Worlds on NBC?

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Justathoughtabl, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Active Member

Does anyone know if NBC is going to air Worlds? I can't find anything online about it. I'm also curious about who is commentating.

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Nothing seems to be up yet.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I believe NBC will air a delayed recap broadcast like they have the past few years.

ETA: According to Heather's TV schedule site: http://heatherw.com/mk/sch.htm
    Sun. Apr. 13 3-6 Worlds NBC

4. Justathoughtabl

Thanks for the info. You'd think NBC would want to try to capitalize on post-Olympic interest, but then...it's NBC. I don't know how/why they make their decisions.

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'd give anything for the days of ABC WWOS...I'd sell my body.

6. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

NBC makes it's programing decisions based on ratings and projected revenues.

If the US Skaters had done better in Sochi they might have increased coverage. Apparently the sponsors have bailed now that the Olympics are over.
    Since D/W are not competing what reason does NBC have get excited over Worlds?

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

MrLucky, this makes complete sense.

8. Justathoughtabl

Well, you're right. I wish they'd show it on NBCSN, though.

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Why would D/W matter to NBC? They rarely show dance (and never pairs!)

10. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

D/W just won USA's first ever OGM in Ice Dancing. ABC has already snapped them up for DWTS so no Worlds for D/W.

At this point I don't think anybody in USA is buying "watch Gracie go for the Gold." Ashley did not win a medal or Oscar ;) and US Men were non-factors in Sochi.
    During NBC's GP coverage they typically did show D/W when they were competing but not much else Dance and US Pairs need to get better if they expect Natl TV coverage.

Baseball season starts soon, NCAA March Madness is coming, MLS is starting a new season, NBA and NHL are still going.
    If NBC thought there was enough interest in US figure skaters they would show more of Worlds.

There is always the internet which is a lot better than nothing.

11. RD

RD Well-Known Member

^ basically sums it up. Apart from D/W, the US skaters underwhelmed...A LOT.

12. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

NBC puts a lot of time and effort into the buildup to the Olympics and the event itself (to a greater or lesser extent). The network seems to drop its interest once the Olympics are completed. If I remember correctly, they did not air 2010 Worlds either. They may have aired the competition on a channel I do not have access to like Universal, but not on NBC. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

13. Justathoughtabl

Well, they do air the entire Grand Prix season on weekends. And they aired 4CC, though some time after it took place (to build excitement for the Olympics, I guess). And of course Nationals, after which a YouTube of Jason Brown's FS went viral.

14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

They only showed them during one of their GP events, and we didn't see the event- just their skate. (They also showed V/M once- that was it during the GP events)

NBC doesn't care about dance. I think they see it during the Olympics like curling. If the USA were winning Gold in that, we'd see it during the Olympics, then never again.

15. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

NBC is showing worlds on universal sports. They're just doing a consolodated version on the non cable network. The top six of ladies and men I suspect.

16. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I'm with you on that! I miss the good ole days of coverage on ABC. :)

17. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I don't even think the US skaters' results have that much to with it. In 1994 there was so much interest in skating that watching Surya battle Yuka Sato got prime time coverage. I think the need for USA skaters to be individual stars is symptomatic of how blah skating appears to the American public. They can't relate to it as entertainment as easily as they once did. Some of this is the scoring system, but some is also the craptastically un-imaginative broadcasting production in age of audience segmentation and unlimited channels.

18. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

NBC is awful. I watched NBC's coverage of the closing ceremonies a couple weeks ago, and they cut out a significant portion of the event.

19. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Yeah NBC does not have very talented producers. Why did they have Hammond primetime instead of Terry Gannon or even awful Andrea Joyce? The professionals make all the difference for the lay audience. Scott and Sandra seemed heavily censored and unprepared to narrate a coherent story line.

20. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Weak TV coverage.

21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

That's disgusting. Many of us don't even get Universal sports depending on where we live. NBC sucks.

22. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Well Vash it's not like you can't subscribe to ice network.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  23. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

For anyone interested, the Universal broadcasts of Worlds are being shown currently on Sundance Network. Check for times.

24. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:respec:

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

...or the coverage we once got on ESPN!

26. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

That's right, and isn't ESPN an affiliate with ABC? I also remember when CBS used to show some figure skating. :)

27. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Hey, even FOX used to show some cheesefests way back when! As for Worlds, guess they just didn't bid high enough.

But hey--there's good news!! Rumor has it that next year there will be a whole week's worth of coverage of Worlds on the Food Network!!!! And who knows--maybe even a little skating too!! ;)

28. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Other way around...

29. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It was so lame today. Not even worth watching. I'll stick to YouTube and live streaming for next season...if I'm still interested in skating. It's waning fast.

30. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Darn I wish I'd come back to this thread in time! My cable provider carries Sundance Net!