Worst Olympic/Worlds performances ever

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by AlexDSSF, Dec 6, 2013.

1. miki88

miki88 New Member

Kim made a major mistake in the short and wasn't perfect in the long either. Her performances also lacked the usual spark probably due to the injury. The results were so close because no one was perfect at the competition. Nakano had the cleanest performances to the naked eye but she had a lot of URs, which are heavily penalized under this system. To me, Mao and Nakano gave the most inspiring performances at that Worlds. Despite the big fall in the LP, Mao got up and delivered the rest of the program quite well. The results were close but I felt it was the right winner in the end. Can't say the same about the other medalists. This was the competition that I felt Kostner was the most generously scored.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  2. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

That was worth watching just for the music and choreography! Oh, and the periwinkle jumpsuit....
    Gotta love the 80s.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Viktor Petrenko's LP at the 1989 worlds

4. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

She fell on her triple flip; the program was a step forward in terms of artistry and presentation.

5. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

Patrick Chan's SP in Vancouver. Three falls, and he still had a personal best!

6. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

No, Chan fell once and score 81.15 - well below his personal best at the time which 88+ he received at the 2009 4 Continents Championships.

7. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Laetitia Hubert 1992 Albertville Olympics

8. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

True for her LP, which is mostly what people remember. But her SP was spectacular. :saint:

9. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

Very depressing performance. Especially since she was being touted that year as a Bronze contender, after beating Lipinski at Lalique and winning her first French championship. I can only imagine that she was distressed after her poor showing in the short. But I was also thrilled by her strong performance at Worlds that year! :saint:

In any case, as a big fan of Hubert, I'm happy that she was able to go to four Olympics, which is a rare achievement.

10. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

I think a change in hair style made her look much better too.

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

But I'm so sad she didn't manage to win a World medal :( Afterall, she finished 4-times in the top 6 at Worlds !

ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. flippy

flippy Member

Lu Chen's mess up (due to injury and coaching issues?) at 1997 Worlds was staggering, but so was her comeback. She clawed her way into earning China a spot at the 1998 Olympics (Nebelhorn?), then clawed her way through the Olympic short program, and then was absolutely brilliant in the long....bronze medal....with the lovely Butterfly Lovers, iirc.

13. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Chan did not have a fall in the short program at the 2010 Olympics. However, he did get a 1.00 defection for a time violation.