writer rips kwan in relation to chanflation, and implies that nationalism is a factor

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by iarispiralllyof, Mar 20, 2013.

1. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

:eek::rolleyes::mad: :kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass::lynch::lynch::angryfire:angryfire:angryfire

an excerpt from the article:

read the full thing here:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/winter-sports/Canada Patrick Chan/8110443/story.html

an almost identical article (except for slight differences in 1 small section)
    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Americans Chanflation over Chans/8113594/story.html

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Oy Vey

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Aside: Did the term 'Chanflation' originate here on FSU or elsewhere, anyone know? The earliest usage of the word here was by Rob during 2010 U.S. Nationals, and I believe it referred to Chan's nationally inflated scores at 2010 Canadians?

ETA:
    1 Patrick Chan CO 90.14 177.88 268.02
    (No quad attempts in either program and the competition took place in... London, Ontario.)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Blah. All this talk of figure skating needing saving - let's start by getting rid of these stupid reporters and their sensationalist headlines, constant need to create controversy, and imaginary rivalries. There's so much to talk about in skating, and yet this nonsense is what gets all the attention. Blah.

Smiley0884, kittyjake5, RFOS and 5 others like this.
  5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Kwan was not winning titles with 4 mistakes. Her strength was in delivering a near perfect SP& LP every time. That's what won her those 5 world titles. This is not even close.

6. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

this article smells a little desperate and defensive

7. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

Savchenko and Szolkowy skated poorly in the short?

8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I wonder if the American writer friend was Christine Brennan.

ETA: And if being able to land a throw triple axel in the last few seconds of a program is a "poor performance", I want to do that badly too.

9. iarispiralllyof

doesn't brennan always worship michelle though

10. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

Oh hell to the no! :mitchell: :mitchell: :mitchell:

11. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

If they were beaten by D/R they certainly did by their standards...

12. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

Maybe it was a writer who wasn't invited to her wedding. :D

13. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Honestly, I haven't read the article in it's entirety or any of the other Chan threads so I apologize if this isn't completely on topic. But you know what? That's an indicator in and of itself. I usually try to read articles and threads before posting. Now I don't give a damn. I've been mulling about this for a few days and it's just not leaving my mind. This absurd result is killing figure skating. It's a tragedy when someone like me, who has been passionately involved in figure skating almost my whole life, whether as a competitor, fan, or coach, doesn't even want to bother with it any more. I'm well versed in COP. I know where the numbers came from. I've seen Patrick skate. I've shared ice with him. I still don't agree with what happened.

People complain about sensationalistic headlines and all that nonsense but is a bonafide controversy, not just someone stirring the pot. This is a travesty and I'm devastated that a sport I love so much is going down the drain like this. So many people I've spoken to over the past few days, in person or on facebook, share the same opinion, whether it's non-skaters, kids at the rink, long time coaches, or high-level competitors I've met over the years. I've yet to meet one who thinks this result is good for the sport. So many people are upset and outraged over this.

I've defended skating for a long time and I hate those people who make a big drama of how over it they are every time their favourite loses. This isn't like that... but I do want to say I'm pretty much over the whole sport at this point. It really pains me because of how much I truly love it. But with this judging I can't. This keeps happening time and time again and it's just getting worse and no one is doing anything about it. I'm sorry people think this is melodramatic or over the top or whatever, but I can't help it. I'm crushed.

14. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

It was a gutsy move and in terms of the points it gained was the reason for their silver medal. Despite a slightly shaky performance themselves, without it D/R may have ended up with the silver so yes, it was a less than stellar performance from S/S by their standards...

15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Hmmm...come to think of it, Phil Hersh has used the term "Chanflation" on Twitter and in some of his columns :sekret:

16. falling_dance

By their standards, sure. I still think that was pretty sloppy on Cole's part, especially given how well D/R skated in that phase. Anyway, medals aren't handed out on the basis of individuals and teams meeting their respective personal bests, they're given on the basis on point totals awarded on the days of each phase of competition.

17. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

When did Michelle Kwanwin a World Championship after having fallen twice in the FS? IIRC, she never won Worlds with anything other than two clean performances.
    Bad, bad comparison.

18. falling_dance

I wonder if Cole was referring to 5.9s and 6.0s that Kwan received at other competitions--GP events, US Nats--rather than at Worlds. The only 6.0 for a performance with a fall I can think of was for her otherwise wonderful free skate at 1999 Skate America.

19. iarispiralllyof

In this (almost identical except for 1 section) article he specifically references her world championships:
    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Americans Chanflation over Chans/8113594/story.html

His article slams the apparent American double standard when it comes to score inflation, but the thing is..most of Michelle's 6.0's were from nationals so I don't see how that fits into his narrative. If most of her 6.0's were from international events it would support his theory of an American double standard more, since that would actually affect non-American skaters. After all, most skaters receive inflated scores at their national championships vs international events

20. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Kwanflation only took place at the National level, and even there she deserved the 6.0s she received for some of the performances she got them. At the World level she was hardly showered with 6.0s even sometimes for outstanding performances that I feel deserved them (eg- 2000 Worlds and 2001 Worlds LP where due to her main rivals skating later she did not receive a single 6.0 for a 6.0 worthy performance). Discounting the Worlds in 2004 where all marks are discredited for obvious reasons, she received only about 6 total 6.0s at Worlds in her career (still amazing) and never more than 2 for a single program. More importantly than the 6.0s though she fully deserved every title and medal she won; well I thought Chen should have won the 96 Worlds slightly over Michelle, but that doesnt mean it was a ripoff, it obviously could have gone either way in that case. She skated absolutely beautifully for all her World titles, didnt put a foot wrong, and in 2000 and 2001 had to skate out of her skin and wait for her main rival(s) to make mistakes to win. Only one occasion she won, she made a mistake or two at the weakish 98 post Olympic Worlds where she was clearly the best over the 2 programs of anyone that event regardless. Her only ever controversial medal was the 99 Worlds, but even there she only had a fall in the short, one real mistake (a step out of her 1st triple lutz) while landing 6 triples in the long, and still barely placed 2nd in the long to barely win the silver. Never was Kwan falling 4 or 5 times and being showered with 5.9s and 6.0s and titles. Had she skated the way Chan did at the last 2 Worlds she would have only 1 or 2 World titles today. To compare Kwan to Chan is a pure insult.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  21. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

This is probably the most figure skating has been in the news in ages!

22. SGrand

SGrand Member

Maybe this is what it needs??? Lol!!!!
    (I kid, I kid!)

23. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Let me tell you what's "pure insult". Your many posts were pure insults to a great talented skater!:shuffle:

24. bek

bek Guest

I'm frankly trying to understand when Michelle Kwan ever won a world title with two falls another big jumping error, and then a double jump? Kwan lost major competitions for far less egregious errors than what Chan pulled. And I'm not a Kwan uber.

25. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Word. And I am as far from a Kwan uber as it gets.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. bek

bek Guest

And for me it has nothing to do with being an uber. I adored Yu na Kim back in 2010, but I was very upset when she got higher PCS than Asada than 2010 worlds.....I didn't need to see Yu-na win, when she was skating sub par.

27. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

When did Kwan fall and win world titles?

I am geting too old, I simply cannot remember.

28. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

I can't remember either. I'd have to go back and watch, but the only one that I can recall where she had a fairly subpar skate and won was 1998 Worlds (thought the whole competition that year was pretty blah). I don't think she fell though. Don't think that was the best example that the writer could've used but she was probably the one American skater he thought people would remember. :lol:

Went back and watched Kwan's 1998 Worlds LP. She stumbled out of a double axel and doubled a Salchow. It was not her best gold medal performance. No falls though.
    She had also won her QR, was 1st in the SP and the others (Slutskaya and Butyrskaya) were 4th and 5th in the SP. Don't think it would've been possible for them to catch up but can't really recall their LP's.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  29. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I already read it in last season on internet...

30. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Wow Fsuniverse user rips two lines out of an article and decides to cause controversy. It isn't outrageous at all. It simply implies that many skaters receive favourable marks which is o.o true. Nationalism polays a huge part. In the 6.0 system you had geo-political/regional bloc voting which probably still exists only we don't know about it. Add to that skaters receive favourable marks when skating at home. Not an unknown quality in the slightest.

I don't particularly think Kwan was favouritised but I find it plainly ridicolous that so many people can in essence be so outraged by a two line comment.

aka_gerbil and (deleted member) like this.