X factor USA Season 2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by tarotx, Sep 13, 2012.

1. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Anyone else Watching?

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

they spend a lot of time doing not so much, only one audition so far

i wouldnt have turned my chair for girl #1's voice alone but she was really cute

3. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

That's probably why Page didn't go to The Voice (though maybe she did and didn't make it past the producers...) She won't get by with just her voice. Maybe they think she might be good in a good group.

4. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Even though I vowed I wouldn't watch again after last season's horrible run, I just love snarky Simon so will tune in again and hope for much better production, and TALENT, this year. Tonight was okay. Loved how they played up the blonde bytch thinking she had so much talent, and you just knew come sing time she would suck big time. heh heh heh, I love it when they do that stuff to people like that. :EVILLE: The trio of the 3 boys was catchy and will definitely get the heartthrob vote (and again loved how they played up the "I was in a boy band and toured all over Europe" dude who sucked). What I never get is how the people who are really REALLY bad are the ones who throw the most outrageous tantrums. De Nile ain't just a river in Egypt and I can't believe how people act knowing that this is gonna like .. be on television in front of millions of viewers! First, I don't see how their friends and family don't just flat out tell them "you can't sing don't embarrass yourself!", but then to act the way they do .... I'll never understand wanting to be on TV so bad you would want to humiliate yourself like that forever (YouTube never dies).

:EVILLE:

5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I heard Demi Lavato "sang" live on the Today show. Ugh. She and Britney Spears are going to be judging other singers? :scream:

6. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I've never understood this type of criticism. I'm not a fan of either of these girls, but why shouldn't they judge? It's not a competition to find the best singer. It's a competition to find a star performer. The two don't go necessarily go hand in hand. I can look back on any decade and point out many popular performers that have questionable singing skills. I can also find many talented singers that have had marginal success because they weren't necessarily great performers.

For the record, I ended up sticking with The Voice. I flipped back and forth for a while, but I was drawn more to The Voice. Not sure if there's a real difference between the shows, but for me there is. What, I don't know.

7. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Well, I don't think they're on the same nights starting next week, but I'm planning on watching The Voice live and DVRing X Factor for fast forward viewing over the weekend. I don't want to sit through the bad auditions.

8. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I watched my DVR copy & I'm confused. I saw young skinny guy sing 1st & Simon told him he was terrible & he got 4 noes. Then crying girl came on & they took 30 mins with her backstory (which I thought was made up - she wasn't fat, she wasn't ugly, she apparently has lots of friends, what was there to bully her about?), then she sang (just ok), then she cried some more, then they gushed over her & gave her 4 yeses. Then they showed people who had gotten through but didn't actually let us hear their voices. Then the 2 hours were up. That was the worst audition show I've ever seen. This was my 1st time of watching. It will probably be my last.

9. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

I only saw a little part of the show, but I feel like Emblem 3 are trying to pitch themselves as the Avril Lavigne to One Direction's Britney Spears circa 2002. :shuffle: So silly. Candygirl man and Britney's old duet partner were also painful to watch. :scream:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. my little pony

that chubby illegitimate son of liza minnelli and liberace made my night

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I watched my tape. I liked Page and the Ooh la la girl.

Candygirl man started out weird and went totally perv the minute he started describing his song. I understand why Britney would feel uncomfortable with him looking at her nevermind his singing.

I wonder what happened to the guy who used to record with her. If he ever had a good voice, he ruined it somehow.

The mini-bieber was forcing his voice way too much. And I hate age inappropriate songs. He's 13, he looks like he's 9, don't sing about love and sex.

I thought it was quite amazing that the bullied girl could sing at all while so emotional. She's not the winner type though.

12. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

So far the 13yr. old jazz girl is the best. This show is worse than Idol. The conversation between the selected contestants and their family/friends backstage looks very scripted to the point that it looks so fake. The talent pool is not very deep. Wouldn't it be weird if the over 30's group (if it exists this season) or older contestants were mentored by Demi Lovato?

It also seems that the focus is on the younger demographics. I don't see too many older contestants going through so far. Either that or not many older contestants are trying out after seeing last season.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  13. halffull

halffull halffull kind of day

That young girl was amazing ... hope they find a lot more talent this week :)

14. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

She has talent but I thought there was a lot wrong with her audition. For one thing, you don't belt out a Nina Simone song - it's ridiculous. There was absolutely no soul in her rendition. And she sounded really untrained to me.

15. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Carly is decidedly not untrained. More like a plant. She's a New York theater kid.
    http://carlysonenclar.com/

To me it seems like they are probably only showing the good contestants that will be highlighted in Bootcamp or maybe even the ones that made it out of Bootcamp.

They are showing too many bad ones making it seem like the talent pool was dead this season. I personally watched/listened to a lot of the video/audio and there was a lot of talent and potential stars. Thank god only 2 more weeks of auditions and then this show got better last season and depending on how much of a reality tv aspect they show, it should get better this season. There was a lot of talent at Bootcamp.

16. halffull

I think I was impressed with Carly because no one else they've shown has been very good. Some not bad, she just stood out as the best so far. I don't think that's saying a lot though. That's why I added "I hope they find a lot more talent this week" ;) So far there isn't much that's impressive.

Anyone know how long the auditions last before they hit boot camp?

17. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

http://www.thexfactorusa.com/about

Auditions: Septemeber 12-27

Bootcamp: October 3-10

Judges house: October 11-17

Live shows: November 1st-December 13th

Final/finale: December 19-20th

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

So a year on and correct me if I am wrong but nobody who took part last year made it in the music industry.

Rachel Crow seemed destined to success, especially with all the DESTROYER OF CHILDREN'S DREAMS business. But both her debut EP and her single "Mean Girls" failed to chart (not surprising given how terrible they were).

Melanie Amaro's single is out on the 18th and given how mediocre the song is, I am betting it's gonna meet the same fate. :p

19. halffull

Thanks tarotx :)

20. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Thank you for this. I agree- it did nothing for me. My roommate was freaking out and I was just like :shuffle: I never like when people pick that song, its not a bad song its just overdone and never comes across as genuine. Of course she is good for 13, but I am not looking forward to seeing more of her, I am going to find her more irksome than Rachel I think. :blah:

21. toepick

toepick Member

I've seen Carly in many professional theatre productions. I know people who have worked with her in NY. She's not going to be irksome...she's always been praised for her maturity/adult-like qualities.

22. my little pony

no one in the history of our species as been as irksome as rachel

23. halffull

I forgot about the girl who had been bullied in high school. She cried during her song. I thought she wasn't too bad either.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I've just watched all of the auditions so far.

And now I feel really abused. It's just painful. The show is very entertaining but the way they objectify and exploit people is just beyond disgusting.

Whilst half the auditions are showcasing people who are good at singing and performing, the other half go out of their way to make people look like shit.

When it's somebody like Lexa Berman, you can say that's what she deserved. I mean her attitude was just awful. Funnily enough in her case, the judges were actually quite sympathetic and gave her constructive criticism.

But then there were cases of exploiting clearly deranged people for ratings. Which I guess shouldn't surprise me because that's what X-Factor auditions essentially are but it felt particularly bad this time.

I mean if it's somebody like Quatrele, that is fine. He's not a great singer but he was funny and put on an entertaining show.

Kaci Newton and Vincent Thomas were clearly edited to make them look terrible. And I don't think they are. Vincent seemed really nervous and insecure and talking about his past boyband success was a way to boost his mood. And well he actually recorded and performed with a band that achieved (modest) international success which is something very few people can say.

Shan Armenta is obviously very deluded. Here at least Demi tried to be nice but I'd guess even the most constructive criticism wouldn't help as he seems very detached from reality.

Don Phillip is clearly not with it. He seems very emotionally disturbed, the strange rasp to his voice screams substance abuse and if it's true that they forced him to admit he's gay on the show, totally throwing him off balance as he wasn't out, it's just revolting.

Patrick Ford - obviously clearly disturbed. And Britney was a total bitch and looked constipated throughout when she could have just smiled, thanked for the flowers and said that she appreciates everything but it's not really right for him blah blah blah.

There were some very good performances too but all the above left a really bitter taste in my mouth.

25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Rachel is still doing acting parts on Nick from time to time. She might be better off in the acting business than in the music business.

26. my little pony

no one in the world is as talented as leopard face thinks she is

27. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Is there anything about this that is not totally and completely set up? This Kesha wanna be who started singing a horrible rendition of the Ghost song is now suddenly vamping it up and doing well to Aguilera? This woman was cast, you can't convince me otherwise.

28. my little pony

the banter betw contestants sounds very very scripted and then badly acted by the planted contestants

29. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Yes, it was just as obvious as the sketch at the beginning of the show between L.A. Reid, Demi and Britney. I'm sure that conversation was totally and completely real. :rolleyes: It just makes me question each and every person who walks on stage and I can't get invested in anyone if I don't think they are real. The entire point, for me, is to see a REAL person with REAL talent go on to be a star. I don't care to see a scripted show where a contestant who was hand picked wins....as scripted.

30. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Ugh, just switched over from the voice, and it feels from substance to going to the shallow end of a wading pool. So much arrogance, and b/s. Yargh