World's Worst Commutes

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missflick, May 29, 2011.

1. missflick

missflick New Member

2. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

:eek::eek:

That's why I like Regina Saskatchewan - the two times I've been there, summer and winter, it seemed their rush hour lasted about 10 minutes.

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am convinced Baton Rouge, LA is ranked #16

4. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Something is seriously wrong here when NYC and the world's longest parking lot, the LIE, don't make the list.

5. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I'm shocked L.A. wasn't at least top 5. Being stuck in that gridlock was torture. I can't even begin to imagine how much worse those other commutes are if L.A. is ranked only at 15.

6. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm puzzled why LA is #14. The 405 freeway...takes 4 or 5 hours to get where you want to go! ;)

7. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

We're trying to get our employer to let us telework more, but the computer people don't like it because of all of the security issues.

8. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I knew Toronto would be there (#12). The 401 and DVP are nightmares.

And the 407 is even getting bad during rush hour.

9. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

I love the 407, but I've never really used it during rush hour. I actually made a u-turn on the 401 once, past Kingston, when people started getting out of their cars and it looked to be a couple of hours. I grew up on the QEW, but only drive it at night now. It was ruined by the 403.

10. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I'm surprised Atlanta isn't on that list.

11. missflick

missflick New Member

Not sure about the last two, but I drove on the 401 once, and it wasn't bad at all.

12. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

13. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Ah Toronto, the only place where I was in a traffic jam at midnight. :lol:

KatieC, I'm curious why the 403 ruined the QEW. Since I live just over the border, I've done a good deal of driving in the GTA, but I don't know the history. All I remember is before they built the 407, and finally some of the work on the QEW in the Niagara region has been finished :cheer2:

14. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

I remember reading a short story back in Jr Hi (or so). It was about how the future dealt with traffic jams (and the overpopulation that contributed to it). If a jam got bad enough, the government would come in and basically pave over the jam of cars (people and all), and just create a new road over the top of the existing one!

ETA: I found the story! It was "The Great Moveway Jam." You can read it online in PDF form here: http://krewedukat.com/GreatMoveWayJam/great_moveway_jam.htm

Hmmm....interesting. It says it was published in Omni magazine in 1979. I do remember subscribing to Omni. But I could have sworn I read the story in school, and we discussed the story in class. IIRC, it was in a book of short stories we used for that particular class. I graduated in HS 1977, so I guess not. I guess it could have been a college class, but my mental image of reading that story is from one of my HS classrooms.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  15. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I have a 45 minute commute to work. Look at the awful traffic I have to put up with.

(Sometimes I meet up to three! cars on this road.)

16. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

We used to have to take the QEW/Gardner to get most places, and it was a NIGHTMARE. Especially last summer when one lane was closed each way for Jameson Bridge reconstruction. Plus, nobody understands the concept of "passing lane" on that highway. I swear I've gotten to Niagara faster staying in the right lane while the far left dawdles at 95.

Toronto is such a mess. I've come into the city during rush hour, generally against traffic, and still run into some epic snarls. So many little accidents that effectively turn a regular street into gridlock. And that's without even taking the Don Valley Parkinglot. :p Yet our mayor wants to end the "war on the car." Because it's lack of people in vehicles that's making traffic so awful.

17. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I am surprised that a number of those cities have really good public transit systems, yet they still have terrible traffic problems. :confused: I remember being in Berlin thinking that if only my city in the US had this good a subway system our traffic wouldn't be so bad. Guess not.

18. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

that tally really doesn't say much about the criteria, particularly for the cities ranked lower than #10. The caption for one says "this city has a new mayor determined to stop the war on cars, but that will come at the expense of public transit and so traffic will continue to be a problem", but then on others it says "this city has great infrastructure for cyclists and people using public transport, but the roads have suffered, so congestion will continue". Are they calling for increasing alternative modes of transportation so people can rely less on cars (which would do more for reducing traffic than anything else :p)? For improvements on roadways so that traffic flow will be more manageable? Or just taking a snapshot and saying "commuting sux"?

My commute is pretty darned sweet and takes about 10 minutes, but occasionally traffic is bad and I don't get the walk lights when I need them :p