X Factor UK and AUS 2012!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by haribobo, Aug 25, 2012.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Here's some of my faves so far, IMO some really brilliant stuff brewing on both shows! :cheer:

AUS-

Bella Ferraro- "Skinny Love" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u96YmH5fiY

Josh Brookes- "Tears in Heaven"- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9SJUFEgpoo

Shiane Hawke- "Mercy" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjf6BHOUebE&feature=related

What About Tonight- "Say You Like Me" by We the Kings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlDWmyYpaXc

Matt Gresham- "No Woman No Cry"- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKtpfwz5KNA

UK

Ella Henderson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k9cK_n1mlg&feature=related

Jahmene Douglas- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-xndZZjM4A&feature=relmfu

Curtis Golden- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s60ERyDcpkk&feature=relmfu

2. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I really hope Ella Henderson is the runaway favorite to win the UK version, she is brilliant.

3. haribobo

4. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

5. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Watching Robbie Hance's bootcamp performance was just heartbreaking. Once again X Factor exploits a vulnerable person for ratings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usfWV9Y7LCY

He used a strategy that is very common. Procrastinate so that you will have an excuse when you fail.

But to see it going that far, this kind of level of self-destruction and total lack of confidence, when he got a standing ovation at his audition. :(

On the lighter side of things, The Diva Hoedown was just something else. Even grumpy Louis was crying with laughter.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  7. Nadin

Nadin Active Member

Tulisa looks like Miss Piggy with the new hair. That is all.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:D

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Just watching the final bootcamp performances now and wow...

The level is just beyond incredible this year. Some fantastic singers. :respec:

10. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Rylan's meltdown of Baiul at 94 Olympics proportions! :rofl:

11. allezfred

Live shows just starting. Christopher Maloney got the wild card. Of course GB public didn't pick hot manband....:fragile:

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

13. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Anybody knows of a way to watch it live outside UK?

Anybody streaming it on justin.tv or somewhere?

Here's the amazing Popjustice X-Factor scoresheet you can print and complete as you watch. :D
    http://www.popjustice.com/downloads/xfactor/201202.jpg

There one they did last week:
    http://www.popjustice.com/downloads/xfactor/201201.jpg

Can't wait to see what Rylan will come up with this time. :D

Stupid British public better vote for him. I mean he's the most entertaining act I remember ever seeing on the X-Factor. :D

Times Red were massively shafted.

Actually the groups in general were a disgrace.

I'd have picked Mitsotu, Times Red and Duke. All talented, different, edgy, interesting.

But Louis of course was thinking $$$ as well as 'which boys I'd like to mess around with most' and we got two shitty boybands.

Well to be fair, District 3 are very good. I think they will go far.

But Union J are quite mediocre and their first live performance was a total mess.

15. haribobo

http://myiplayer.com/home.php

Click on ITV1 and then on the teeny tiny x to close the popups that come up above it -sometimes you have to wait a lil bit for the little x to show up- its hard to find too....but its there

Nadin and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

THANK YOU! <3

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Good show.

Here is the Live Week 2 playlist where you can watch all of the performances.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLJQHjmJHb1qJA0pK2WH9gOI_4ljTwNxT

Jahmene oversung a bit less this week but still meh. His contorting face and closed eyes when he sing look like he's dying. He has a strong voice but not much clue what to do with it. If you just shout it out, if there's no light and shade, it gets boring quickly. This time, he started calm... and it wasn't very good. He can do the high notes but not much else it seems. 5.75

Union J were a disaster last week, this week they nailed it. I might have to eat my words posted above. Decent vocals and stage presence, that was a solid performance. 6.50

Christopher Maloney. Why did the people vote for him? All other 3 wildcards were far more interesting. He has a strong voice but it's more shouting than singing. And it's very karaoke/cruise ship. He shouts those big ballads but there's no emotion there, nothing. Terribly cheesy and bland. 3.00

Ella Henderson. I will be very surprised if she doesn't win. Amazing voice, amazing poise and maturity for a 16-year old. She really seems to understand the songs and connect with them. Just incredible. And the "sharp descending F" or whatever that was. ;) Wow. 7.75

James Arthur. You know there is a fine line between being very emotional as you sing and looking like you're taking a dump. He has crossed it. He is very good at what he does but I have two worries: 1) Technically he is lacking. 2) It's all samey. 6.75

Lucy Spraggan. Kanye West's song done in a folky style. Hilariously zany. She rocked it and "really made it her own" (hate that phrase). But I am worried the public might not connect with it and vote for the big belters instead. During Xtra Factor the guests said she should have joined Britain's Got Talent instead because she has her own style and niche and X-Factor requires you to do a different thing each week. I think they are right. Lucy is an incredible unique artist and I am worried this isn't the right show for her. 7.25

District 3. It is incredible how little Louis Walsh knows about music, given his position in the industry. A terrible, dated, cheesy song choice. Given the boys hated it as well, why did he force it? They are good singers but during this performance, you could see they weren't connecting to the song. Shame because their vocal harmonies are indeed very strong. 5.00

Jade Ellis. Her voice is very original but I find it very irritating. It's quirky but I find nothing else about her interesting. Sung ok but meh. 5.25

MK1. Idiot Louis strikes again. An edgy urban group made to do a Glee performance. And neither her vocals, nor his rapping are great. They need to work a lot on those. They make up for it in their stage presence and energy but this looked like something out of Nikelodeon. 4.50

Kye Sones. He seems lost. Good singer but what kind of music would he like to make? So far he's been singing big ballads with great vocals but it just came across as a bit bland. If you watch the one single his band did before being dropped, it's a song which is melancholic, emotional but also very current electropop. It's an amazing track. That is the direction he should take IMO. Instead he sang two big ballads. Good vocals but it came off totally flat and unimaginative. 4.25

Rylan Clark. He is amazing. Can't sing but he surely can entertain. I mean the whole staging, his vogueing, it was hilarious. I hope he's kept in for at least 5 more weeks. This is entertainment! 7.00

Melanie Masson. She is undeniably a fantastic singer. I loved how she paced herself and showed light and shade with low notes and not just oversinging throughout. Not 100% sure about the song, you could see she wasn't feeling it that well. She's great but I am worried she can only do old school rock well. And she will need to be versatile and more current both on this show and if she's to sell any records. 7.25

Whom I would like to see in the bottom two based on those performances:
    Christopher Maloney (and I want him to go) and Kye Sones

Who I think will be in the bottom two:
    Christopher Maloney and Kye Sones or MK1

I think Rylan will be safe because the public probably went from hating him to feeling sorry for him for all the backlash he's got. Plus he surely entertains a lot of people.

I worry a little about Spraggo being in the bottom two but I think the judges would save her then.

Hopefully Maloney will get the boot and return to cruise ship work (that he failed to mention when auditioning funnily enough).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I knew Rylan would make it. Lol at his reaction... :rofl:

I am really pissed off about Maloney slipping through.

I mean I can understand Dickstrict 3 being in the bottom two given how weak their performance and song choice were.

But Melanie? I mean maybe the performance was a little tepid but she showed light and shade, really powerful vocals, come on! She is an incredible singer and appears to be a lovely person as well. Give oldies a chance, I wanted her to go far.

They are singing their saving songs in a sec. I hope the judges save Melanie but I doubt it. Dickstrict 3 have much more $$$ potential and there might be orders from above to keep them in as Simon could potentially make shitloads of money off them. As for Melanie, she doesn't really have a target audience. Not one that can bring money anyway. :(

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh screw this shit... To say I am upset would be an understatement.

I can see how Melanie could be seen as dated, samey and not connect very well with the young people. But her voice was undeniably incredible, she had good stage presence, lovely personality and given how horrifically ageist the music industry is, I really wanted her to get a shot at some kind of career (even if not as a major recording artist).

I am gutted. Totally gutted. :(

20. allezfred

Meh, she seemed nice, but was very shouty tonight. If she had lasted any longer she would have been the prime candidate for "sore throat bye". :p

Best musical performance this weekend was Scissor Sisters doing "Let's have a Kiki" on Strictly. :D

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Wheeee can't wait for tonight! :cheer:

I hope that Rylan puts a hell of a show and I hope that Chris gets the boot finally. :p

Why does the X Factor has to take place at the same time as SA? QQ

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I do not believe for a second that Lucy Spraggan has left the show due to illness. I mean Janet Devlin has received the medical bye for two weeks in a row, hasn't she?

Lucy hasn't been tweeting anything and during the last show they didn't show a segment about her, explaining what really happened.

I am sure that what really has happened isn't illness but a conflict over the rights to her songs. She reportedly wanted to be paid royalties given that X-Factor live performances are sold on iTunes and kept fighting the producers over wanting to perform original songs and not covers.

She was the only contestant that I really liked. Don't even feel like watching the show now. :(

23. Nadin

Nadin Active Member

They really skipped over her departure, I was wondering what had happened. Normally Dermot digs a little deeper as well, but clearly he was told not to.

I'm not really sure if I like anyone this year, Rylan is probably the most entertaining of the lot. I quite liked Jade and was surprised the judges kicked her out in favour of another boyband.

24. haribobo

Christopher, Rylan, and Kye are crap. District 3 are cute but crap also. Jahmene- overbaked crap. James- good singer but just too angsty and depressing all the time. Ella- good singer but usually quite bland. Union J are the one act I generally enjoy, at least on the weeks they aren't sabotaged with a terrible song choice from the awful Louis Walsh.

Jade had potential but some vocal cord problem + her bad song choices really derailed her. Lucy was fun but now she's gone. Carolynne and Melanie had some potentially great performances in them but they were kicked off straight away. Jake Quickenden and Adam Burridge were fabulous but didn't get put through. MK1- sabotaged with naff song choices by Louis, big surprise. Jade Richards- amazing, but not put through to lives. What a tremendously disappointing season this has become. Watching live today and last week felt like a huge waste of time. I won't make that mistake again.

There has been talk of Simon bringing back the original judging panel + Dannii and Cheryl for next season? Not sure if that's legit, but that is what is necessary IMO to save this show. Well that and getting rid of Louis, which probably won't happen. Gary has made a mess of his category, Nicole's boys aren't doing much for me, Tulisa's girls category has a been a total disaster besides Ella, but probably only half of that was her fault, and Louis' song choices for his groups :scream:

On a more cheery note, here's another couple delightful videos from the impossibly handsome Jake Quickenden-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPzUW9DDf8&feature=channel&list=UL
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwd6w85P7xw&feature=plcp

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's all a total disaster, isn't it?

Given how they just skipped over Lucy and gave her no airtime AGAIN tonight, I totally believe that her exit was all about not coming to agreement about her songwriting royalties and artistic control.

I hope she has a great career, she is a great songwriter and contrary to people's bitching, a good singer as well.

Shouter Maloney has to go. Please. His cheesy shit is making me slit my wrists.

Kye was great doing Adelesque balladry but I am not buying this whole "entertainer" thing at all. And the number of bum notes he's hitting is cringeworthy.

Rylan is great fun. The only reason to keep watching the show at the moment tbh. :p And he actually didn't sing too badly tonight.

Ella is an amazing talent but she's been on a downward slope, I feel. They keep making her sing shit songs.

Union J is ok. I think District 3 are excellent and clueless idiot Louis is totally destroying them. They are a great vocal harmony group and they just need to stand and sing beautiful songs. STOP with the Mickey Mouse Show bullshit!

James Arthur is boring me now with his angsty stuff.

Jahmene always oversings and whilst his range is amazing, technically he's not very good. Lots of bum notes. Whilst I feel really sorry for him having suffered such torment, having it used constantly as a sob story is not is particularly good taste.

26. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I was impressed with Maloney's audition but now... he's boring, his notes are stiff and the over the top emotions are just annoying, haven't seen the groups but the rest of the bore me. I wish Jade would have stayed.

27. Nadin

Nadin Active Member

I agree Maloney has to go.

And I don't get Jahmene at all. Is he really that good? The feedback he got was so positive, but I find it hard work listening to him. He sounds laboured and very insecure, it's not enjoyable.

When I heard James' song choice, I thought it could be a good week for him, but again it was all a bit much. I don't mind a bit of angsty but it's just too OTT. I don't know how he would ever be able to play a full live show, he'd only be able to do one every two years because it would be complete emotional drainage.

Who else? Ella, again you'd think she'd be really good but somehow she's not doing it for me. She's butchered too many songs I like and there is very little emotion in her singing, I don't know.

At least someone's having fun though, looks like Nicole has finally been able to realise her fantasy and smother herself in baby oil. :p

28. floskate

floskate Vacant

I watched last night for the first time in a few weeks, so not invested at all. Didn't know about those rumours regarding Lucy Spraggan but that makes sense. But when all's said and done I never felt that she was right for this programme. She'd have done way better on BGT where a niche talent like that could find more of an outlet. I hope she gets something as her songs are great, although I'm afraid she is vocally limited when it comes to singing outside her genre.

Maloney is dreadful. I'm so sick of the tears and the drama surrounding him. Grow up man and go get some singing lessons! And I resent the cruise ship moniker. Trust me there are some fantastic singers working on ships :p

Jahmene I found virtually unwatchable. Among the 48320449358943859401 notes that he managed to cram into that song, he probably made about 10 % in tune - if that! I cannot believe the feedback he got. :rolleyes:

Missed James Arthur but bored of the angsty crap anyway. :yawn:

Both boybands were pretty blah last night and ITA with the feedback for District 3. Louis is completely off his rocker and clueless.

Ella is starting to get a bit overrated IMO. Vocally she was all over the place last night. No mixing ability whatsoever, horrid, raspy aspirate high notes which usually means voice trouble not too far away (see Jade). She's got a nice presence and a very mature understanding of lyrics but the girl needs technique! Still she's only 16 so as long as it's fixed and fixed fast she should be ok.

The only reason I bother to watch - if I do at all - is Rylan. Hated him in the audition rounds but he is entertaining now, although his opening fluffs with Nicole are now by far the best bit of the show. Nicole going all TOWIE last night was hysterical. And she was good at the accent too! :rofl: Rylan FTW to make a mockery of this ridiculous show. (Although with some proper training, he could have a decent voice. The tone is ok actually but his range is non-existent.)

Did I miss anyone? Oh Kye. Meh, next! If this show is going to regain even a shred of integrity then major changes need to happen with the judges and even the format to a degree. Keep Nicole - the girl is TV gold, has the pipes to back up what she's saying and clearly has a fabulous sense of humour. Gary could have been great had he gone legit. He does know what he's talking about and I have a lot of respect for him as a musician and composer. But either through his own choice or pressure from execs (most likely), he's gone down the panto villain route and it's just pure crap. Tulisa tries hard to be classy but fails miserably and is hopelessly and unintentionally upstaged by Nicole at every turn so she needs to go. And Louis is the biggest joke Ireland ever came up with. 'Nuff said :p

29. haribobo

The feedback last night was so ridiculous for him I started wondering if they are trying to lull the voting audience into a false sense of security to get him into a shock bottom 2. What a hideous, gaspy, wheezy, out of tune, just wretched version of that Beyonce song. Just truly awful stuff.