"X Factor" judge sings "Phantom of the Opera"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by all_empty, Dec 14, 2011.

1. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

2. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Ooooh....sorry. I respect your opinion but I don't share it. She was fine but incredibly weak in the lower registers, but when she tried to hit that first syllable of PHAN-tom, it was obvious she does not have the type of voice that should be trying this song. Her throat closed up and the sound was awkward and hooded and not compatible with the previous sound. Sorry. Not adequate in my book by a huge long shot. Pretty and sweet little voice in places, though.

The men were pretty good, though. Very obviously more classically trained.

3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Oh goodness. I think even Emmy Rossum did better than she did. Her low register was really, really weak and somewhat out of tune. Her diction could have been a lot better, and her vowels could have been shaped much better. I give her serious props for actually hitting all the notes in the cadenza, but there were some intonation issues there as well, and it was really, really thin. Her high 'E', an admittedly difficult note, had no shape whatsoever.

It wasn't horrible. I'll give her that. In the world of pop music she has one of the best natural voices, but she doesn't have the ability to really nail this song. She could, though, with training, I think.

...Why were there 4 phantoms?... And most of them oversang it, though they were much better than she.

4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I don't know why they were four Phantoms, but if your'e going to have a pop Christine they probably shouldn't all be opera-quality tenors who can blow her off the stage individually, let alone together (or quite such an odd stylistic mix--they're all GOOD, just not voices I would really want to hear together, let alone on that song. Of course any one would have done a better job than Gerard Butler in the movie--I love him, don't get me wrong, but he cannot. Sing.)

Ironically the best part of that was the arpeggios, where she didn't have to try to sing lyrics (or act.) Yeah, the last note was weak but the runs into it were good (and there are some Christines who cheat/drop/botch that last anyway. And yes, I say this as someone who used to have it, on a good day, and who knows better than to try now. I was a high soprano in college but those notes are long gone. Not really her bad, it's not an easy thing to hit.)

5. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Note, I didn't say Nicole was good, just that she was "not bad" -- certainly better than anything Paula Abdul or Cheryl Cole could do.

It was a novelty act for a variety show, so I cut her some slack.

6. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

She wasn't horrible but that ending! My ears, my ears! And the expression on her face throughout was funny...she looked like she was in very painful labor.

7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Nicole is so much more listenable than those four dudes all put together...

8. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Give me Michael Crawford, and I am happy. I don't know why those four are oversinging it so badly :yikes: I bet they'd all have done a decent job if they'd just relaxed. Maybe they were competing?

9. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Wow, that was bad. And I thought Emmy Rossum was bad... :yikes: