Worlds 2012 Ladies Predictions

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by longingfornia, Nov 14, 2011.

1. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

When it comes to skating skills(deep edges, versatile turns with speed) and jumps technique-wise(scale, coverage, height, distance, etc), Carolina is way ahead of the rest of ladies who will possibly show up at this coming worlds. Maybe she is yet to include difficult lutz and flip willingly in her programs but if she does which I'm sure she will by March, Carolina would be the most contending lady.
    Mao's 2a-3t at NHK was very impressive given what she had shown for the last couple of seasons, but her flutz was still there, and her flips which used to amaze me with the huge scale has not come back yet. It's still a working process and giving out some positive results finally. But Mao's still got lots of things to prove further to be the most desirable candidate for the world champion IMO.

If she does all those things right and tremendously improves her technique, Mao is gonna be the one to beat and when she's on the top of the podium this season, it'll be her third title and that's what no one else has done since Michelle Kwan. That's kinda awesome but will she be able to deliver that?

2. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

LOL

... Anyway. I'll go..

1. Asada
    2. Costner
    3. Czisny
    4. Suzuki
    5. Nagasu [ hopefully :) ]

If Mirai doesn't make it then I think Leonova would be the 5th spot. It'll be a crime if we have 3 spots in ladies for 2013 and only 2 spots in men :|

3. miki88

miki88 New Member

What has Kostner actually improved? :confused: She went to Frank and then left, probably because she didn't want to do those run-throughs. She always had great skating skills. So that is not an improvement. The only thing she changed is to scale back her jump difficulty so she can skate cleaner. :p

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I'm with Amy03 and others who recognize Mao's improvements. It took a lot of courage for Mao to decide that she needed to rework her jump technique. For that alone!!! My God to take that risk and to come back and struggle while trying to perfect a new approach. Mao has heart, courage and such a beautiful spirit. So happy to see her inner butterfly taking wing once again.

Funny how much I liked Carolina last season and the season before, when a lot of people were still criticizing her. Now there seems to be a lot of fans getting back on her bandwagon. With her talent, not to mention her political support, Carolina should have been World champion at least 2 or 3 times by now. The reason she hasn't won gold before is due to her own failures under the pressure of the hype and expectations placed on her in her country (and still she's often been kept in the medals undeservedly). Carolina has had the opportunity to attend Worlds since 2003, and she has a spotty record for having had all those opportunities. Granted, she looks good this year, and I say it's about time. Let's see how she fares in the long term. Still, I don't like this leaving out difficult jumps just to stay clean. I know many in this generation of skaters are allowed to get away with doing that under IJS.

5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

She changed her jumping technique. She had a big problem in her jumping technique with her hip (on the landing) before going to Frank Carroll. That's why her landings were so bad circa 2008-2009. She changed her 3Flip entrance, from a mohawk to a 3-turn, she changed her loop technique from a 3-turn sequence to a curve.
    She improved a lot her edges (very good before, and amazing now), and improved a lot the use of her arms.

6. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Yes, fair enough, that Carolina has made some improvements too. I still don't like her leaving out jumps. No question, going to Frank helped Carolina. She now seems happier back with her former coach and in a setting she's more comfortable with, plus having applied what she learned from Frank Carroll and Christa Fassi. I read that Carolina didn't like living in the U.S.

7. miki88

miki88 New Member

I really don't see that many changes. But then we all tend to notice even the most minute improvements in our favorite skaters. ;) The biggest change I see is that she is skating much cleaner these past two years but then I can't rule out the fact that cutting back on difficulty played a part in that.

8. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

1) Flatt
    2) Suguri
    3) Zhang

But actually.... 1) Kostner 2) Asada 3) Czisny 4) Suzuki 5) Nagasu 6) Leonava

9. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

I don't get this cutting out difficulty all of you talk about. In the competitions she entered she had the highest TES. As many pointed out, almost all the ladies have one jump they find more difficult an the others and omit it. Just because Carolina happens not to include the jump who is worth the most, there is no difference with witch one a skater take away.

10. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

I know she doesn't get great PCS, but does anyone think that Shelepen could make the top 6? She is doing two 3-3s in her long program.

11. longingfornia

longingfornia New Member

i think Miki would have won this thing again.

cheers

12. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

If Leonova can come in 4th, I definitely think Shelepen could make top 6. I personally think there's a chance she could pull a Gatchinski and wind up on the podium considering how wide open the medals are this season and that the favorites all have histories of being inconsistent...

13. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I don't want to jinx any of the ladies, particularly my faves, but here is my prediction (more like my wish:lol:)

1.Mao
    2.Carolina
    3.Akiko
    4.Alissa
    5.Haruka
    6.Leonova

(I am assuming that Miki will not compete, otherwise she would have been on the podium)

14. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Miki would have been no lock for the podium, merely a contender for it. I expect several women to go over 200 points by Worlds, which Miki in her life has never done in competition. Miki is the flukiest and worst 2 time World winner ever, she just lucked into peaking in one of the worst years ever for ladies skating (2011) and another where the favorites all had untimely fluke like errors at the big event (2007).

I doubt Miki will even bother coming back either. The Russians will be age eligible for Worlds next year, Yu Na might be back, Mao should be fully back by then, and a couple of skaters should have gained confidence and momentum from their World medals this year. She seems like a smart women and surely knows going out with a fortunate 2nd World title is the perfect note to end things on.

15. Belinda

Belinda Member

My wish:
    1. Mao
    2. Alissa
    3. Carolina

My forecast:
    1. Elizaveta
    2. Carolina
    3. Adelina

16. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

For 2012 Worlds? Elizaveta won't be age-eligible until 2013.

ETA: Actually, I just checked her birthdate-and it appears Adelina Sotnikova won't be age eligible either-she doesn't turn 16 until July of next year.

17. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

That's right. :wall:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Don't be mean. :p

19. Proustable

Proustable New Member

2011, Four continents

I'm not sure we'll see the 200 point barrier broken as readily as you do.

20. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think the main challengers for the gold/podium will be:

Mao Asada (gold)
    Akiko Suzuki (gold)
    Carolina Kostner (gold)
    Alissa Czisny (podium)
    Mirai Nagasu (podium)
    Kanako Murakami (podium)
    Alena Leonova (podium)
    Viktoria Helgesson (podium)

This is assuming the three Japanese skaters will be Mao, Akiko, and Kanako, and the two US skaters will be Alissa and Mirai, but Ashley could shake that up. I think it's more than likely Leonova, Helgesson and Kostner will not have their spots 'stolen' by another countryman.

I feel like I'm forgetting someone important, though. Imai crossed my mind but I don't think she's really podium material yet, and so did Phaneuf, but with the way she's been skating this season I don't think she is podium material either. OH - I know who it is, Korpi, but I think she's probably a long shot for a medal. Gedevanishvili too.

21. Belinda

Belinda Member

Hi, thank you for pointing out.
    OK, my forecast now is:
    1. Carolina
    2. Mao
    3. Akiko

!!!

22. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I think Czisny is more a contender for gold this year than Murakami or Helgesson are for the podium. Murakami and Helgesson have done nothing that indicates they are podium threats this year.

23. query5

query5 New Member

personally i think it can be
    mao asada
    alissa czisny
    carolina kostner

akiko suzuki
    the russian ladies depending on who they send.

miki ando if she goes
    kanako if miki doesn't go.

not mirai why-she only fights for it when she wants to.
    like in cc she attack in short,but she didn't attack in the long program

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

My hope:

1. Carolina Kostner (land a 3f-3t, which she's been working on, in both programs! Maybe get the lutz back enough to land it once in the LP?)
    2. Alissa Czisny (with a clean program and at least six triples)
    3. Akiko Suzuki (with a clean program)

Realistically, I'd like any one of the three of them to win it. I'd love for them all to skate their best in both programs. I want Carolina to win so she can feel like she can retire, if she's ready. I've loved her speed, footwork, unique music selections, and choreography for a long time. :)

My prediction... ehrm... let's think positively! :D

25. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it will be:
    Mao Asada
    Carolina Kostner
    Akiko Suzuki

I think there's a chance that these three women will medal as well. Obviously, Csizny has a great shot as well.

26. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Dude, she's been INJURED!!! Do you expect her to totally obliterate her knee just so she can say she attempted the lutz and flip???

27. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I expect Carolina will win it -- and oddly, this is the first season I'd be happy with her winning it. (I'm sure she'd be thrilled to hear it, right? :lol: ) I like her much better this season than ever before.

I'd like to see Akiko and Alissa take the other two podium spots, but Mao may have something to say about that. (Ideally, I'd LOVE to see Ashley take one, but I don't think she's there just yet.)

28. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Whoever has the biggest skating, hopefully also with the 3/3 will win.

1. Carolina.

2 and 3. Alissa and Mao or Mao and Alissa.

29. Glide2

Glide2 New Member

Ashley Wagner will finish in the top 5. Kostner will choke and finish 3rd. A Japanese Skater will finish 2nd, maybe Akiko. Who knows with Alissa, either 1st or 4th or 6th or 11th. Throw a dart on that one. I luv Mao's long program this year. I hope that she skates well. Maybe Leonova will finish top 6 or 7.

1. Mao
    2. don't know (could be US skater)
    3. Akiko or
    3. Kostner
    5. Alissa or 2.
    6. Ashley
    7. Leonova
    8. Nagasu ? or European TBD
    9. Gedevanishvilli

No way Flatt will make the World team. Splatt. Splatt. (but i luv her, really. just not her year for competition.)

30. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

I'd love these three on the podium too.