worst ever freeskate by a leader after the short program

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by gkelly, Jun 5, 2013.

1. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Could be a short program winner, or going further back a figures winner, or leader after combined figures+SP or combined qual round + SP.

For pairs, it will just be the short program winner.

Feel free to include skaters who were 2nd or 3rd going into the free but then fell far short of medal contention.

So who started strong and then really bombed the last part of the competition?

Or was lucky to win the earlier round because others bombed, or because that phase especially played to their strengths, but didn't have the overall skill level to maintain the lead even with a relatively successful skate for their level?
    spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

The most disastrous FS I've seen recently was Hae-Jin Kim of Korea two seasons ago. Though most don't pay attention to the JGP, she was leading after the SP but fell four times in the FS and plummeted in the standings. It was pretty sad...
  3. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

In terms of World Championships and/or Olympics:

Men

1984 Olympics: Scott Hamilton
    1986 World Championships: Alexander Fadeev

Ladies

1979 World Championships: Anett Pötzsch
    1982 World Championships: Kristina Wegelius
    1987 World Championships: Kira Ivanova
    1988 Olympics: Debi Thomas
    1990 World Championships: Natalia Lebedeva
    1993 World Championships: Nancy Kerrigan
    1995 World Championships: Nicole Bobek
    2006 World Championships: Sasha Cohen
    2010 World Championships: Mirai Nagasu
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Gold: 2013 Worlds- Patrick Chan
    Silver: 1986 Worlds- Alexander Fadeev
    Bronze: 1990 Worlds- Viktor Petrenko

Ladies:

Gold: 1993 Worlds- Nancy Kerrigan
    Silver: 2006 Worlds- Sasha Cohen
    Bronze: 1979 Worlds- Anett Potzsch
  5. Clay

Clay Active Member

Josee Chouinard, 1996 Canadian Nationals. She was the favorite going in, with no one else to challenge her if she pulled off about 3 triples. She got in one triple: the final triple lutz.
  6. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Josee's skate in 1996 and Kerrigan's skate in 1993 were the two worst.
    For Josee this was a competish she could have even just glossed over on her way to world's and back to 1998 Olympics. Instead, just a flurry of horror.

Kerrigan's was sad for a different reason. The look on her face was as if her entire world was unravelling and she was helpless to fix it. It was a look of sheer bewilderment mixed with panic. You just knew what was going on in her mind.
  7. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap New Member

Nancy's 93 Worlds LP was a hot mess...
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  8. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Laura Lepisto at 2007 Skate Canada
  9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  10. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

Daisuke Takahashi was third after the short at the 2004 Trophee Eric Bompard. He was only able to manage SEVEN points more in the free skate (71 points tells you the quality of the skate), and fell four times. He dropped all the way to 11th (last) place.

Separate discussion, but I can't think of another skater who has had such a close score between segments in one competition since IJS has been around.
  11. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Nancy Kerrigan's meltdown at '93 Worlds is the first that comes to mind.
  12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

What about Michelle Kwan at the 1997 US nationals? I think she was first after the SP (correct me if I am wrong) but had a disastrous LP and finished second to Lipinski.
  13. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Anna Ovcharova at 2011 JWC. Her SP was fantastic, beating Kanako, but then in the FS she fell twice and the jumps that she did land were all shaky and wonky looking except for the double axels. It was pretty sad, I wanted her to medal so badly, but she was 8th in the FS and wound up 5th overall, and honestly was lucky to have not dropped any lower than that.

Also DeeDee Leng at 2009 junior nationals. She won the SP, then was 3rd in the FS, but all the ladies were really off that night. Kawamura won the FS with only 3t, 3s, and some doubles, and Gao was 2nd in the FS with 3 falls and low PCS. Leng managed to win somehow, but it was pretty unusual.
  14. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Anna Ovcharova at 2011 JWC. Her SP was fantastic, beating Kanako, but then in the FS she fell twice and the jumps that she did land were all shaky and wonky looking except for the double axels. It was pretty sad, I wanted her to medal so badly, but she was 8th in the FS and wound up 5th overall, and honestly was lucky to have not dropped any lower than that.

Also DeeDee Leng at 2009 junior nationals. She won the SP, then was 3rd in the FS, but all the ladies were really off that night. Kawamura won the FS with only 3t, 3s, and some doubles, and Gao was 2nd in the FS with 3 falls and low PCS. Leng managed to win somehow, but it was pretty unusual.

Also Kiri Baga at 2010 Jr. Nationals. Agnes easily won, but Kiri was 2nd going into the FS then fell 3 or 4 times and finished 4th and only just barely, getting beaten by Lindsay Davis and being something like 9th in the FS or something. Yikes.
  15. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Wow poor Daisuke, that's a rough program :S

JJ goes in and brings up Chan (expected; the "in thing" to do lately is bash Chan), although his performance at worlds wasn't THAT bad that it should be mentioned here, or at least it shouldn't be mentioned as the worst one. Others have done much worse :p
  16. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I guess we could have a subcategory: worst freeskate by a leader after the short program that was lucky enough to hang on for a gold medal

Which other gold-medal-winning programs have been mentioned so far? Hamilton 1984 Olympics . . . any others?

Lambiel 2005 comes to mind. He did win the freeskate (as well as the SP and qual round) thanks to everyone else having problems as well.
  17. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Someone already brought up Chan's skate this year at Worlds.
  18. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Lepisto at Skate Canada 2007 and Kerrigan 1993 Worlds were the first that came to my mind for international competitions. Kerrigan's is particularly bad in that it is one of the few pre-COP/post-figures occasions where the leader after the SP hasn't at least hung on for a medal. It seems to be a lot more common under COP, where the TES scores are somewhat less subject to protocol judging.

I recall a couple of bad ones at the junior level at Canadians. In 2009, Ronald Lam led after the SP and dropped to fourth overall with a 10th place free skate. The same year, Alexandra Najarro led the junior ladies SP and dropped to 8th after the free, with a 16th place in the free itself. The 1-16 combo is probably the biggest difference I've ever seen. I had thought there was a third example involving Ashton Tessier but it turns out that she finished 2nd in the SP at 2004 Canadians in junior ladies leading up to her 15th place free skate that had her 11th overall.
  19. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Even though she wasn't leading after the SP, Czisny's '12 World's FP was the worst skate I've seen. Just a tragedy from beginning to end.
  20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Mine also, and ITA about Kerrigan ;)
  21. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Since we're including skaters who weren't leaders after the short, Laetitia Hubert was memorable at the 1992 Olympics. She dropped from 5th in the SP to 15th in the LP with an utterly horrible LP.

Of the medalists, Nancy's 1993 world LP was memorably disastrous.
  22. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

In the subcategory, there are lots of examples from Canadian Nationals - Kurt Browning in both 1990 and 1991, Sebastien Britten in 1995, Sale & Pelletier in 2002, and both Orser and Manley in 1988 immediately come to mind, but I'm sure there are others. I think this is partly because the field is often just not deep so the second place finisher has a lot of ground to make up, and partly because Canadian judges tend to protect their champions. Oddly, the one time that they didn't protect the champion (the afore-mentioned Josee Chouinard in 1996 incident), I actually thought they should have. Josee was awful, but no one was really any better. Jennifer Robinson also had several mistakes in the free (including at least one fall) and her basic skating was miles behind Josee, but I think at that point the judges were just happy to see someone skate with a little bit of aggression and gave it to her.

One other example that's a bit of a stretch, but at 2005 Canadians in London, Meagan Duhamel had solid SP in both ladies (3rd in the SP itself, lower overall with qualifying) and pairs (4th), which were followed by disastrous free skates in both events. She fell 5 times in ladies and dropped to 7th, and I believe 3 or 4 falls in pairs, dropping to 8th.
  23. JockProf

JockProf New Member

Kerrigan in 1993 was pretty awful. Wegelius in 1982 was also sad - she only needed to finish 4th in the long program to win the world title and could not accomplish that.
  24. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I remember Verner being barely more than 2 points off the lead after the SP at 2008 Worlds. Only one fall in his LP (4t) but the score was 112. Popped axel, sal, and lutz, for 20th in the free and overall finish of 15th.

2010 Olympics Carolina Kostner had done OK in the short (7th and 10 pts back from Mao's 2nd, 15 from Yu-Na's lead--there were only 3.5 points between 3rd and 10th) but bombed the long--3 falls, a 1a-2t combo. I guess I remember more pops than that. She was 19th in the LP and 16th overall.
  25. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I was thinking Nancy Kerrigan at '93 Worlds, but Mirai at '10 Worlds was probably worse
  26. judgejudy27

I believe Kristofics Binder who was 4th in the LP landed 2 triples. I dont know if Wegelius was even capable of landing 2 triples.
  27. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I disagree. Mirai landed half her jumps to the very least (the flip, the 2x-3toe, the loop, and the final toe--kind of). Nancy landed almost no triples cleanly, besides two triple toes.
  28. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

I actually rewatched Nancy's FS and the only triples that were clean were those 2 toe's. She popped her first lutz, doubled the second, 2 footed the flip... and so on.
  29. Fudove

Fudove New Member

The worst FS that I saw live was Carolina Kostner 2009 in LA-- I still tear up when I watch it. She had incredible grace in her disappointment.
  30. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Michael Weiss's FS at 2001 Nationals was absolutely disastrous. He was 5th in the free skate was lucky to be that high-- I remember being really annoyed by the fact that he beat a nearly clean Johnny Weir in the FS.
  31. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Its been mentioned before but Chen at the Champion Series Finale in 1996 was truly disastrous. Afyer leading the short over Chouinard, Slutskaya and Kwan, she landed only 2 triples in the long. Dropped to 5th and 4th overall in a field of maybe 6 or 7 at most.
  32. kukkura

kukkura Member

Wegelius tried only one triple (salchow) and missed that. She never landed a clean triple in major championships. No one expected her to win (even if only 4th place in the free was needed) but dropping to 9th was a bit of a surprise.
  33. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

1982 World Championships ladies was probably the worst ever final group overall for a long program (Kristiina Wegeius 12th, Debbie Cottrill 17th, Kay Thomson 9th, Elena Vodorezova 8th in the segment).
  34. duane

duane New Member

The biggest train wreck that comes to mind is Irina at 1994 Skate America. I don't think I've ever seen so many falls in one program.

And definitely Nancy at 1993 Worlds. You can see the uncertainty in her eyes from the moment she got on the ice. It appears she can't even hold her pose at the beginning of the program, as she's shaking.
  35. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

Is there any truth to the rumor that Nancy had an in-grown toe-nail that had to be removed, causing the bad skate? I remember reading that here (or on FS World...) way back when.
  36. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

wrong thread
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  37. Clay

Clay Active Member

I'm not sure, but it was hardly a surprise. It was more of a surprise that the competition was so tight that she fell to 9th in the free. Nancy looked just as nervous at US Nationals (visibly shaking before and during her performance) and every fluff piece at the time focused on her increased pressure. The pro/am a few weeks later was just as sad to watch. All of that made the 1993-1994 season stand out even more.
  38. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

OMG I totally thought this was the thread with the poll about who had the easiest competition LOL.
  39. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

And if you look at Kerrigans performances before you see mostly poor free skates. She was able to medal in 91 and 92 cause others performed even worse, aided with being held up. She also was in the shadow of Harding and Yamaguchi. When Kristi retired, and Harding was an even bigger mess in the 92-93 season, she was not able to sustain being the top US lady expected to win gold. She finally it together her last season as an amatuer though.
  40. judgejudy27