Wow...the Muppets have gone...distrubing

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Apr 1, 2010.

1. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

2. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

No, I thought it was cute and it actually put a smile to my face.

3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Little Bunny Foo-Foo revisited. I love the Muppets.

4. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I always thought the original muppets were pretty twisted at times, so that seemed bizarre, but not so completely unlike the muppets.

5. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

just curious, but what's the "disturbing part"? Is the monster not suppose to eat bunnies, but have a desk job filing paperwork at the DMV instead? Is it suppose to be "normal" like a girl with a stepmom who's trying to kill her, so she lives with midgets in the woods until she goes into a coma after eating poisoned fruit?

6. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

haha, I liked the singing from the stomach.

7. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

8. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

9. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Those were the proto-muppets by Jim Henson.

10. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Hate to break it to you, but that IS from the creative mind of Jim Henson. One of his first jobs was to do commericals like this, using his puppet creations of the time. Rowlf the dog and Kermit seem to be the only characters to have continued on past this point in Henson's career. Rowlf actually had a role in the Jimmy Dean show. Another early job for Henson was a show called Sam and Friends.

Here's a Sam and Friends clip.

And you'll notice a lot of other old, pre-Sesame Street and pre-Muppet Show clips from the early to mid 1960's on the right hand side of the screen, courtesy of Jim Henson.

11. slicekw

slicekw Poster of Pet Vines

Right from the beginning on Sesame Street we knew that muppets that were eaten were not necessarily dead. We know muppets blow things up and do other chaotic things, but never with serious consequences. Because it's PRETEND.

For those of us who watched Tom and Jerry and Bugs Bunny pre-sanitization and were not ruined from seeing them, the Muppets may be the last place we can still see some of that silliness without someone PCing it to death. I miss a lot of that spurious violence that we knew wouldn't work in the real world. It was a good outlet.

We miss ya, Jim. Glad your stuff is in good hands.

12. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet New Member

A hungry monster that happens to like lapin is not strange. However he should consider adding a nice chasseur sauce it really livens up the meal.

13. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

<snort> Jim Henson really died way too young. But I, too, am glad there are some equally crazy dudes holding down the fort, though none could perhaps be as creative and there will never be another Jim Henson/Frank Oz with the special friendship/comedy team they had.

14. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Did you watch the Sci-Fi TV show Farscape? It had lots of 'muppet-like' aliens created by the Henson's Studio.

15. icecat

icecat Active Member

Henson made over 179 10 sec spots for Wilkins coffee and Tea between 1957 and 1961
    Don't forget the Henson spots on the first few seasons of SNL, too. Hysterical!
    "Come with us now to the bubbling tarpits to the sulfurous wasteland; from the rotting forest to the stagnant mudflats, to the Land of Gorch!" Scred and the Mighty Favog...must have been about '75 or so...ah memories!

16. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

The chaotic silliness was the best part of Tom & Jerry and Bugs Bunny. My nieces don't like Tom & Jerry. At first I was confused then I realized they had been ruined by a PC squad. I don't blame my nieces for not liking the ruined versions of them.

17. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Me, too! I felt much better knowing the bunnies were down there and still alive, lol! :lol:

18. Karina1974

OK, I just got to watch this for the first time, and it is pretty standard for the Muppets. Something like the old Sam and Friends routine Henson did with his version of Hitchcock being interviewed on "Poison to Poison" (as opposed to "Person to Person"), and the comments about his armchair that was "made out of real arms." The Hitchcock Muppet was sitting in a chair made to look as though it was made of Muppet arms. Unfortunately, I can't find a YouTube clip for this. It was included in the Great Performances (PBS) documentary The World of Jim Henson.

BTW, Jim Henson was calling his company Muppets Incorporated, at the time he was making the TV commercials, as can be seen in this video. This is most definitely pre-Sesame Street (which went on the air in 1969).

19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I must have watched all the wrong Tom & Jerrys, because they always bored me half to death. I adore Looney Tunes and the Muppets, though.

mpal2 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. backspin

backspin Active Member

21. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Lol!!! So funny! Who was the celeb in the skit? Marisa Berenson maybe?

22. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

23. Karina1974

I grew up in the 1970's and '80's, at the apex of Henson's popularity, with Sesame Street and the Muppet Show, and the first Muppet movies. It is my feeling that kids today need a lot more Jim Henson-style entertainment, and a lot of the brainless entertainment that is unfortunately popular today. That was one of the reasons that Barney disgusted me so, because I feel that shows like that really insult kids' intelligence. Mine would certainly have been insulted, if I had been young enough to be in the target audience when that show came out.

24. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

More reasons The Muppets rule!

Kids shows these days are rubbish. Barney has to be the worst thing ever to hit the TV, it treats all children like they're idiots... What happened to the Acme atomic bomb home kit and desintegrating pistol, and to the days that a cat wanting to eat a mouse was considered normal?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    Karina1974 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

As the sister of a mentally handicapped person, I despise using the phrase 'retards' as a putdown.

Back to topic - I showed this clip to my 14 year old son and his friends - they liked it. It also made me go look for "Furry Happy Monsters" with the Muppets and REM - good times. :)

26. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:respec:

27. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Yes, it was Marisa. Good catch.

28. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Sorry, I admit to a poor choice of words here... I've edited my post

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

30. Karina1974

^^^Is it any wonder that it was part of the Sesame Street generation that invented mosh-pit dancing? They were influenced by dancing Muppets!