Wowie kazowie! Check out Evening w Champs Lineup!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by snoopysnake, Jan 26, 2010.

1. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

2. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Great skaters, but I wonder about Nancy right now?

3. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Well, the show is April 16 & 17th. I would expect she'd be able to skate by then.

4. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

deleted, sorry wrong thread

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I'm glad they asked Amanda & Mark to do this show again. They've been great to them the past few years when they were more unknown and now people will actually know a little more about them after the Olympics. I wish I could get there for the show but I'll settle for some videos if anyone else is going. Great cast! :cheer:

6. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

I really wish I could go to this!!

7. Kelleys6th

Kelleys6th Active Member

This will be the first year in a long time that the Protopopov's won't skate. I wonder if they will be there anyway?
    Any news on Oleg?

:cat:

8. snoopysnake

Lots of changes to the skaters' lineup since I first posted. There is a new update, though, adding the local skaters (Curran Oi! Yes!!!!) and some exciting additions to the special non-skating guests (including the legendary Janet Lynn.)

I do hope my friend Judy Sladky is going to dress up as Snoopy. Maybe I'll wear my special Snoopy hat! Hope DH and I will get some good photos on Saturday.

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~ewc/performers.htm

9. icecat

icecat Active Member

Nice that they are letting Jessica Lin skate for one performance. She's a lovely skater, lots of poise and presentation. One of those unfortunate ladies that came down with the flu at NE Regionals. Looking forward to seeing Curran and Brittney again, miss seeing them on the ice at SCOB.
    Outstanding that so many "icons" are making it in forthe 40th anniversary. Can't wait to see what SCOB comes up with for Ice Chips 100th Anniversary in 2 years.

10. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I had rather see the nonskating guests skate, including dick and peggy. Wonder why no Michelle, she's in Mass?

11. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Maybe she's super-busy at school?

12. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

Maybe she does not want to skate. Also, based on her schedule of appearances, it's likely she had something else to do - or gasp, attend class.

13. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

Does "special guest" mean that they're not skating?

14. snoopysnake

I think so; I suppose some of them could conceivably skate onto the ice but I don't think they are performing. Tenley Albright was there a few years ago and stepped on the ice with skates on to receive a bouquet of flowers. It's more likely to be a red carpet on the ice kind of thing.

It has occurred to me that Michelle Kwan could certainly be part of the special guests group, as she did perform in this show as a young teenager. Maybe she has schedule conflicts, or is just trying to lay low from skating at the present time. Hope she might be there as a last-minute addition!

15. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Oh gosh, Amanda & Mark, NavBoms, Melissa & Denis....that whole cast is wonderful! I wish I could go but I'll just have to look forward to pictures and videos from anyone else who is lucky enough to go. Have a great time! :cheer:

16. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

i wish i could go.. it sounds amazing!!

17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the weather is partly to blame for this, but the arena was only about 1/3 full for Friday's show. Dick Button did part of the introductions/MC'ing and was in rare form.

"I was taking to my old friends Kitty and Peter Carruthers. Yes, old friends. They're old; I'm not."
    Peggy talking about working with Dick at ABC over the years. "You have a passion for the sport like no one else."
    Dick "Yes, but you have the legs for it."

Something was wrong with the sound system for the better part of the first half of the show, so we couldn't really hear what was being said. Case in point, they were talking to one of the guests of honor who was very funny and at one point referred to herself as 'an old ice dancer', but I couldn't hear what else she said.

Onto the actual skating...Brittany Rizzo and Curran Oi did a cute "pairs" number to Sweet Caroline, The Dropkick Murphys and a few other 'greatest sports hits in Boston' that actually worked well and had some good footwork, spins and none of the odd 'what do I do now while she's spinning?' moments that I've seen in other programs like it.

Gretchen Donlan and Andrew Speroff did a very nice program to Bohemian Rhapsody -the original Queen version, for a change. He actually 'dies' during the 'Mama, I just killed a man' part, but then she prods him back to life. Great lifts and a nice throw 2 sal.

Jason Wong has a new (to me!) exhibition to American Pie that was very musical and had quite a bit of content, including two 2 axels and a 3sal. He fell on the sal, but who cares when the rest of his skating is so nice!

Both pairs teams Zhang/Toth and Evora/Ladwig skated well. Zhang and Toth in particular look ready to move up to seniors, with excellent ice coverage, nice lines and sbs 2 axels and a throw 3sal -all under spotlights.
    Evora & Ladwig skated to On My own from Les Mis with a split 3twist and throw 3 loop (both very nice). They had a weird problem with their last back press lift, but laughed it off -literally- and got a warm reception.

E/L were cute in the closing number where Mark forgot they're supposed to do a highlight move and started skating off while Amanda was at center ice waiting for him to come back. Which he did, picked her up into a quick Detroiter and Amanda sold the exit out of that like nobody's business =).

Shibutanis and Navarro/Bommentre looked great & you can really hear the difference between ice dancers's edges and the other skaters when you sit close to the ice. Sad this is probably the last time I'll see Kim & Brent skate :(, but Give Me One Reason to Stay Here is a very good program for them.

The Hughes sisters were both there, but Emily looked out of it in her second number (Can't take my eyes off you), catching her heel on her 2axel and stumbling while stroking around at least twice. Her first program went much better and I have to say her spirals are impressive up close. Gorgeous free leg extension and tons of speed. Very nice spins, as well. Sarah only skated in the group numbers to open and close the show, but she seems to be in much better shape than when she was doing SOI.

Dorothy Hammil and Paul Wylie did a pairs number of their own to close the show...

Oh, and 3 of the ensemble girls from Ice Theatre of New York skated to an instrumental version of Fix You by Cold Play. One of them was Alizah Allen whom I hadn't seen in years, but she still has the same beautiful edges. All three of them were great skaters actually and I thought the program was very effective without any jumps or spins.

Will try to post some of the videos soon, too.

Jason Wong's American Pie Exhibition
    Zhang and Toth

ETA: Nancy was not there on Friday in case anyone is keeping track and they didn't have any videos of her on the scoreboard jumbotron either, which was a little odd since they had some videos of Michelle Kwan who was not there either -nor was she scheduled to attend.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  18. jlai

jlai Title-less

Thanks for the report!

19. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Just got home. Great show.
    Sound system was bad. in the beginning lots of skaters on skates got intros including JoJo Starbuck & Ken Shelley, Tai & Randy, Kitty and Peter Carruthers. The lighting was really strange - probably for the filming, but could not always see everyone.
    Sarah Hughes was also in the beginning group, looking quite slim.
    Standing on the ice for intros was Tenley Albright, Dick, Peggy, Janet Lynn and I think Suna Murray (who got big cheers).
    Then between skaters when Dick and Peggy were chatting, one time - Judy Sladky who later on was Snuffelupagus on Sesame St and spoke in that voice.
    Yasmin Siraj skated - very impressive - was at Ice Chips last week and nice to see again, she has a great presence.
    Gregory and Petukhov were there, looking good, and it is the 6th time I have seen the program where their costumes light up.
    Emily is the only one to do 2 programs. Seems like she had too much energy and made mistakes, but she just laughed them off.
    Love Felicia and Taylor - so cute and so promising.
    Ice Theatre of Ny - mesmerizing program, just lovely
    Team Excel - Synchro to Riverdance/Lord of the Dance and Enya type music, really cool, and usually Synchro does not thrill me. Their costumes were pretty.
    NavBoms - looked good, and yes probably last time to see them, which is sad. They always just look like they love what they do.
    Evora & Ladwig, saw them during the break and said they were competing next season - yea. I have seen them at a few Skate Americas, and they seem more confident, what a great season they had.
    Shibutanis - so so cute and impressive
    Dorothy and Paul - so wonderful to see. Every year when Paul hosts this event, he is on skates, but does not skate a program which is a dissappointment, they were great together.
    Great show, almost want to go back Sat pm, but it is a 2 hr drive each way.

Kamey and (deleted member) like this.
  20. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I will be going tonight - any requests for videos?

21. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Everyone???? Ha ha.

Shibutani's and NavBom please!

22. literaryfreak

Lol, I don't think my camera has that much space, to record everyone. I've found it's difficult to really watch and take video at the same time, so I can't promise full-length vids, but I can take small clips of some performances.

23. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

NavBoms I can help with...I was afraid my battery would die before the end of the night, so I didn't get a chance to tape the Shibis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orp4LqFstWc

24. Maggie222

Maggie222 New Member

I would love to see Paul and Dorothy's program.

25. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

FYI, the DVD of the show will be available for sale. Here's the information from the flyer:

"DVDs will feature the best performances from each night and will include all skaters and numbers. DVDs will be ready and sent directly to your homes within five weeks. Please return check and order form to the merchandise [stand] by April 17th or send to the address below by April 20th. Please make check payable to Daval Video Productions

$33.50 per DVD copy

Daval Video Productions
    362 Ridge Street
    Arlington, MA 02474
    781-646-5100"

26. Maggie222

Maggie222 New Member

Will this be shown on TV anywhere? Sounds like a wonderful program!!

27. literaryfreak

Last night's show was fantastic. I hadn't realized how many big stars would be there, even if quite a few of them didn't skate.

Highlights:

Dick and Peggy talked in the beginning and did the whole "but Peggy has better legs" things, rofl.

Jason Wong performed his American pie exhibition, as he did last weekend at Ice Chips, and I am definitely an uber. Even his falls are smooth. His jumps look like they get so many rotations in the air. He doesn't do a quad, does he?

Bennett Gotlieb did "Shout" and it was really cute. Whoever it was that introduced Jessica Lin (I think it was Dick Button) said she was in 3rd grade - they had to correct it later that she's in 7th.

Emily Hughes did well - I think I was sitting behind her parents because they kept clapping wildly every time she jumped and had their hands clenched for the rest of her two programs. They were really cute actually. Emily had a huge "E" on her sweater - maybe so people would remember which Hughes sister she is. ;)

The Shibutanis are absolutely lovely to watch live - I just love their flow and edges. Maia has a lovely arch in her back during the lifts too. They did "La Vie en Rose" by Louis Armstrong, shows off their skating so well. I didn't find the height difference that distracting, but I think I've also grown used to it. I had the chance to talk to Maia after the show (she is so sweet!) and asked her if they would be moving up to Seniors next year - she said they have to talk it over with their coach, so either they haven't decided or don't want anyone to know just yet. ;)

Gregory/Petuhkov was definitely a ?? number for me, with the light-up costumes and weird music. There was some cool choreography in there with top hats, however.

Navarro/Bommentre, oh how I will miss them. They too have such a nice flow and are so smooth live. I just love how accessible their numbers always are.

Castelli/Shapnir - these two are lovely too. They have this one move, however, that made the entire audience gasp in fright - I don't know what it's called, but it's where the guy holds onto the girl's feet and is swinging her up and down while he rotates. This move always makes my heart stop but they did a version where he swings her really high up in the air then really low. Seeing pairs moves live is absolutely frightening, at least for me.

Evora/Ladwig. I saw them at Skate America in November and really liked them there, and I think their skating looks even better now. I think a hush almost fell over the crowd during their number (or it might be all in my head, lol). Perhaps it is the confidence from such a wonderful year. Amanda especially looked like she was shining.

Dorothy and Paul - I can't believe these two are actually still skating. Dorothy did some lovely spins, Paul did a jump or two and his spread eagle.

It was a great show (more enjoyable than SOI and only $8). I took some videos that I'll put when I get the time.

Kamey and (deleted member) like this.
  28. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

Thanks for the review literaryfreak! I would of loved to have gone, but it would have been a 3 hour drive each way! I thought Scott Hamilton was supposed to be there according to the flyers, but no one has mentioned him...I''m guessing he was not there?? Would of loved to see Dorothy & Paul's program!!

29. literaryfreak

They mentioned that Scott couldn't make it.

I have a video of Dorothy and Paul's number on my camera but I believe ioana's video is better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFRZhPobYFU&feature=player_embedded

30. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. Dorothy and Paul were great! (Although I didn't care for her costume!)