best performances because it is so organic and stripped down, not laden with all these superfluous additives.

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'd love to get cat on another show. kloe's loud and stupid, mario's kind of douchey when they eliminate the people. i even prefer that guy from last season to them.

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

That is exactly why I think she isn't picking good songs for them.

9. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I agree. When CeCe did "I Will Always Love You", she knocked it out of the park. Some of her competition performances make me wonder if she's the same person. But that's true for most of them. Most of this top group are not doing well vocally, Fifth Harmony being the exception and maybe Diamond White. Plus I think the performers are being pushed really hard to be too much of everything. Subtlety could win somebody this whole thing if they were brave enough to go against their mentors. "Landslide" is not a power ballad! :lol:

10. my little pony

i dont think britney is really allowed to pick her teams' songs. she isnt even allowed to hold her own money.

11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm just watching last night's episode. :lol: that after Emblem 3 performed and Mario is talking to the group, musclehead keeps trying to talk, but can't be heard. I doubt his microphone was turned on during his performance either. :rofl:

12. my little pony

who keeps dressing bea like a newsy from the post apocalypse?

cece really cant sing any of these songs they pick for her. she sounded a lot better when she was a honey badger.

13. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

The football game went over time so my tape cut off before the show ended. I don't know who the judges sent home.

14. my little pony

arin and bea

15. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Poor kid...I saw she & Cece were in the bottom but she started crying before they ever called her name and she was crying when she started her song. Which judges picked her to go home?

16. my little pony

demi and LA picked bea to go home, britney picked cece. simon said that cece has been in the bottom a lot but this seemed to be very hard on bea and it wasnt her time or she wasnt ready and he sent her home.

17. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Maybe Cece will go for good next week. I would like her to take Emblem 3 with her.

18. puglover

puglover Active Member

How can Cece still be there? I have given up on so many of these shows - they are not really looking for talent - just entertainment. Either that or I really, really need to have my hearing checked.

19. haribobo

Well this one is called the X factor so they are allowed to look for some entertaining people. I don't think its possible to make an argument that Cece should've gone home over Bea or Arin. All 3 were pretty much tanking every week. Lyric or Jason, however, yes, should have outlasted Cece. Its not like she will be around much longer so I don't really get too excited either way. Every season there is a lightning rod of sorts who escapes eviction despite bad performances and hatred- they kind of set up Cece to play this role since the beginning just as they did with Rylan from xf uk. This villain contestant always makes it quite a ways before finally getting the ax. Once you know the formula it becomes much less frustrating to witness. The funny thing is- I think cece actually does have potential to do some pretty cool performances, but instead she is consistently saddled with big diva ballads and themes that call for them. That really isn't her ticket to the big leagues, her voice can't handle them, and I wish Demi or whoever picks her songs would figure that out.

20. my little pony

they should have let her stay a villain then. she sang better when she was overbearing. now she's a weepy underachiever who will soon be back to selling stamps.

21. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Is there really someone called Diamond White on this show? That's the brand name of the tramps choice of cheapest nastiest cider in the UK :rofl:

22. puglover

puglover Active Member

I do think there is something cool about Cece and she could go places. I liked her way better before they changed her to a bleached blonde and I thought she was okay as sort of the "tough" chick. I doubt she sings any worse then a lot of the pop stars of today - I just feel that now I have heard her sing live - the cat is kind of out of the bag as far as her vocals go.

23. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

The only act that does not go off-key on a regular basis is Fifth Harmony. Everybody else has pitch problems. CeCe has been doing big ballads that show errors more clearly than the songs that most everyone else does. The only act that might have a career once this show ends is Emblem 3. And that is because they are cute and they are male. Their success will have nothing to do with talent.

24. haribobo

All false statements, IMO. Vino and Carly have good pitch. 5th harmony varies between good and totally mediocre, so their good pitch doesn't much matter if their songs suck. Emblem 3 are cute and male, but so are a lot of guys who have never gone anywhere. They were smart to get themselves in such good shape because yes, looks matter, but they aren't without talent. I enjoy most of their performances to some degree because they have an interesting sound and great energy and a sense of fun, which I haven't felt with several of the hot boy bands of XF UK and Aussie- so for me its not all about the looks. But the looks do help.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. masofs

masofs New Member

ITA.

IMO, Carly will be the winner and I think she could have a good career (she already has one on Broadway). She has a great voice, a good control and is very mature for her age.

26. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Once I nail my audition and make it on to the X-Factor, during Thanksgiving week I will be thankful for BabyJesus and I will sing "God Bless America". I will dedicate my performance to all the missionaries who are trying to bring truth and faith to all the non-believers/Paganists on the planet.

taf2002 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Actually I mostly agree with this. I think 5th Harmony stays on pitch more often than anyone else. Vino has a powerful voice but for some reason, the first few stanzas of every song are draggy & frankly pretty bad & then he ends well. Plus I can't stand to look at him. What's with the hideous cap all the time? Is his head cold? And is his hair made of magic marker or tattoo? Either way it looks gross. Carly can't hit low notes & it seems that every song has a portion that she can't do. But I do think she has more of a chance making a career on Broadway than in the pop music field. She isn't current enough.

28. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Anyone watch last night? Any performances worth a listen, or is this another week of fast forwarding?

29. my little pony

i thought carly and that girl group sounded best. oh and the country singer if you like that sort of thing. i have to say that overall, there was a lot less production covering all the voices.

30. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Diamond White went 1st. She looked great & I think it was probably her best - "I Want To Dance With Somebody".

Vino was pretty bad & got some bad reviews - "You Lost That Lovin' Feeling".

Paige was next & it was also her best, 1st time she wasn't overproduced - I think she sang "Never Gonna Give You Up".

Fifth Harmony - I liked it but they got mixed reviews - "Stronger" - one of the girl's grandfather died & she was a mess but did ok in the song.

Carly Rose - "Rolling in the Deep" - I'm so sick of this song that I can't critique this...LA said not her best, Simon raved.

Tate - good as always, he did some dancing which was pretty bad - "I Want To Love Somebody"

Cece - "Lady Marmelade" - overproduced, cutesy, candy pink dreck but she sounded a little better, Simon said pack your bags. (She had stuff stuck to her face again.)

Emblem 3 - the judges fought over this, LA liked it, Demi thought it was a mess, Simon said they were pop stars - "I'm a Believer" - the arrangement was identical to the Monkees but unfortunately the singing wasn't as good.