X factor USA Season 2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by tarotx, Sep 13, 2012.

1. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

2. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Youtube views

Carly 90K
    5th Harmony 76K
    Emblem3 71K
    Beatrice 64K
    Diamond 64K
    Cece 64K
    Jennel 64K
    Paige 56K
    Lyric 49K
    Arin 48K
    Vino 43K
    Jason 35K
    Tate 26K

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

female host is so loud i wonder if she has a hearing problem

zomg lea michele! she's probably saying to herself, no competition here

4. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I wonder if they set up ahead of time for the Judges to be a vote split so we would go to the audience vote. Why bother with the Judges picking from the bottom 2 then, just go with the lowest vote getter each time and don't waste 10 minutes like they did tonight. Jason was way better in his solo than CeCe was so I wish Simon woulda went with Jason, and based on how much time was left in the show when they went to the Judges votes, you knew it was going to be a split vote. Although I'm glad that means CeCe finished 12th, so clearly I'm not the only one who doesn't like her, and I don't even call in votes.

Very surprised that Beatrice was so low in the standings. I would have had her Top 5 at a minimum. I'm guessing Simon will be doing some revamping on Emblem 3 as I was surprised they were so low also, based on my thinking its mostly young teen girls who do most of the voting on this show. I'm okay with Tate being #1 tonight. I thought he was good and I love that song.

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I think Beatrice needs to dig herself out of the hole from her song choice and staging last week. She didn't get much better this week, and it showed in the votes. As for E3, half of America didn't see them last week when they were good (TiVo and Comcast didn't have a 90 minute show in their recording schedules), and only saw them this week when they were cringe-worthy off tune.

6. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

To me Emblem 3 seems like 3 cute boys cavorting onstage saying look at us, we're cute, it doesn't matter that we're hokey as hell or that we sounded awful.

I think Beatrice & Carly Rose both need better song choices & staging. I thought Carly's song was terribly age inappropriate, but it obviously didn't hurt her with most voters. It did affect me - I didn't vote for her. Beatrice's choice was just boring.

I feel bad for Jason, but he's a grown man. He should have said NO to those awful clothes & that bad song choice. The judges are taking all the natural charm out of most of the contestants. (I hope Jennel listens to Simon - there's still hope for her if she does.) L.A. pretty much left Tate alone which is probably why he was #1.

7. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Like Cece, Emblem 3 have talent, but are not very diverse and if the song choice isn't right, their performance becomes crap. Actually, this describes a lot of people this season for me. Vino sounded amazing in his audition and judges' house round and this week too, but his song choice last week was a disaster. Basically every contestant has had a great moment and some majorly underwhelming ones (well, besides Arin who I just find kinda pretty good all the time).

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I didn't watch Wednesday so I didn't realize they brought Diamond back. Glad they did, but how did they make that decision? I thought maybe Simon would change the rules and steal her for his girl group.

Couldn't really tell from the clips who was good and who wasn't, but it seemed like Vino, Tate, and Diamond were good. And Lyric 145 looked entertaining again. Couldn't really tell what Carly was singing, but her voice sounded good. I thought the tweens would vote Emblem 3 higher.

I don't think I like the Jennel makeover either. Give her back her own haircolor and just rock her up. CeCe's hair looks like they dumped flour on her head and covered it with cake frosting.

Agreed that CeCe outdid Jason, but neither has the X Factor for me.

9. my little pony

cece has sounded absolutely awful since they dyed her hair and took away her sharpie. apparently, she needs them.

10. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Anybody else think that they revealed the placements of the thirteen acts because when the producers saw that list, they thought, "WTF???" There is no way that Tate, Carly or Vino will have any kind of career after this show ends...we gotta let people know how low the commercial acts have placed so that these acts get more votes in the future! Mind you, it's not like Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene or Marcus Canty from last year will have big careers. Josh has yet to release anything and Chris and Marcus have already released albums. But you all knew that, right? Right? :p But I have to say I hope that Melanie Amaro has some success. Her debut album is to be released before year-end.

11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

^This. It was producer manipulation, plain and simple. IIRC, The Voice has killed them on the two occasions they went head to head. Problem is, the target audience is watching less live TV. By the time the teens and tweens see the show, voting is closed. What Simon is left with are a few families with tweens and a sizable group of over 50s.

12. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

But do the majority of singers from talent shows attain wide-spread success anyway? There's Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert, & to a lesser degree, Kellie Pickler. Then there are the ones who have some minimal success & then either die out & or have a small career playing state fairs & small venues which IS a career & may make them happy just because they can support themselves with music, but is not really a big career. Unfortunately, I don't see Cece having even a small career in music...she has a pleasant voice but she doesn't seem to have any idea who she is musically, otherwise she wouldn't let Demi change everything about her & give her the wrong songs.

I think you may be wrong about Tate. I think it is possible for him to earn at least as much singing as he did asphalting streets. But I do think you're right about Carly & Vino. Vino's looks will probably work against him, & I've said before I think Carly should have waited a few years. She seems too immature right now for an adult career, which is fine because she's a child.

I think Diamond is a cute, likable girl, but I didn't see any reason to bring her back. I don't think she's good enough to be a teen star. Maybe I think that because every song she sings is a cover, & it's usually a cover of someone like Whitney that she can't quite do.

13. my little pony

last yr, simon fake canned melanie then brought her back. i think simon thinks this generates free publicity or something. if they didnt bring back diamond, it would have been someone else.

14. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Maybe the limit on the number of votes online prevents the tweens from mass voting. I think it's 50 per user ID.

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Who else votes? ;)

16. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I don't vote.

I really like lyric... and I am not into that music at all. I also kind of like Cece too

17. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I normally hate rap but I love Lyric 145. But now it needs to stop being about the costuming & the staging & start being about the song choice, kind of like when they first got together.

18. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

When they first got put together they were really great. I thought using the Mary Poppins song (I am so noooot spelling it out- lol!) was really unique and it worked for me. I like different. IMHO they really stand out for that reason.

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Everyone sounds off key. And boring. Except Lyric 145. Britney makes awful choices for her kids.

20. my little pony

everyone's so overproduced. the backup singers were so loud on the cowboy's song it sounded like a duet in parts. they would really benefit from an unplugged week.

21. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Fifth Harmony & Lyric 5 are the only one that I really enjoyed. I would rank Tate & Vino next. Carly sounded amazing but that song makes me barf. There were several who were just ok like Beatrice. Arin was boring & Cece was horrendous. So was Paige & Emblem 3.

22. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Carly didn't sound all that good in the early part of the song, but I wonder whether it sounded a lot different in the room. She also had a few pitchy moments -- I wonder if the in-ear-monitors are as badly balanced as the rest of the sound and lighting for this show. She doesn't normally go off pitch so much.

(And what kind of lighting director & set designer puts a girl in a red sparkly dress in front of a pulsting red background with red lighting? I feel sorry for Paige. Tate luckily escaped the incompetent staging, and I wish more would do the same.)

23. my little pony

paige looked like the cutest girl in sgt pepper's lonely hearts club band

24. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Well it was a duet originally so that could have been intentional.

25. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Carly sang the song better than Sylvia from the 'Voice'.

26. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I think she's got it mostly right with Arin Ray, Diamond and Carly. Beatrice is a whole other matter IMO. She goes out week after week with zero confidence in her ability or the song choice. All the other 13 year olds + Arin Ray are going out there seemingly without a care in the world, and she's singing like she's got the world on her shoulders. The background on her home life shed some light on that and I would agree with her that it is a lot for a 13 year old to carry. :(

Count me in as another who enjoys Lyric 145. Having said that, I think Fifth Harmony, Carly Rose and possibly Tate Stevens are going to be battling it out for the top spot.

27. BaileyCatts

At least CeCe's dress was nice and she looked good with her hair toned down. A little consolation for getting booted tomorrow night I guess. :EVILLE:

Arin will probably go as well. I can't even remember how the rest did. I don't think anyone was particularly outstanding, but Carly and Tate will probably be 1-2 again.

28. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Fast forwarded through the whole show last night. The only performances viewed in their entirety were Vino's and Lyric's. Did rewind to see the 2nd half of Carly's to see if she hit and she did, unfortunately her lower register isn't all that secure. CeCe seemed to be better this week than last, Arin worse. Still see them as B2.

29. BaileyCatts

Well I guess I didn't get that call right. :shuffle: But come on, CeCe was horrendous last night. How could she have come in 5th?! Arin wasn't that great either. Paige and Jannel definitely were not the worst of the night. And if Demi didn't want to make that call, she should have just picked Paige and let it go to viewer vote.

Poor Mario. I bet Simon is going to mess with him like that the entire season. He's done that both vote out shows so far. Good thing Mario can think fast on his feet. He's pretty good at hosting and keeping the show going but good gawd please get rid of Khole!!

30. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for Jennel -- the songs that were picked for her were not generally at all good. Actually, the song choices are pretty awful from all the coaches -- and it sounds like the producers are picking a lot of the songs, very late in the game -- wasn't it mentioned that one of the groups only got their song at midnight the night before? Why?

I don't see any intrinsic reason why The Voice more often has good song choices, clearer audio, way better lighting, and infinitely better costuming/staging -- but if I were a singer and had a choice between the two shows, I think I'd much rather head to The Voice where I have at least a chance of selecting a coach, and a much better chance of getting some songs I could actually deliver well. (I wonder what Jason's time on X Factor would have been like had Simon been his mentor? Though, since the producers seem to be stirring the pot with song choices, maybe it wouldn't have mattered.)

Khloe is still awful. Frankly, I'd like to lock her and The Voice's Christina Millian (?) in the Sprint Skybox and launch them both into space. Cat Deeley puts all of the X Factor and The Voice hosts to shame.