Wrestling Eliminated from Olympics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

In principle, I don't mind equestrian sports because it's almost like a pairs team - two athletes working together. But you're right, it's a very expensive sport (then again, the same could be said for anything that requires expensive equipment and training), and how many countries participate?

The bigger issue is the horse though - they need to be transported in special planes all over the world. I'm sure they are treated well, but it doesn't really seem like something that would be traumatic for the animals.

Also, golf would be another one where you can win without being fit. There are certainly some strong golfers, but there are a lot of chubby golfers and guys that don't look particularly fit too.

2. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

my beef with a sport involving horses is that the horse gets much of the physical strain yet it gets no medal of recognition
    dressage or equestrian should give the medal to the horse not the human !

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Disgusting and utterly disappointing. Hope they change their minds but never worry; golf is back! (Sarcasum)

4. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Have you seen some of those curlers lately? They're hot!

5. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

What are the 25 sports that are included in the Summer Olys?

One thing to me is that for Oly sports the Olys should be the pinnacle. This was true of wrestling but isn't for all the other sports.

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Aquatics, Archery, Athletics, Badmington, Basketball, Boxing, Canoe/Kayak, Cycling, Equestrian, Fencing, Football (Soccer), Golf, Gymnastics, Handball, Field Hockey, Judo, Rowing, Rugby, Modern Pentathalon, Sailing, Shooting, Table Tennis, Taekwando, Tennis, Triathalon, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Wrestling are what are listed on Olympic.org. This is obviously more than 25.

(It lists 7 winter sports: Biathalon, Bobsled, Curling, Ice Hockey, Luge, Skating, and Skiing.)

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Lots of discussion that Samaranch's son being VP of the modern pentathlon federation (and a member of the IOC) helped keep that sport in. The number of countries who participate in modern pentathlon at the Olympics is a lot fewer than the countries that send wrestlers.

Personally, I never enjoyed watching wrestling and the rules were sort of confusing, so I'm not too upset, but it does seem wrong that one of the original Olympic sports is kicked out like this. I also don't like sports in the Olympics for whom the Olympics isn't really the biggest event. That's why even though I'm a cycling fan, I wouldn't mind if it weren't included.

8. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Not at the professional level. These guys are walking four miles every day, plus swinging the club, lifting weights, etc. What they do isn't an aerobic exercise, but you cannot be out of shape and be a successful pro golfer.

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm just going by the number of golfers I see with noticeable paunches, double chins and flabby arms. I'm not saying it's not hard work, but when I think of an "athlete" golfers are nowhere near the first that come to mind.

Related question - whatever happened to the idea of amateur sport? Is it just too hard to draw a line anymore, now that just about everyone has sponsors, and to be competitive, you pretty much have to train/compete full time?

10. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Modern Pentathlon is also the brainchild of Baron de Coubertin, the father of the modern Olympics. It's going nowhere.

I'll be :drama: if wrestling gets kicked out. It's the only time its socially acceptable to watch sweaty and scantily clad grown men engage in mild frottage on daytime TV. :grope:

11. Skittl1321

Can you name a professional golfer who fits that image? I honestly can't think of one.

I do remember a few curlers with quite the beer bellies though.

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

There is a wrestling program in my area that has produced several Olympic medalists - including some from small towns where wrestling was one of the few sports available or affordable. Obviously I am biased because of this, but wrestling should not be eliminated from the Olympics.

Taekwondo, on the other hand, has had a number of judging skandals over the years, in addition to stuff like this: http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/6608.asp
    It should be kicked out before wrestling is.

13. purple skates

John Daly, but I don't think he was that out of shape in his younger playing days. Of course, he's also not a successful golfer any longer, so there you go.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Apparently some people thought it was the one that was sure to go - this is from a Globe and Mail article in which the Canadian wrestling federation expressed their complete surprise:

Mickelson is in better shape now, but he won a lot of tournaments when he looked like this.

I think this is from around the time O'Meara won the Masters.

Cabrera gets his green jacket here.

And OK this one's kinda funny, but it's not too far from how he looked when he won his two majors.

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I believe this is his hold the PGA Championship Cup, and this is from the British Open that he won.

16. Skittl1321

Thanks for verifying the fat golfers :)

17. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

That says it all. Drop a sport where poorer countries do well and add a sport for the elite.

I hate golf. In my country ancient and beautiful forests have been destroyed to build golf courses for a few hundred wealthy people to play. It depletes the water resources and chemicals must be used to keep the grass green at all seasons. It is a disaster for the environment.

18. purple skates

:rofl: I guess I stand corrected!

I still have a whole lot of respect for golfers, though. All that walking - and carrying your clubs if you are not a pro - plus the mental part of the game! (That said, not sure it should be an Olympic sport.)

19. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

:lol:

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Oh I respect golfers too - the combination of skill, strategy and physical power (I'm talking the kind that hits a ball far, but also the kind that controls exactly where it lands) is marvelous to watch when it's done well.

The other thing that's always interesting to me is that every course is different, and the conditions on that very day, even that very hour, play into the decisions a golfer must make along the way. And this is another reason why golf doesn't work for me as an Olympic sport. What's an Olympic regulation golf course? There are definitely Olys sports affected by weather conditions, but in most cases there are specifics for the physical playing field. But in golf, it varies by length, difficulty, grasses, hazards, links vs non links, etc.

21. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

which is probably why equestrian events are safe, since you need to accommodate for the horses for modern pentathlon anyway.

btw transporting the horses is not a huge issue, people on the top level do that from time to time, the real issue I find is about the heat. Both Sydney, Athens and Beijing had heat issues with horses, I remember in Athens they had huge blocks of ice with fans next to blowing cold air over the horses to cool them down. London was more suited for equine athletes! In addition, Sydney and Beijing had issues with getting the horses into the country, Australia has very strict quarantine rules for any animal, and for Beijing they had to hold the equestrian events in Hong Kong.

Do you ever watch UFC fighting? I understand that it is basically anything goes, but whenever I flip through it on TV it seems to be scantily clad men on the floor grunting and groping each other...

22. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

This is ridiculous - wrestling is Olympic tradition.

So golf brings Olympic sponsors, but now the host must have a world class golf course near the city.

There are plenty of overweight successful professional golfers. In fact, some of them have lost weight and lost their game.

Here's Craig Stadler (affectionately known as the Walrus) when he won the PGA Tour BC Open at age 50:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Jul/24/sp/sp16a.html He won the Masters and 27 other tour events at various lighter weights, but he was never svelte.

A recent photo of Ernie Els: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/R7xOiTrSVHd/Volvo Golf Champions Day Two/0UASmDG-tmG/Ernie Els He's 24th in the World right now.

Carl Pettersson - lost his game when he lost weight; starting winning again when he gained some back. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tour-report-no-34-carl-150302032--golf.html

23. overedge

FWIW rowing has set course lengths, but doesn't recognize world records over those distances because of variables such as weather, wind, water temperature, time of day, etc.
    And that's also why there isn't a podium for medal presentations - everyone stands next to each other on the dock - to recognize the equal effort of all of the competitors.

I know you said that there are definitely other Olympic sports affected by weather conditions, but there are sports other than golf that have figured out ways to at least recognize the potential inequalities.

But I agree with you that golf is not an Olympic sport. It's elitist and it's destructive to the environment. I'm pretty sure that whatever city/country gets to host the first Olympics with golf in it will not have a course that is "acceptable" to the IOC, and will have to custom-build one.

(But I bet there are plenty of IOC board members who would LOVE to go on a "fact-finding tour" and review :bribe: all the possible Olympic golf courses in contention....)

24. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I also would like to remove sports where many of the top competitors choose not to show up because they want to concentrate on other competitions. That means tennis (where Roddick didn't go to London to focus on his ranking), soccer, basketball, and probably golf. I can see many not going because it will conflict with the PGA championships. If the Olympics are not your goal, then it shouldn't be included.

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Oh definitely - I was thinking of rowing, and recently I was looking up 100 metre records and was interested to see that wind conditions were noted for every record. The bigger deal is the course itself though I think.

So on that point, as you said one might have to be built for the Olympics - so who makes the decision as to length, grass, hazards, links vs non links etc so that it's a fair playing field for all competitors?

Someone mentioned this upthread as well - that the Olympic gold medal should be seen as the very pinnacle of the sport. Others where it is not - hockey (sure it means a lot, but for the best players, it's still about winning the Stanley Cup), I think cycling too, and I do agree that in golf, it's going to be one of the majors for most if not all golfers.

I think an Olympic gold medal should mean that at that moment, you are the very best at that sport, and among the best to ever participate in that sport - the Usain Bolts of sport. Because of all the variables in golf, the best man might not be the winner that week. Unfortunately I also don't think that's always the case in skating.

26. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

But I thought in figure skating, Worlds is the pinnacle. And US Nationals.

27. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Only truly fanatical Kwan-ubers think that. ;)

28. overedge

Fair? This is the Olympics. Whoever has the most :bribe: gets to choose whatever will benefit the players from their country or get the most TV ratings establish a course that will challenge all players equally and uphold the great Olympic ideal of sportsmanship.

29. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I'd be gutted if Equestrian was out of the Olympics to be honest I've always liked it as a sport as it is one of the few where men and women are equal.

Wrestling being removed seems so wrong especially since 2004 women have been included in the program. Also there is nothing wrong with Field Hockey either. I don't believe they should add any new sports to the program especially not the ones they're currently considering.

30. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Not even roller skating? I'd love this to be an Olympic sport :watch: