worst ever freeskate by a leader after the short program

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by gkelly, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Its been mentioned before but Chen at the Champion Series Finale in 1996 was truly disastrous. Afyer leading the short over Chouinard, Slutskaya and Kwan, she landed only 2 triples in the long. Dropped to 5th and 4th overall in a field of maybe 6 or 7 at most.

2. kukkura

kukkura Member

Wegelius tried only one triple (salchow) and missed that. She never landed a clean triple in major championships. No one expected her to win (even if only 4th place in the free was needed) but dropping to 9th was a bit of a surprise.

3. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

1982 World Championships ladies was probably the worst ever final group overall for a long program (Kristiina Wegeius 12th, Debbie Cottrill 17th, Kay Thomson 9th, Elena Vodorezova 8th in the segment).

4. duane

duane New Member

The biggest train wreck that comes to mind is Irina at 1994 Skate America. I don't think I've ever seen so many falls in one program.

And definitely Nancy at 1993 Worlds. You can see the uncertainty in her eyes from the moment she got on the ice. It appears she can't even hold her pose at the beginning of the program, as she's shaking.

5. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

Is there any truth to the rumor that Nancy had an in-grown toe-nail that had to be removed, causing the bad skate? I remember reading that here (or on FS World...) way back when.

6. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

wrong thread

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  7. Clay

Clay Active Member

I'm not sure, but it was hardly a surprise. It was more of a surprise that the competition was so tight that she fell to 9th in the free. Nancy looked just as nervous at US Nationals (visibly shaking before and during her performance) and every fluff piece at the time focused on her increased pressure. The pro/am a few weeks later was just as sad to watch. All of that made the 1993-1994 season stand out even more.

8. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

OMG I totally thought this was the thread with the poll about who had the easiest competition LOL.

9. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

And if you look at Kerrigans performances before you see mostly poor free skates. She was able to medal in 91 and 92 cause others performed even worse, aided with being held up. She also was in the shadow of Harding and Yamaguchi. When Kristi retired, and Harding was an even bigger mess in the 92-93 season, she was not able to sustain being the top US lady expected to win gold. She finally it together her last season as an amatuer though.

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Oh yes ! I had forgotten this one.
    I didn't know Slutzskaya, and was really surprised to see this new name to me in 1st ahead of Michelle and Surya.
    The LP was a disaster !

12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yep, it was those defective figure skates mostly (Frank spoke with TSL about the misaligned blade that was never corrected that season), compounded by her crisis of confidence.

13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I had never seen that one. It was a trainwreck!

14. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Not sure if a video of this exists, but Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin had an uncharacteristically poor long program at 2003 Trophee Lalique after winning the short program. They only placed 4th in the segment (placing behind not only Dan and Hao Zhang but also Tiffany Scott/Philip Dulebohn and Anabelle Langlois/Patrice Archetto), winding up 2nd overall.

15. Nours

Nours Active Member

Their opening falls on the side by side triple salchows was priceless, they both fell totally in synch.
    Marinin said he was ill for the LP and if I remember correctly blamed his roomate for that (should had been Chuviliaev).

16. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

I also watched that live at the Staples and it was just sad, but it was even worst at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics!

I have to add, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze 1997 Worlds debut, they were in third after the short and just had a bad long and went out of the medals

Nancy Kerrigan 1993 LP

I don't recall at the moment a certain competition, but Denis Ten has been in top spots after the SP in many ocasions just to bomb and went down in the standings

17. blue_idealist

Wasn't his 2012 Worlds FS really bad? A fall on every jump or something? (Sorry, I'm referring to Ten.. forgot to mention that lol)

18. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Kostner has delivered some absolutely bombtastic freeskates but I don't think any of them came after leading in the SP. I think there was one where she managed one double axel and maybe one triple? I don't think she did much better at the Olympics.

19. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

20. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Rachael Flatt Skate Canada 2011. Entering the free skate in 3rd place to then place last in the free skate with total score of 128. We had rarely ever seen Rachael flatt fall, but this was a disaster. Only successfully completing one clean triple and a fall on a 2A and 3S
    http://youtu.be/apQXhxLt0CM

21. blue_idealist

Yeah, that one was quite bad.

22. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

That was also the official end of Flatt being a relevant skater.

23. duane

duane New Member

The topic is worst ever free skate by a leader after the short program. :p

24. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yes, but the opening post also suggested that examples of skaters in the top 3 would also be relevant :p

25. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Wow that was even worse then i remember. :eek:

26. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

The comeback free thread reminded me of another one for this thread - poor Joanna Ng at 1992 Worlds, who went from 2nd in the short to 14th overall. She had been badly injured the day of the free program but decided to try to push on and skate. Unfortunately, she showed that she probably was too injured to skate, as she skated very poorly and it was clear she was in pain.