Wrestling Eliminated from Olympics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Feb 12, 2013.

1. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

To counter the point of curling, to be a top level curler and get to the Worlds or Olympics these days, you darn well have to be in really good shape and be hugely physical fit to partake. A good friend of mine is an elite level curler and the gym regimen that he maintains is absolutely nuts, when they aren't on the ice, they're in the gym or doing some kind of physical fitness. Granted back in the day, you didn't have to be nearly as in shape but that's totally different today.

I was just completely :eek: and :confused: over this decision. It makes absolutely no sense to me. This is a sport that people say, is relatively inexpensive to get involved in, has no more doping scandals than any other sport (yes there was one Uzbek wrestler who lost a medal because of it, but that was the only one), the stands were filled in London and as far as I could tell was no less popular than any other sport. Whether it comes down to politics or money, this is a sport that has been around since the Ancient Olympic Games. Then to put golf in? It baffles the mind, I doubt it will be readmitted but I can hope. Either way this decision is just wrong.

2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

This decision is just messed up! It's one of the most equal sports there is - so many different countries sent competitors. It's a ridiculous decision. For golf and pentathlon? WTF?

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

"Dressage" is part of "Equestrian." The Olympic equestrian disciplines are show jumping, three-day eventing, and dressage. Reining (a Western discipline) would like to get in, but because despite a foray into Europe, especially Germany, it's still very American and Canadian it's a long shot. And the horses, as if they care, get ribbons. (Believe me, the horse doesn't care or have any idea about any prize it cannot eat.)

And the horses couldn't do a thing in any of those without the rider. It's a lot harder than it looks to someone who's never ridden (or only ridden pony rides or trail rides for tourists.) Sadly, if they cut one of the equestrian events, it would most likely be the cleanest and cheapest for genuine ams to participate in, Eventing, where the horses are lower-priced and competitions are cheaper to enter at all levels. (Though the horse cost is a little disingenuous-at that level, you almost never own the horse you're riding, unless you're Reed Kessler and qualify on one you brought along.) But Eventing requires the most real estate to put on.

I'm still not getting how BMX racing can be in the Olympics (X-Games, maybe) but they want to drop Wrestling? I mean, yes, I'd rather watch paint dry, but isn't that kind of one of the definitive Olympic sports?

4. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Have you watched Curling lately? That might have been the case 25 years ago, but not now. Also, have you tried it? Trust me when I say you discover brand new anatomy parts of your body when you attempt to keep up to a rock, at speed *and* trying to stay just ahead of it while brushing at the same time.

I'm just as pissed about this bone head move by the IOC, but taking pot shots at other sports isn't cool either.

Other than Golf that is. Phil Mickelson won my respect forever when he came out saying he believes Golf has no place in the Olympics. He's right too.

5. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Eliminating wrestling is just beyond baffling. Not only is it a sport with origins in the ancient Olympics, but with the growth of mixed martial arts and the success of wrestlers, kids and teens are taking an increased interest in amateur wrestling. So there may soon be a larger pool of wrestlers with Olympic potential, though, there have been some promising amateurs who turned to MMA to make a living. Also, wrestling added women's wrestling classes for the last three Olympics, so the criticism that it isn't egalitarian isn't applicable.

It looks to me like the wrestling federation got blindsided at the vote, much like softball did a few years ago, when it thought it was safe and then got blasted because it was associated with baseball (and the IOC didn't like that Major League Baseball was refusing to let pros play). But it was absurd that wrestling was even in the mix for possible rejection. And yet badminton, which has been totally dominated by the Chinese and Koreans for years -- and was the subject of a major scandal -- doesn't even seem to have been in danger. Very baffling.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

One of the articles I read brought up an interesting point. Pentathlon is willing to completely overhaul it's format and do anything to stay in. Skating and Gymnastics, for better or for worse, changed their scoring systems at the behest of the IOC. Wrestling at the higher levels seemed to be 1-0 matches where nothing happened for the first few minutes. Were they willing to change to make it more exciting?

7. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Wrestling actually made changes as well, the matches are set based with best of three of 2 mins each. So an athletes at least need to score 2 points.

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Every Olympic athlete has to be 'in shape' for the sport they do. What that shape is varies, and how beyond the needs of the sport people go probably depends on how competitive it is in that country to get on the team. Compared to other athletes, I still think it is possible for curlers to be -less- in shape. This is not to say that other athletes could curl well, I'm guessing it is incredibly difficult, much more than it looks when watching.

Are "these days" that different from Vancouver? John Shuster (who medaled in Torino) is not the pinnacle of 'in shape' (his Olympic picture he looks more slender than some others on the internet where he has a double chin) and said in an interview with Stephen Colbert that he can't touch his toes. Now, touching your toes might not be a skilled valued in curling- but most people would think a 'fit' person could do that.

9. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

That's certainly a fair point, not every single curler is in the best physical shape humanly possible, but I would also argue that Shuster and his team in Vancouver had one of the worst records as well, was that due to fitness? Perhaps, was it just due to poor shot making? Perhaps, but generally, the teams who are doing the best today are the ones who are consistently in the gym, working on fitness, working on ways to get stronger, etc.

10. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

IOC decision to axe wrestling, the press release.

IOC press office email address : pressoffice@olympic.org... I know that is probably now the correct email address to sent to but they will never the less the get the message.

I really wanted Squash to be an olympic sport, now i will hope Wrestling get back at the next meeting in september.

11. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

This just feels horribly and terribly wrong. I actually enjoy watching the wrestling matches at this level (unlike the fake stuff that morphed into MMA). I believe a couple of things as has been posted here already, led to it being tossed.
    1) didn't think it needed to lobby to stay in compared to the others on the list
    2) didn't grease enough hands to stay in
    3) doesn't have enough sponsorship to bring in big $$$ for the IOC

This just majorly sucks!

BTW, I generally hate golf and bringing that elitist game into the Olympics is WRONG on too many fronts.

Lastly, I still think that basketball is a winter sport and should be played in the Winter Olympics. Why should hockey have to shut down for a few weeks so it's "stars" can by Olympians but the NBA doesn't have to do likewise. Sorry for going OT, but it's been a beef of mine for years.

Back to being ticked off about wrestling being eliminated.

12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

MMA is fake?

Most NBA owners don't want their players playing in the Olympics at all, even in the off season (because an injury there will end up costing THEM big bucks), so there is no way they are going to get them to play during the regular season. I've never considered basketball to be a winter sport though, I guess now that it is an indoor game, but kids in our neighborhood can't play right now- the court is snowed over! It is a summer sport to them.

13. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Two people have now called golf an "elitist" sport. It is not elitist. Expensive, yes, but it is accessible to anyone who wants to play it - and there are often programs for kids who families cannot afford the equipment to be able to play anyway. My son will be playing golf in college, and I can assure you (being a skater myself) that it has cost me far less to prepare for him to play golf at the college level than it would have cost me to prepare a figure skater to skate at, say, a regional level. I would argue that figure skating is far more elitist than golf, being more expensive and less accessible to lower income people and the general masses.

One more thing about golf, and I will let it drop. Someone upthread said that golf damages the environment, and this is not completely true. Yes, they use pesticides etc, but they also often participate in environmental programs and take pride in being good environmental stewards.

14. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Just curious, is there any other sport that needs as much prepared space as golf? I guess skiing and bobsled?

If anything is not environmentally friendly its alpine skiing, but you hear this about golf but I've not heard it about skiing.

I think we all know about the cost and environmental impact of skating. :shuffle:

15. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

And yet we still have the 2 country monopoly that is Women's hockey? :confused:

16. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

In all the reaction to this, I haven't heard any that isn't WTF. This is a real shame.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I didn't mean that MMA was fake, just the "pro" wrestling from which I believe it spawned. The stories my parents would tell us of when they went and watched wrestling. Of course, at that time it wasn't as bad, but bad enough. Anyone remember "the Skeik"? How about "Hulk Hogan"?

Sorry, I detoured again. Getting old and reminiscing seems to happen a lot ... some days :D

As for the NBA -- I just don't find it fair that one league's players don't have to stop league play in order to participate in an Olmpics while other leagues do.

18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

MMA actually came out of martial arts, hence the name. Professional wrestling is doing its best to pretend that MMA doesn't exist.

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik WARNING: not safe for work or for anyone who gets easily offended.

19. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I think golf is more boring than watching paint dry and building courses in parts of the world where there is a shortage of water is criminal, but the irony of people complaining about elitism, expense and environmental damage on a figure skating forum is :lol:

20. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

What were his reasons for not wanting golf in the Olys?

Re: wrestling - my grandfather is likely rolling over in his grave right now. He was on the US Oly team for wrestling back a zillion years ago.

21. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Golf is expensive and environmentally unfriendly. Wrestling is accessible to people of modest means and with the historical connections, I'm really sad to see it go.

I love watching modern pentathlon, so I'm happy it's staying. I don't see that any of the sports wanting to get in deserve wrestling's spot.

22. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I said "Drop a sport where poorer countries do well and add a sport for the elite." So I was talking in terms of the wealth of countries. I believe you are from the USA, the number one richest country in the world. Therefore the fact that your son can play golf does not mean that this is a sport available in Georgia or Azerbaijan.

Again I believe you come from a country where space is not a problem. You can have forests, agricultural areas AND golf facilities. If rich businessmen were content to play golf in their own countries, it would not be so bad. But no, they always need new destinations, so precious forests are cut down in countries with already little forest area and invaluable first quality agricultural soil is ruined for golf facilities.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
    millyskate and (deleted member) like this.
  23. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

That kind of pro wrestling is entertainment, not sport, the matches are staged, so it is fake in terms of result. Some wrestlers have backgrounds in amateur wrestling but most don't.

I guess sports like synchro swimming and rhythmic gymnastics are protected because they balance the genders at the Olympics but I'm still surprised they weren't in the throw-away mix, as I am surprised that roller skating is being considered to join...

One positive thing about golf however is that it brings in older competitors, which only a handfull of other sports does as well.

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think Aragorn might be mistaken - I was curious too and did a search, and came up with this article from last summer:

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's just shocking. What everybody else has said. Also, it's a sport that's been at the original Olympics in Ancient Greece, for fcuk's sake!

It's about the money sadly. It's not a sport sponsors are interested in.

I'm really angry about this.

That's what's most infuriating. Middle-Eastern and Asian countries do very well with wrestling because it's a sport you can achieve success in, even if you can't put a lot of money into it, which those countries aren't able to.

This x infinity. :mad:

Accessible to anyone who has craploads of money. Which defines elitist.

Figure skating might be an elitist sport in the USA where you pay coaches 100 dollars an hour or more but in Poland you pay a flat fee of less than 100 dollars per month making it a reasonably accessible sport and there are skaters successful at the national and international level who came from working class families.

Participating in environmental programs is a fig leaf much like the Ronald McDonald foundation or other crap like this. Creating and maintaining a golf course causes massive damage to the environment. You have to destroy everything on a big patch of land and you then regularly spray it with pesticides and use tons and tons of water to maintain it.

26. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

I think (but not 100% sure!) that synchro swimming and rhythmic gymnastics are considered subsets of the disciplines of swimming and gymnastics, so they would only be removed if the whole sport of swimming was voted out, or if FINA or FIG decided to re-organise the events within their sports that are held at the Olympics, in the way that cycling has been changing the track events over the last couple of Olympic cycles.

27. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Not QUITE anything. One of the groups that's got a lot of lobbyists to get Pentathalon kicked out or substantially revised (ie, elimination of the jumping phase) is the equestrian sports, because despite the protestations of their federation, and the fact there are SOME decent riders on the Pentathalon teams, it's excruciatingly painful for riders to watch because most of the countries' athletes don't spend much time on riding. Watching them slam horses in the mouth and back, crash through fences, and reach a point where your're rooting for a rider to just fall off so they'll stop beating up the poor horse isn't really very sporting. It's not necessarily easy to ride a strange horse (though everyone who competes in the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association does it all the time) but some of the Pentathaletes aren't so much riding as grabbing the reins, kicking the horse, and hoping for the best...

28. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I've gotten to the point where I view the Olympics more as professional entertainment than amateur athletics. The basketball and hockey teams are not real sports teams that regularly train together. They are essentially a group of ringers who don't even necessarily live or work in the country they are representing at the Olympics. There is no pretense at a level playing field anymore. Some athletes are wealthy pros, some have corporate sponsors, some are funded by their government, and some are completely on their own. Then there is the matter of Canada's "own the podium" program at Vancouver and Russia firing their sports minister for not winning enough gold medals. This is about winning by pumping money into a select group of elite athletes not participation or sportsmanship .

29. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

For every Randy Ferbey at the elite level, there are many more Glenn Howards, guys in their late 30's and 40's who are in phenomenal shape

That's not true of all golf courses, for example the more natural courses in Scotland that are on a different model than courses with miles of manicures greens, and there are places like Ireland and the Pacific Northwest where they aren't the same water drain, but for the most part, they are environmental nightmares. (I feel the same way about many lawns.). When I was last in Hyderbad, a city with significant water problems, although no foliage let alone forest to cut down, they were building a golf course across from Hi-Tek City. WTF?

Many fit or elite athletes don't have the flexibility in their hips/hip flexors to be able to thrown a rock in the correct position or the upper body strength to sweep strongly over the course of long games and the rounds of competition.