WTT at the OLY question

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by johndockley92, Apr 19, 2012.

1. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Will each nation send different skaters to the team event than they do at the normal event? IE if the US sends Abbot and Rippon to the Olympics in men, would they send a different man to compete in the team event? I'd rather see it that way, tbh. Only the deepest countries would be competitive and it would make it so that more skaters got a great opportunity and that the skaters competing individually would have less to prepare for.

Anyways, I'm wondering which way it's going to be... And which way you think is better?

2. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

I think the Olympic team comes from those who already qualified. So some people will just have to skate 4 times.

ETA: I have no opinion on which way works best. I don't think a skater deserves a medal if they couldn't qualify for the main events though. I just think this whole thing is dumb.

3. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

5. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

What if a country doesn't qualify a skater in a discipline? For example, if Takahashi & Tran were injured at Worlds and/or the Olympic qualifying event, and the other team (if any) who competed didn't earn the spot? We already known T&T won't likely be able to compete themselves. Assuming Japan still did qualify a team I wonder if they would be allowed to send a pair who didn't qualify for the actual pairs event (and wouldn't be a substitute for it either).

6. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The day before? That sounds awful, particularly for the Russian skaters.

7. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I am surprised they get to try this "experiment" out at the Olympics, instead of at the World Championships.

8. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

If my memory serves me correctly Speedy made reference to the Team event in Sochi as a possible Mixed-Team format with qualified singles, pairs and dancers being put on different teams instead of the same format used in WTT. If that is the case, then just please scrap the whole idea as an olympic event. Makes no sense as the Olympic Movement is all about Nationalism and national teams competing against one another.

9. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

10. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Good grief, this sounds like it's going to be a huge mess.

11. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

This only referred to the Youth Olympic Games. At the Olympic Winter Games, the teams will be formed from one country only.
    I think it is good to have a team event and thus giving more skaters an opportunity to win medals. However, the timing is bad. The team event should take place after the individual event. I think in most other disciplines this is the case.

Ten teams will qualify according to the result of the World Championships 2013. All compete in the short program but only the top ranked five teams will compete in the free skating of the Olympic team event.

12. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I can't think of anything it IS true for. Team is before individual in gymnastics, relays are interspersed with individual in swimming, I think in track cycling they are interspersed. Athletics the relay's are sort of at the end.

And I don't see how "figure skating is just not a team sport!" makes sense. Gymnastics is a team sport and the only real difference between that and figure skating in this context is that people are used to gymnastics as a team sport.

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The difference between gymnastics is NOTHING in figure skating is as bad as the floor exercise. Gymnastics sucks!

14. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

They are at the end and well after the individual events have finished. :)

15. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Am I the only one who really HATES the WTT idea?

16. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

I am sure the athletes appreciate the chance to win another medal (or only medal!!) at the Olympics. This event may even be added to the world championships. It gives skaters more opportunities to win medals. I do not see how that can be a bad thing.

17. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Oh come on, don't be grumpy, it's FUN!!! :D

18. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Well I don't dislike the idea, the thing is I don't think it's a good idea to add another competition for athletes who already are worn out after the olys ... But still it can be a nice way to make all countries go and developp all disciplines !

19. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I didn't think I'd like it, but after watching online, I do think it's a nice way to incorporate team events into figure skating and give additional athletes a chance to be on an Olympic team. I could see each country's team having different skaters for this event than the other four disciplines, so the spectators could see different programs and skaters.

My favorite part is the cheerleader section where the teammates wait and watch with flags and pompons. A little cheesy, perhaps, but I like the team spirit.

The Synchro advocates hate the WTT idea being brought across to the Olympics because they'd rather see Synchro be included instead of this event. I can understand their point, but I don't enjoy synchro as much as I like the other disciplines, singles being my favorite.

20. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

If they're going to do this, I'd rather they drop the exhibition and use this in it's place and even let the skaters use their exhibition programs.

21. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

If they want to add another event for the figure skating, which is a good thing, I think it should be more like what they do in gymnastics: make a special team with special programs and separate competitions.

Figure skating is an individual sport, and putting together rather random people sounds like a really stupid idea. Plus, the chances are it's going to affect the main competition.

22. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I like this event, but I do think that there are structural issues that are likely to bite Cinquanta and Co. given the very high chance that countries in the top ten may not have an Olympic-eligible entry in each discipline. I understand why the event was not held last year, but with such little experience under the belt they're taking on some risk in pushing it to the Olympics.

I wonder if this is the first time some of these skaters have watched their competitors skate live in an actual competition?

23. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

While I really enjoy the team work and fun environment being put out by some of the countries at WTT, I agree with you, for example, why not a just spinning or just jumping competition, Alissa would be an Oly champion :D

24. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I am not following you at all. Gymnastics doesn't have a special team for the team event a.f.a.i.k. And you often (usually) see the gymnasts doing the same routines in both team and individual segments.

Personally, I'm glad to see skaters get another chance to compete for a medal.

25. Theatregirl1122

Yeah, by sort of, I meant that it was after the individual events for those participating in the relays but after all individual events in the athletics program which seems to be true, at least, of the London schedule.

26. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Meh. Skaters used to have to do figures too. Skiiers do multiple events, as do swimmers and many other sports. It's not as though they can't handle a few more run throughs.

27. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

It likes that at every athletics championships. Although the teams do have the option of letting a substitute/substitutes run in the preliminary rounds.

28. Theatregirl1122

Yeah, the second part is true of swimming as well. Which, I suppose, wouldn't work for figure skating since I get the impression that the IOC wants to add this without adding very many more athletes (which is part of why this has more legs that synchro). I guess they could sub in one of their other qualified skaters, but that might be a little rude.

29. JamieElena

JamieElena Active Member

I am liking the WTT. This seems a nice way to end the season and the prize money put up by/through JSF is great for the sport.

I've always thot that since the introduction of IJS that there could be medals awarded for the highest scoring elements. Amanda & Mark would have one then too, :lol:

While watching today I was thinking that more emphasis on artistry and less on tech would make this a better event. And if the event is going to be held before the individual events at the Olympics, all the better to do so, less risk of injury prior to the "real" competition.

I can see their point, especially when Syncho Swimming is an event.

30. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Your description sounds like Rhythmic Gymnastics Group event rather than Artistic Gymnastics team event.

As for WTT I like the concept of team event but I hate the implementation. WTT looks like something Japanese Federation came up so that they can win it, and ISU happily agreed to the concept. How else could you explain 2 individual skaters in Men's and ladies event and just 1 pair and ice dance team. More like damage control in those event. I think ISU should organise it with the same rules as Olympics team event. I also hate the rules in place for team events at Olympics (that is whole other issue.:mad:).