Wowie kazowie! Check out Evening w Champs Lineup!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by snoopysnake, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Thank you! Were you able to get the Shibutani's also?

2. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Plus, they seem to have been allergic to your end of the rink! :lol:

4. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Poor Bennett Gottlieb was misidentified as a girl by Peggy Fleming. Later Peggy introduced "Cure-an Oil" when Curran Oi was about to skate. (One personal gripe, which Peggy probably had nothing to do with - they did not identify Curran as a freshman at MIT. I yelled out "MIT Rocks" after he skated.) Curran did the Aerosmith number that he skated at the MITFSC show in March.

Judy Sladky was wearing a jacket with a huge Snoopy on the back and a small Woodstock on the front. snoopysnake likes!

Peter Carruthers' Dick Button impersonation was spot on and first-rate. Sounds just like him, and Dick warned Peter that he might not be around much longer if he keeps doing it!

Paul and Dorothy enjoyed themselves so much; it was really a treat to see their heartfelt smiles, not to mention their middle-aged but form-perfect skating. My favorite number other than them was the Shibutani's.

DH took a lot of photos, for which I hope to post links in a week or so.

After the show the younger skaters were having a lot of fun fooling around before and after press photos of the whole skating and non-skating cast were done. Ross Miner, Jason Wong, and Mark Ladwig were practicing pair throws. I think Amanda's job's in no jeopardy!

Janet Lynn and Paul Wylie got the biggest cheers of the "older generation." She did not have skates on but looked radiant in a turquoise coat about the color of this smilie :D (Watch out, Janet, snoopysnake shares not just your first name and middle name with an extra 'e,' but these days your clothing size too. snoopysnake would like to wear that coat!)

A sweet moment was seeing Tai and Randy and JoJo and Ken skating pairs side by side in the intro, which to my delight was Emerson Lake and Palmer's version of "Fanfare for the Common Man." DH got a very good photo of that.

A note of good wishes from Scott Hamilton was read. He could not be at the show due to a family obligation, but he expressed appreciation for the tradition of the show and its role in helping to fight cancer.

It was not a full house, which was a shame since this was quite an extensive gathering of skating greats. I hope it gets good coverage in IFS and/or Blades on Ice, and that some TV outlet will air the program.

5. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I believe the name of this move is appropriately named 'the headbanger'

6. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

literaryfreak, I forgot to ask you to take a vid of Curran Oi. :( Does anyone who was at the show remember what he skated to?

7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I wondered if Peggy had trouble reading the cue cards due to poor lighting. There were a few other stumbles on Friday and she could never get passed pronouncing Hingham until Dick came and rescued her.

Also, thank you and smurfy for identifying Judy Sladky for me! I'm off to watch some of their dances on youtube.

8. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Thank you for all the reports! I'm glad to hear the show was great and also that Amanda & Mark skated so well and were well received there. :cheer:

9. snoopysnake

Her maiden name was Schwomeyer, so you will see that name in some of the history too. Sladky was her first husband, but they eventually divorced. She had Charles Schulz give her away at her wedding to her current husband, and had a Belle and Snoopy bride and groom on top of their wedding cake. This topper she donated to the Peanuts Collector Club for one of their convention auctions, which benefit Canine Companions, Schulz's favorite charity. My fiance and I bought it at the auction and had it on our wedding cake at our wedding.

10. snoopysnake

"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith

11. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Thanks! I miss seeing Curran on the competitive scene. :(

12. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

floskate and (deleted member) like this.
  13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Judy Sladky also is and has always been the Alice Snuffleupagus character on Sesame Street.

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Judy_Sladky

It's no wonder that she is fond of Snoopy. She played Snoopy in numerous shows, including the Snoopy Musical on ice. For non Snoopy fans, Snoopy has always skated, played hockey, driven the zamboni and was also Peppermint Patty's skating coach.

snoopysnake and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I had no idea Jason's changed his mind about competing. Very happy to hear that & looking forward to seeing him skate next season!

Thank you for posting the link, Sylvia.

16. Sylvia

You're welcome!
    Great to hear because with his 10th place finish at Nationals, I think he has a realistic shot at getting his first Senior B international assignment (not counting his recent collegiate international experiences).

17. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I take it Nancy K was a no show (understandably)?

18. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Nancy was not at the Fri pm show.

19. snoopysnake

Nor Saturday's show. I noticed that her name was on and off the website roster in the months and weeks leading up to the show. Perhaps she did hope to be able to attend, but I suppose with the recent new developments in her brother's indictment, she needs to be out of the spotlight. I thought of her during the show and prayed that she's coping well.

20. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

Does anyone have video of the Tai/Randy and JoJo/Ken Shelley segment? I saw the still photos but would love the see the real thing.

21. Sylvia

More EWC photos: http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/reports/2010-ewc/

Cool story from the captions re. Dick Button, John Misha Petkevich, and Paul Wylie:

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I was aware of the story; but, didn't know that Paul was the current owner.
    That's wonderful!

Thanks to "frogsonice" for the photographs and report, also.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  23. Sylvia