Worlds before US Nationals/US Nationals before Worlds?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by FSWer, Nov 16, 2010.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,I read in a book that the Worlds used to come before the Nationals. But then it got switch around. So that Nationals came before Worlds. Do we know of any history to WHY it use to be the other way around,as well as a history to a reason to WHY it was decided it need to be switched? Thanks.

2. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why they would have Worlds before Nationals...that is weird. How did they know who was the best to send? Just from previous competitions?

That is like having the playoffs after the Superbowl.

3. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Worlds was held when the ISU wanted to hold it. USFSA didn't have a say in that matter.

So they needed to schedule US competitions around it.

I don't know exactly which years they held Nationals after Worlds -- would have to research. But if was after regional competitions were introduced, so that skaters had to go through regionals and sectionals to qualify for Nationals . . . and many clubs at the time did not have access to summer ice so the majority of competitors couldn't start training until September or October each season, it may have made sense to hold the culmination of the US qualifying season (i.e., Nationals) at the end of the season rather than in the middle.

So they would choose world teams based on the previous year's national results.

4. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Skating lore says Maribel Owen Jr. made a speech or report to USFSA at a meeting, convincing it to change the scheduling of nationals so that it would be before worlds. I believe 1958 was the final year nationals was held after worlds, but I may be mistaken.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

I wish U.S. Nationals was even earlier so some of our top skaters would show up to 4CC.

6. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Our top skaters have gone to 4CC for the past few years (the exception being the Olympic year, of course, since there was very little time between Nationals and the Olympics). There have been a couple withdrawals here and there, but overall, the World team + the next skaters in line to fill all the spots = the team for 4CC.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  7. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

You are right. I guess I still stuck in the Kwan/Cohen/Hughes era where they would have rather :summer: than skate.

8. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

That's what I read too. I just wondered what the origan of the switch was and why it was that way.

9. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

The U.S. ladies kicked butt after the 2006 Nationals. Gold and bronze at 4CC, silver at the Olympics, gold and bronze at Worlds. This year, we just managed 1 medal in those 3 events. Sasha and Michelle never went to 4CC.

TRIVIA FACT : When Katy Taylor won the 2006 4CC, she became the last lady of any nationality to win her senior ISU debut. ( And I THINK she was the first lady to do that in decades. )

10. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I'm so glad she won something big. I miss that girl!

11. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Does anyone know what KT is doing now?

12. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

Driving a pink Hummer?

13. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Last I heard, she was in college. About a year ago, somebody made this video using other YouTube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdezF_tZ6j8