Wrestling Eliminated from Olympics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Feb 12, 2013.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The IOC has voted to eliminate wrestling from the Olympics. To be honest, I am shocked. Wrestling is one of those sports where multiple countries tend to win medals, where many countries, including countries that don't have a ton of money for sports, do well. Why a sport with such a big international rate of participation? If they were going to get rid of something, why not cycling, with its apparently wide-spread doping?

2. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Utterly ridiculous. It's more popular than modern pentathlon in terms of spectator appeal and participation, there haven't been too many doping scandals that I can think of, and it's not dominated by one country. And it's been in the Olympics since Ancient times.

3. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Not that I follow wrestling, but I read this and was completely mystified. Wrestling seems like a quintessential Olympic sport to me. What is this about??

4. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Wrestling is dropped and GOLF is added for 2016? WTF??

5. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

There are some countries that send athletes for only this sport.

6. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

My guess? The bottom line $$$.

What a shame. :(

7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I wonder about cost. Perhaps it's not popular with the broadcasters (but then again, if you don't show it, it's not going to be popular), or ticket sales are an issue (but aren't Olys tickets often sold in blocks with multiple events?), but as for staging it, I would think it's among the least expensive sports. It doesn't require a dedicated facility, and the only staging is the flooring, no? No equipment costs, no lights/sound (ie skating, gymnastics), no facilities management (ie snow sports), etc.

The whole thing sounds rather arbitrary to me, and the one criteria that should be most important (although I recognize issues of cost, revenues etc must be considered) is the original ideal of the Olys: higher, faster, stronger. I'm no wrestling fan, but there are a lot of events I'd ditch before it.

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

I would have thought they would axe Taekwondo before Wrestling but then again it is good to have a string sponsor like Samsung on your team. Really sad day for Olympics program.

9. BlueRidge

Maybe that's it? Not the cost of staging but the lack of sponsorship interests?

10. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I don't watch wrestling, and I'm not hugely invested in the summer Olympics, and I'm still shocked and kind of angry about this.

11. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

That's what I meant by the bottom line. Sure wrestling might not cost much to put on, but it probably isn't bringing in much revenue either. Nor would it bring the kind of revenue some of these new Olympic sports are going to bring in. Golf pretty much comes with big name stars built in. This amounts to increase ticket sales, publicity, sponsorship opportunities and other revenue they just weren't getting with wrestling.

12. BlueRidge

That makes sense. But. Golf. is. not. an. Olympic sport! :drama:

(Nothing against golf, neither is baseball!)

13. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Wrestling has no shortage of sponsors but non of them are IOC sponsors, i think wrestling has any sponsors issue at all, I would surely like them to publish IOC findings and what lead to this IOC decision. A big giant like Samsung surely can save Taekwondo, otherwise it make no sense... a sport which had to limit the number of entries in the sport per country so that a country outside of south korea will get a sniffing chance at the gold medal. Teakwondo usually has more controversial decision can think... this is IOC at its worst behaviour...

14. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

It's one of the sports that has its roots in the Ancient Greek Olympics! Really bad decision!

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Everything I have read says that wrestling will be judged against the sports looking to gain entry into the Olympics, so it is highly unlikely, but it supposedly could still be in.

I wonder is female participation part of the decision? That seems to be the reason to keep cycling (which is a ridiculously doped sport, and doping was supposedly part of the decisions- it seems most of the females ride clean.)

Locally, wrestling is HUGE- so people are really up in arms. But I find it kind of funny, because during the Olympics there were these massive campaigns about the rules- because it isn't the kind of wrestling done around here.

16. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I don't get this. Not only do a lot of countries participate in the sport, a lot of countries actually do well in it on an Olympic level. I don't follow it outside the Olympics but unlike a lot of those other "mat sports", I understand what is going and why a competitor scored a point.

17. GarrAarghHrumph

I've also read that it would be nearly impossible for it to get back in so soon after being cut.

18. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

I'm someone who is not very interested in wrestling, never watched it, and is still pissed at this decision. I'm sorry, some events must remain sacred when it comes to the Olympics regardless of how popular they are, and to me those include sprinting, marathon, swimming, weight lifting and yes, wrestling. I mean really??? They keep field hockey and cancel wrestling??? What a bunch of morons. Everyone voting probably just went with sport their country is least likely to medal at or which brings in the least amount of money

Just reading about the voting process makes you realize how stupid it was. Good job IOC, way to alianate nations with barely any sporting legacy besides wrestling.

I'm kind of shocked at how angry this news made me :shuffle:

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Again, if it's not popular enough then maybe the IOC and their broadcasters need to put more effort into promoting it, and educating Olys fans on its finer points.

I for one would rather see more medal events and less heats and qualifying rounds, which would give opportunities to more sports to get recognition.

20. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Shooting.

21. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I can't stand wrestling and you could probably not pay me to watch it but it is one of the ancient Olympic sports, isn't it? This seems completely wrong. People win Olympic medals for riding horses and shooting guns but wrestling doesn't fit the bill? I guess I am part of the problem by not caring about the sport but it isn't as if I can EVER remember seeing it on television and I watch everything that is on during the Olympics.

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I do wonder about sports that are more about accuracy than athleticism and the higher/faster/stronger motto. I always liked the combined event of cross country skiing and shooting, but for other shooting events, what's next? Darts? Billiards? Horseshoes?

I realize there's a lot of skill involved and some level of specialized fitness, but anything where you can compete at a high level and still be out of shape doesn't seem to fit into the spirit of the Olympics to me. (I'm looking at you, curling!)

23. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

WTF, one of the original ancient Olympic sports taken out ! :mad:

why cant they remove ping pong, equestrian, handball , shooting and dressage !!

24. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Washington Post Article

25. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

26. skipaway

A form of full contact Martial Arts.

Wushu

Do we not already have enough MA sports in the Olympics?

27. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

sailing?

28. skipaway

Interesting guess Darrell. :lol:

29. GarrAarghHrumph

It just makes no sense to me that they'd eliminate a sport that is so, in a way, egalitarian. Many, many nations do well in this sport, even nations that have very few, if any, other elite athletes compete at the elite level in wrestling.

The sport, relative to many, costs very little to get involved in, and it has such a long history. That it was even one of the finalists to be eliminated shocked me. Then to learn that it had been chosen for elimination!

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  30. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Skate America! Go!

of those listed, I only see wrestling and sport climbing as good Olympic sports. Karate or Wushu would be fine if they chuck taekwondo - but I think you can only have so many martial arts, and wrestling seem to be very basic to me.

Shooting and possible curling is the only sport where I think you can participate and 'not be fit' as someone said. If you think you can do equestrian or Ping-Pong without being fit you will be sorely mistaken.

I would personally be very sad if they remove equestrian, as I am a rider myself, but on the other hand, it is an extremely elitist sport (top horses can run in double digit millions, you will most likely need a sponsor good sponsor. Very few ride on their own horses, though some do), it is almost always the same 4-5 nations on top, with about a 7-10 nation spread for all the disciplines together. It would be extremely hard for any nation to start a program for this, it is just so damn expensive, and so hard to get good training opportunities.
    In addition, it can be a real headache for the organizers, it is a very expensive event to put on.
    It is, however, an excellent para Olympic sport, and that might be why it is pretty safe. Is wrestling possible at the para Olympics?