Wrestling Eliminated from Olympics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Haven't a clue who these people are, and don't really care to google. I never said ALL curlers were out of shape- it was just in response to the idea that golfer's aren't athletes because not all of them are in shape. Some apparently are a little chubby, others are in phenomenal shape. Not all curlers are in phenomenal shape, though some are, it doesn't mean it isn't a difficult sport.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And why is wushu even considered? It's such a niche sport...

Equality says hello. :p

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  3. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

US Gov't Wants to get Involved

4. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

I'm pretty sure the Japanese Olympic Committee will be lobbying to get it back in again as women's wrestling has been quite successful for Japan. Hopefully any Japanese companies who are sponsors will get behind it too.

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I have been disgusted with FIFA for quite a while now but always thought the IOC had done a good job of getting it's act together. But now all this has me changing my mind about the IOC.

6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Or horseback riding maybe? I'm not even a big wrestling fan, but yeah, I don't think it's a good idea to eliminate it...

7. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

The other day the local (Seatte Times) sports front page was a story on the High School wrestling state championships. Looks like it is pretty big here too.

8. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Here are some facts on wrestling from the 2012 Olympics.

71 countries competed in wrestling. 29 countries won medals. They included Mongolia, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Georgia, Iran, Puerto Rico, Uzbekistan, Estonia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan.

Of the 71 medals awarded, 16 were awarded to women (representing 11 different countries).

In the 14 men's events, gold medals were won by representatives of eight different countries.

I think that is a pretty remarkable amount of diversity given that wrestling only had 18 to 20 competitors in each event. The only other sports that are comparable in terms of diversity are athletics (with representatives from 201 countries competing in 47 events and its 143 medals divided between 41 countries), boxing (79 countries in 13 events due to a quota system set up for qualifying from different regions and 52 medals divided between 20 countries, and many weights had 26 qualifiers), and judo (56 medals in 14 events split among 23 countries) (judo actually had 388 competitors from 134 countries, but that was because it allowed so many qualifiers, with each men's class having more than 30 qualifiers).

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yep and that's one of the reasons it should stay.

10. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

You miss the most important point about golf: golfers are, as a rule, a bunch of self-important dweebs.

11. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

So let's introduce men's synchronized swimming and men's rhythmic gymnastics? :p
    Equality has nothing to do with it; it's all about money and sponsorships.
    The IOC refused to introduce women's ski jumping event though that proposed event would have many more competitve countries.

Women's hockey has turned out to be the biggest niche sport of all.It has been between Canada and the US since its inception. It's a challenge for many other competing countries to even field a team, whereas these two countries have regular leagues. The IOC was sold a bridge in Brooklyn regarding the introduction of this sport to the Olympics. They were lead to believe that it was a fully contested competitive sport . It's such a waste of ice time , Olympic housing , and medals.

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Sold, or bought? If the IOC didn't do their own research, then one can hardly blame a sport for seeking to raise its prestige and promote itself.

Also, it's worth noting that for the first 70 years of men's hockey at the Olympics, with one bizarre exception in the 1930s, gold medals were won by just two entities - Canada and the Soviet Union/Unified team. For that matter, until 1952, Canada took gold every time except once.

But today, men's Olympic hockey is very competitive - so maybe the thinking is that by investing in women's hockey and building its popularity, there will come a day when more countries participate and win gold medals.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Women's hockey might not have a league, but they have a quasi farm system in US universities. When they did player bios on the players in Vancouver, many of the players from Scandinavia and were playing for American schools, which may lead to more parity.

What winter sports are impacted by the inclusion of women's hockey, were there a limit, like what's affecting wrestling in the Summer Olympics? Women's ski jumping is one I know.

14. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

MMA doesn't think much of wrestling, either. Former wrestlers in the MMA who are too quick to fight on the ground are called "ground-and-pounders" in a derogatory way.

15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

How does women's hockey affect the organization of the Games? There's the extra lodging. They use the same arena as the men's hockey for the medal-round games and "big" round-robin games. There was a second arena in the 2010 Games for some of they round robin games--not sure if a second arena would still have been required if it was just men's hockey. Wasn't that the main reason baseball and softball were eliminated--one had to build unique infrastructure for that sport.

Unlike the summer games, there are not a lot of team sports (I don't count anything involving relays or pairs or ice dance or whatever that speed skating thing was as true team events). There's hockey, curling...am I missing anything? I think women's hockey (and the further development of it around the globe) is an important part of the winter games organization.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes, let's!

And women's ski jumping too, of course.

17. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Denmark just missed qualifying their women's hockey team for Sochi, so I doubt there is a lack of countries able to field a team. The fact that 2 countries are miles ahead of everyone else is a different problem.

18. escaflowne9282

I could understand that line of thinking, but then the IOC got rid of softball and baseball in the summer games, citing them as being non-competitive, even though there seemed to be a greater variety of countries playing and winning medals. Baseball only went from 1992-2008 and Softball 1996-2008 (with the decision to get rid of both coming in 2005). The playing field in women's hockey seems to be much less egalitarian than either of these two sports.

Outside of the US and Canada, many countries don't really invest as much(if any) money in women's hockey as they do men's. The result is that the US and Canada wind up with a disproportionately stronger pool of talent and resources, and wind up with uncompetitive game after uncompetitive game( with still no talk of women's ski jumping or bobsled...::shuffle:: ). Rogge himself commented that there was very little improvement in the situation as of Vancouver.

I don't hate women's hockey, but it seems as though, there needed to be more consideration upon including it on the Olympic roster. I do agree that the IOC needed to research it considerably more.

19. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Winter Olympics does not have the same issues of having too many sports and experiencing escalating costs like the Summer Games does. So, just because a summer sport is eliminated doesn't mean a winter sport has to be eliminated.

20. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:confused: Women's bobsleigh has been in the Olympics since 2002.

21. escaflowne9282

I realize that. I just find some of the overall general justifications previously used by the IOC to get rid of sports deemed unnecessary and the lack of inclusion of other sports, while introducing, or attempting to introduce sports that are more niche, to be somewhat incongruous . No wrestling, or baseball, no women's ski-jumping , but bringing in golf , keeping women's hockey, and introducing the ski-cross ?

:eek: You're right, it was the 4 man bobsled I was thinking of .

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  22. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Not including baseball in the Olympic program is very understable since it is only popular in few countries. On top of this non of the big names in the sport compete at the Olympics.

I can see many are unhappy about women's ski-jumping is not an Olympic event. Are you guys bit late in your protest especially since women's ski-jumping is going to be a Olympic event in Sochi.

Women's ski jumping was initially rejected by IOC since the event wasn't a competitive event, among many other reasons. However after some protest ioc decided to add the event. Women on compete on the NOrmal hill and not on large hill like the men. Though Nordic combined is still strictly men's event.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  23. Seregil

Seregil Active Member

Who says wrestling has to be a summer sport? If there is room in the winter Olympics, move wrestling there. Wrestlers are no more underdressed than the ice dancers.

24. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Wrestlers don't wear enough sequins :p

25. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

NPR reported today that the US and Iran are both protesting the decision which might be the first thing the two countries agree on in some time.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Besides the US and Japan, baseball is immensely popular in the Taiwan, the Caribbean, including Cuba and the Dominican Republic, and Central America. It targets part of the world where many of the nations' teams are focused on a few sports, like boxing, martial arts, or table tennis.

I would think this would be a positive thing.

All of the lip-service to applauding the Middle Eastern nations for being more inclusive of women, how happy to highlight athletes from traditionally Muslim countries, how Istanbul has a great chance at winning a bid in the next two Summer Olympics, blah, blah, they try to cut a freaking sport that is important in South Europe and the Middle East. How bright of them.

27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Is there a petition we could sign or something?!

28. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

wrong decision

now they unleashed alot of critcisms from countries with Wrestling powers like Iran, Russia, Japan etc.
    even in the US

now I say remove dressage, ping pong or horsebackriding
    golf ? lol

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw the news piece about the US and Iran working together to get wrestling back in the games.

30. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

The president of the international wrestling federation (FILA), Raphael Martinetti (SUI) has resigned as the president few days ago, Nenad Lalovic (SRB) is the interim president till the election takes place in September.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/wrestling/21483945

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013