Worlds 2011 Tokyo

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Hedwig, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

3. julesgotheblues

julesgotheblues New Member

I'm trying my best to go to the Europeans, but the Worlds are out of the question. I can't imagine how could I ever afford a ticket to Japan.

4. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

By saving money. ;)

Actually, just looking at prices for accommodation and food, Japan will probably be significantly cheaper than Switzerland. :shuffle:

5. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

I'd love to go. I really wanna got to Tokyo in the near future. I will try to go in June for one of the shows.

6. julesgotheblues

allezfred-- I can see your point, but I can find low-cost flights to Switzerland and I might stay with friends, whereas a plane ticket to Japan would cost me a year's wage ;)

7. MikiAndoFan#1

How much can a trip to Japan (including tickets, food and hotel) cost? I think Portugal doesn't even fly to Japan, so basically I'd have to go to Spain and then to Japan.

:shuffle:

8. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Yoyogi seems to be much larger than the National Gymnasium, where the 2007 Worlds were held. Also, Yoyogi is closer to "major fashion action" such as Harajuku...and closer to Shibuya area, so it should be easier to find nearby hotels.

Yup, I'll be there. One foot is already there, so to speak.

I'm just waiting for the first time that a Worlds might be held in Seoul. Perhaps the next Asian host for a Worlds will be Korea (2013, 2014 or whenever)?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  10. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I'll be there! :D

11. gosia.douceur

gosia.douceur New Member

I found some not very expensive (well, by the standards I had set for this ;)) flights to Tokyo from Poland (not direct though, IIRC) so I'm considering going. I'm so tempted after Worlds in Torino, which was awesome!

12. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I think I'll be there, actually I was wondering if it would be crazy enough to go to four continets too :rolleyes:
    And I'm very interested in the FSU group;)

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

From the US, flights to Tokyo are not expensive if you purchase them in advance... Back in September I did Chicago-Tokyo round trip for $800 which is a great price - flights to Europe cost more than that. However accommodation in Tokyo is expensive as is food, not to mention the cost of the tickets themselves :(

14. MikiAndoFan#1

Please take me with you!

:lol:

15. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Seriously? Hmmm. Food for thought.

However, if I had a chance to travel to Japan I would certainly not waste my time in an arena, because I've never been there yet!

16. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Eys, that's a really big deal. I barely saw any of Moscow whatsoever when I went to Worlds in 2005, and I REALLY regretted it both then and now :(

17. senorita

senorita New Member

I want to go to Japan too, but since it would be my first time, I find it hard to combine Worlds with tourism and it is too much money to spend just to see Worlds. I saw not much of Tallin and I regretted it also. It was freezing but there were a couple of things I wish I had seen apart from chocolates and food. I was almost all day in Arena and the Shopping center near by. In Russia it was better cause I stayed three days after the competition was over, but to see Moscow and museums and walks in three days, it took so much running that our feet went blue from pain.
    In Torino i tried to do the same like Moscow in between the competitions and now I m sleeping all week to recover!
    I think Euros sound more optimistic to go!

18. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Or combine it. :) That is the way I am planning to do it. Spend a week in Tokyo for Worlds and see a bit of Tokyo and then travel around Japan for 2 weeks. That would be my dream holiday!

19. senorita

senorita New Member

Three weeks in Japan? Wow! I m jealous! I think if i did it with apartments, flights and all I would die broke after!:wideeyes::(

20. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

21. julesgotheblues

Define 'not so very expensive', please? Not that I'd ever dream of actually going, but reaching Poland is easy for me, and then--.

22. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Sure, once an official website / ticketing contact details are available. :)

23. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

I am considering going and bringing Mr. MaatTheViking. We have never been to Japan and would definitely combine it with some tourism, so we would probably not want to see all the events, though it will depend on the scheduling.

I would be interested if we do the group ticketing thing :)

24. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

:swoon:

Unfortunately mini-Aslis #1 and #2 go :drama: enough during my 3-4 short business trips a year, and Mr. Asli would not be too thrilled of my leaving him with the little princesses and making a three-week tour of Japan on my own.:rofl:

However this year I'm determined to go to the Euros, at least for the second half of the week. :)

25. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

I'm going with a group of friends and we are already planning the trip. The competition is confirmed at Yoyogi. We first heard pricing and tickets would be available in August, but now our organizer was told that pricing will be available in October w/tix on sale in November - it generally sounds in flux so I would stay alert starting in the summer.

We're doing what Hedwig is planning - traveling around Japan for about 9 days, then 5 days in Tokyo for Worlds. We're pretty hardened veterans who don't watch practices anymore and are pretty disgruntled with the IJS so we will have plenty of time to sightsee during the competition and we are so disgusted with dance we may not attend any of that... Worlds is really more like an excuse to travel Japan! :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  26. midori

midori Well-Known Member

After the worlds would be a great season to trip to Japan. You may also watch many Japanese getting crazy about cherry blossoms :D

- What arena will it be in?
    Yoyogi Gymnasium. The past ISU events in Tokyo were always held in this arena, except 2007 Worlds.

- How many seats?
    They have 10037 seats including temporary ones, according to the seating chart for 2005 GPF held in the same arena.
    Seating chart for fixed seats: http://naash.go.jp/yoyogi/sisetu/ichitai/tabid/67/Default.aspx

The arena is not small but Tokyo has 14millon people and more in vicinity.
    GPF in last December and NHK Trophy in the last season, held in the same arena, both went sold out in a minute :drama:

- Is there an official website already?
    Not yet IFAIK. I would not expect much for the official website. It is usually just a crap without practical information. Especially for the english one.

- When do the tickets go on sale?
    For public individuals in Japan, usually about 3 month before the event.
    Not sure for people from abroad. Last GPF they were selling by email.

:cheer: I am also interested in the group ticketing!

I think we should act before that. Last time the official website in English just told us about ticket that "all were completey sold out."

Besides, in Japan public sale is not done by a sole vendor but by 3-7 of them. Event holder allocates seats to each company. I think we should contact JSF well before the allotment is finished. When the ticket information for public is released, it can be too late.

27. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I have never been to Japan (would love to go, though!) but would feel a bit nervous touring there on my own. If anyone is interested in doing some group travel before or after Worlds, I would be VERY amenable. :)

28. melonmelon

melonmelon New Member

I hope that I will be there..
    It will be very difficult for foreigner to get events ticket. T.T

29. gosia.douceur

gosia.douceur New Member

When I look now, it turns out the flights are actually not as cheap as I initially thought - I thought there were return ones for around 2000 PLN (= around 498 euro) but now it looks like the cheapest return flight is 2916 PLN (= around 726 euro) :confused:, which seems to be some kind of a promotion if you fly to Japan on 7th July this year the earliest. Maybe the ones I was thinking of at first weren't return flights, which I didn't notice? Anyway, I posted a question on what kind of prices I might expect for a flight to Japan on a discussion board related to cheap flights and will let you know as soon as I get an answer.

I've never been to Japan either and if I end up going, I'd love to spend some time before or after the competition sightseeing or maybe travelling to some other town(s) but it depends on several factors - how much $ I'd have for this, if my school/work schedule allows to take more days off etc.

The idea with group ticketing is a wonderful one!

30. Yunaonlyhope

Yunaonlyhope New Member

I've been to Tokyo twice and I speak some Japanese (JPLT level3). I know some nice, budget hotels in Tokyo and Yokohama as well. Count me in if you are organizing a group tour, because I'm definitely interested in going.

Navigating Tokyo subway is not that hard, Go to "info" centre on subway stations. They will get you a map and draw the line along the route you want to take to your destination. Japanese in general are extremely friendly towards visitors and often go out of their way to help tourists.

Japan outside of Tokyo in February and March is just gorgeous. I strongly recommend visiting Shizuoka, Yokohama as well. Close to Tokyo, yet you can enjoy the beauty of Japan in quieter environment. The only inconvenience I experience was lack of banks that do foreign exchange and indoor smoking. Other than that, I loved, loved, and loved my 2-week stay in Tokyo.