Worst Hotel Room Ever?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mmscfdcsu, Feb 26, 2011.

1. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I've never stayed in any of the dirtiest hotels in America, thank God, but I'm pretty sure I stayed in the ugliest hotel room in England. Neon mint green walls with gold stenciling, big dark red lampshades shaped like wizard hats, a chandelier full of multicolored glass fruit. :scream:

3. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

The bathroom in the first one is pretty much what my hosts had in Nairobi a year and a half ago. Except instead of the pail they had a sink - with no running water. So if you really needed to flush down the toilet, you walked to the kitchen and grabbed the used kitchen water bucket from there and walked it back.

My first hotel there had a frosted glass window to the hall, so anyone in the hall could see you taking a shower, etc. :shuffle:

4. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

when my buddies and i went backpacking through europe, seeing which hotel/hostel was worst than the previous was actually pretty exciting. lol. created tons of funny moments/stories we'll tell for a lifetime.

one of those things you could only enjoy when you're young, sprightly, and eager to see the world i guess. sighs.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I've always wondered what people are supposed to do when they have, erm, stomach problems and they have to use one of those bathrooms where there is just a hole in the ground. :eek:

6. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

It ain't pretty.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  7. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

You also want to pull up the hems of your pants to avoid splashing.

Another bizarre thing I came across was lining up to pay for toilet paper from a couple of men before going into a public toilet.

8. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I remember having to choose between two hotels in one Nebraska town. The first, a Super 8, had a 2" gap between the bottom of the exterior door and the floor, truckers laughing their way down the hallway at all hours, and large brown stains on the matteress.

The second was in a converted old-age home with ugly flowery decor, matteresses that'd kill even the spryest back, and one towel in the room, although it had been washed, had two of its layers held together by buggers. And it abutted a train line that ran at all hours.

I actually picked option #2. I felt safer there, the place was much quieter, and I since I had to return frequently, I made sure to keep track of which rooms had the better beds, and I always checked the towels before using them. I also learned to request rooms away from the train track.

9. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I stayed in a 4-star hotel in L.A once that only had one working light in it (and you had to walk all the way from the door to the window to turn it on) and a carpet that stuck to my shoes. Outside the window, the trash dumpsters cranked and whirred all night. On my first morning there, the bathroom sink fell off the wall. When I asked at the front desk to be moved, the manager looked at me as if I was crazy and disdainfully allowedthat, while they were fully booked, there might be another room available by afternoon. When I came back after lunch to move to the new room, Maintenence had taped off my old room with yellow hazard tape and wouldn't allow me inside to get my luggage. When I checked out, they tried to charge me extra for the move. They did not succeed.

And we won't go into the resort in Jamaica where the daily noontime rainstorm flooded my room...

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The worst had to be one in Port Hedland, Australia. Everything was covered in grime from the mines and the TV and radio didn't work. Everything was done in various shades of brown and it smelled like disinfectant.

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I love the second video with the TV in the bathroom of the other room !

12. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

Aim dear, aim :lol:

13. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

In Romania, I paid 1USD to use the toilet and all I got was 4 squares of toilet paper. What happens if I need to empty my bowels or if mother nature makes its monthly visit? That is not enough TP.