Worst Olympic/Worlds performances ever

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by AlexDSSF, Dec 6, 2013.

1. AlexDSSF

AlexDSSF Member

I've seen Alissa Czisny's 2012 Worlds FS a number of times on YouTube, and her injury notwithstanding, I've never seen a skater in any discipline at an Olympics or Worlds have as disastrous a campaign: 2 falls in the short, and 5 falls in the free. The closest that I can think of was Laëtitia Hubert back at Albertville 1992, when she followed a surprisingly solid short with a meltdown in the free, though she didn't fall as much as Alissa did 20 years later. This got me thinking: excluding on-ice disaster/withdrawals such as Mandy Wötzel/Ingo Steuer at Lillehammer 1994 and Yuliya Obertas/Dmytro Palamarchuk at 2000 Worlds, what other disastrous performances at the Olympics and Worlds does anyone recall? By "disastrous", I don't mean a popped jump here or a fall on a twizzle/sit spin there. I mean an epic meltdown in the same vein as Alissa's, irrespective of the skater's talent level or reputation. Because as much as we talk about the greatest performances on the sport's biggest stages, there are many that are the complete reverse. Such performances can be attributed to injuries, lack of training, lack of mental preparation, and just plain ineptitude.

2. miki88

miki88 New Member

Kostner's Olympic programs comes to mind, especially Vancouver ones. Hope she has better performances this time around.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Kurt Browning's Lillehammer short program.

4. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

I have never actually seen this, but I am hazarding Bechke and Petrov at the 1992 Worlds. Historically they tended to be clean in the short and then Elena would melt down in the long. But here they were 6th after the short (an unprecedented low for them) but finished 4th after the free skate. It was likely that the pressure of being an Olympic silver medalist got to Elena. Does anyone recall seeing them at 1992 worlds? Sadly their performances are not up online.

5. Dolore

Dolore New Member

Brian Joubert's Vancouver Performance. And maybe Jeremy Abott too.

6. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

The 2006 Olympics Original Dance. :yikes::scream::wall::drama:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

2006 Olympics ladies free program...

8. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

Cohen 2006 Olympics & Worlds
    Kostner 2006 Olympics, 2009 Worlds, 2010 Olympics
    Joubert 2010 Olympics

9. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

As much as I adore her - Laetitia Hubert's FS in Nagano made her Albertville FS look like nothing. She simply gave up. It made her strong performances at Worlds that year all the more sweet! :)

ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I agree with Kostner and I don't remember Joubert…but Cohen's is an overstatement. Were both of her LP performances not clean? Yes. However, I still think her 2006 Olympic LP performance was probably one of her best performances in terms of emotion and her elements outside the first two jumping passes were great. She also won the SP. As for Worlds…her SP was great and although her LP was worse than Torino, it was still medal-worthy.

I also think the poster stating Abbott's Vancouver performance is an overstatement as well. It was an unfortunate performance (both SP and LP although the LP wasn't too bad) but it's far from the worst ever.

I mean the thread title makes me think of Bobek in Nagano or Kostner at 2009 Worlds and in Vancouver.

11. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Bin Yao and his partner back in the day come to mind!

12. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Carolina Kostner EPIC meltdowns in 2009 worlds and 2010 Olympics free skates

one was worst than the other

:(

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, about french skaters, we can say Vanessa Gusmeroli had some meltdown too...(1998 Worlds, 2002 Olympics ???)

14. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

Kerrigan's 1993 worlds LP! Can't believe I forgot about that one.
    Brasseur in Albertville was also pretty bad.

15. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

16. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Elena/Anton's 1997 worlds LP wasn't pretty.

17. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Laura Lepisto 2007 Skate Canada FP.

18. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

It wasn't their fault but when Marie-Claude Savard-Gagnon and Luc Bradet caught the flu at the 1998 Olympics and could hardly get through their long program. KVDP landed a lot of jumps in Vancouver but watching him trying to get through the back half of his LP without running out of gas was also painful.

19. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Miki at the Torino Games.
    Oda's 2010 Worlds SP (failed to qualify for freeskate).

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

If Grand Prix counts, then Caroline Zhang at SA this year during the free was incredibly hard to watch. :(

21. duane

duane New Member

This is the 1st one that came to mind for me (he singled a DOUBLE axel for heavens sakes!), but I agree with Nancy's 1993 Worlds LP as the top choice. It's a cringe-to-watch performance (and I didn't see it when it actually happened, as I wasn't a FS fan at the time).

22. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Nicole Bobek in Nagano. 0 for 2 in triples in the short, stepped out of 2 Axel, and 1 for 5 in the long. Ironically, the only triple she completed at that Olympics was the loop, which she had trouble with for most of the prior year. Her LP seemed really empty IMO, so it looked like she was just skating from one failed jump to the next. Other than a well timed and executed spiral, it was sort of a bunch of nothing.

Add to the tired old music, and the dresses which were always exquisitely designed from the waist up only, and it was one of the biggest Olympic messes. (For some reason, her dresses were cut on the bottom sides like a pair of high on the hip '80's panties with a tiny flap just covering the crotchal region, and a floppy tail of an afterthought in the back. Other than that, they were beautiful.)

23. VIETgrlTerifa

So true. Her LP that year was boring and seemed sort of common for a skater whose charisma people just loved. I always liked the design of Nicole's dresses, even if they all looked the same to me, but her skirts tended to ruin the look.

24. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny Weir - Torino free skate, he had a beautiful short program and was in second place before missing jumps in the free skate and falling to 6th place.

25. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

It gets even worse if you watch the Eurosport version. One of the guys had this to say: "A fine girl, very popular with her friends, but this was pretty awful, I'm afraid". Poor Nicole, she had two pretty good performances at Nationals that year.

26. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Domina Shablin OD at the 2010 Olympics has to be the worst thing I've ever seen on ice, the only thing that comes close is their FD. That was pretty terrible too.

27. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Any skater who comes last has the worst performance. That is why they are last.

28. VIETgrlTerifa

What if the skater performs well and up to his or her ability but still places lower than a "great skater" who pops and falls all over the place due to differences in skill?

29. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

This would be the only category Alissa has won Worlds in.

30. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Member

Scott Davis, 1994 Olympics. Big disappointment in the freeskate.

Jill Trenary, 1989 Worlds. IIRC, she had to skate right after Midori Ito's incredible performance. It was not pretty.

Kerrigan in 1993 and Weir in 2006 are also things I'd rather forget ever happened.

The only good things about those programs is that Debi Thomas in 1988 doesn't seem quite so awful in contrast. : /